Quick Spark Plug Question

SlowRedFire

Established Member
I know im sure this has been disucussed numerous times, but i just wanted to double check if this will be correct for my setup. I'm about to change the plugs in my car and its got the factory plugs in it im pretty sure gapped around .040.. I'm planning on running NGK TR-6's in it gapped at .030 with this be about right for the modifications i have on my car? :shrug:

Ported Blower, Plenum, and Throttle body
2.76 upper/4lb lower
Stock MAF and Injectors
UPR cai
Bassanni Cat-less X w/Borla Stingers
Kenne Bell BAP

Thanks,
Billy :beer:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
That should be perfect....I run TR6's religously, even at big boost. Dyno tested them back to back vs a colder plug at same afr and found 20hp difference.....

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
ok... haha

Thought about running a cooler plug this year, but had no real reason to swap besides running a coolder plug. I have always ran TR6's gapped @ .026-.028, no issues.

Decided to swap to a BR7EF, and dyno the car with my recent changes.

Long story short......BR7EF = cooler plug than tr6, 1 step cooler.

Run 4 was the BR7EF
Run 5 was the tr6

AFR timing was the same exact...same dyno, within 30 minutes of each other, same cooldown engine temps etc......both plugs looked the same after each pull upon inspection....

TR6 was up 20whp/10tq :beer::beer:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

KJ Hoppus

Black2k3svt
Established Member
I ran a couple sets of tr6 with no issues. I swaped to tr6ix per whipple when I put the 2.3 on. No issues with them either.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
That should be perfect....I run TR6's religously, even at big boost. Dyno tested them back to back vs a colder plug at same afr and found 20hp difference.....

same here...tr6s at 16psi and on the bottle.

had similar results as broke7 with the br7ef's at the track. lost a tenth or so and 1mph on back to back runs which would be 15-20hp my guess

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member

What fuel do you use? And how much boost?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
ok... haha

Thought about running a cooler plug this year, but had no real reason to swap besides running a coolder plug. I have always ran TR6's gapped @ .026-.028, no issues.

Run 4 was the BR7EF
Run 5 was the tr6

AFR timing was the same exact...same dyno, within 30 minutes of each other, same cooldown engine temps etc......both plugs looked the same after each pull upon inspection....

Interesting great info...
Well I'm running TR7IXs part #3690, like on Lethal's site with my mods in sig.
I used to run the TR6s part #4177 when I was just an upper pulley car.
Made the change for a little better idle...
Would love to give it a shot with before and after dyno comparing the Tr6s vs TR7IXs as if I'm not mistaken that the TR7IXs are two heat ranges colder than the stockers, is this correct?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
What fuel do you use? And how much boost?

110 Sunoco Leaded, 26psi

Interesting great info...
Well I'm running TR7IXs part #3690, like on Lethal's site with my mods in sig.
I used to run the TR6s part #4177 when I was just an upper pulley car.
Made the change for a little better idle...
Would love to give it a shot with before and after dyno comparing the Tr6s vs TR7IXs as if I'm not mistaken that the TR7IXs are two heat ranges colder than the stockers, is this correct?

should be 2 ranges cooler than stock (7's that is)

Interesting. I'm running BR7EFs here.

Did you run them how they were gapped out of the box?

Gapped at .024 outa the box, checked and double checked. I run my tr6's the same gap as well.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Interesting. I'm running BR7EFs here.

Did you run them how they were gapped out of the box?

I see E85 in your sig. Have you tried the TR6's? I think the hotter plug would work better bc the E85 burns cooler. Would be interesting to find out if others get the same results as broke7 and I.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
ok... haha

Run 4 was the BR7EF
Run 5 was the tr6

I'm a little confused. If you click your graph run 4 is the highest HP with the BR7EF. Run 5 is the TR6 with the same pulleys and timing and it DROPPED 20HP/10TQ.

Is something typo-ed in the graph?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Every car is different. Some swear by the tr6's but they gave my car a slight hesitation/tugging feel at speeds up to 40mph. I switched to the tr6ix and it greatly improved.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
I'm in the market for some new plugs but I can't make up my mind on witch to run... I've been reading on plugs for a while now! I'm currently running TR6's from previous owner. I always run Irradium plugs on my other vehicles with great results... Smoother idle, throttle response! Aren't TR6's cheap copper plugs? It's like running Valero 87 octane instead of Chevron 91!:shrug:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
If comparing metals only copper is a better conductor. Iridium does not degrade as fast in the combustion chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread