I'M BACK! Suaveflooder's "Diamond in the Rough" Journal

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Well after a year, I'm back. I've been looking for a car the last couple weeks and some of them have been beautiful! Stock all the way to a whippled 10th with 16k miles.

Then I get on the forums this morning and I have "03 10th Anniversary (Torch Red)" in my mailbox. I open the link and get my first idea of the car. Doesn't sound so bad.

As the day went on, I talked with the owner who bought the car six years ago in immaculate condition. Then a surprise came along in the form of a baby. Priorities shifted from the car to the baby rightfully so.

So this is it. My diamond in the rough. I have a long road ahead of me getting it back into shape, but it'll happen slowly....I'm hoping to have it where I want it in two years or so.

Going to focus on the important first. It is in serious need of an alignment, and the diff bushings are shot. Car clunks every time you get on or off the gas. Then, the plugs need to be changed as well as all the fluids. In the meantime, I'm going to start working on giving the car a good detail and seeing what the damage is. Front bumper will have to be replaced and the lights are oxidized as well as the paint. I'm hoping some elbow grease and a long couple days will bring most of the paint back to life and whatever it doesn't is going to be repainted. Hood will be a must on repaint and the rear bumper looks like it's going to need a repaint too.

Plans for the car are:
- Bruces bushing kit
- 26 spline input shaft
- H&R race springs/MM CC plates
- Subframe connectors
- X-pipe
- New paint where needed
- 10.5 satin stockers in the rear
- Posi port with a 2.93 upper/ 4# lower and SBTB
- E85 :rockon:

So, on to the pictures. I will update this thread as things progress. I'm finalizing everything this week and picking the car up next Saturday.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023-2.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg
DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Update 1 post 54 (Cleaning up the "track wheels")

Update 2 post 67 (Bought the car....already problems!!)

Update 3 post 89 (Starting the clean up)

Update 4 post 94 (Drivable! Final body damage report)

Update 5 post 105 (Dropping the differential)

Update 6 post 113 (Opening the diff....some bad news)

Update 7 post 120 (Things are going slow)

Update 8 post 129 (The end to a REALLY long week)

Update 9 post 132 (The push is over)

Update 10 post 139 (The little things)

Update 11 post 162 (Let there be light!)

Update 12 post 177 (realization....time for a break)

Update 13 post 187 (some bumper prep)

Update 14 post 199 (BUMP!-ER)

Update 15 post 224 (Let's make some noise)

Update 16 post 239 (a little here and big brake kit there)

Update 17 post 262 (bullet wound)

Update 18 post 275 (rainy day = ported TB and plenum)

Update 19 post 278 (revamping the track wheels...time for a new look)

Update 20 post 288 (Brake cooling ducts)

Update 21 post 298 (a little more ugly, but functional New radiator air dam)

Update 22 post 326 (time to get serious)

Update 23 post 337 (why can't I just take the easy way and buy something that doesn't need to be worked on!!)

Update 24 post 350 (Finally I have official numbers! Oh, and correcting the "ported" plenum)

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
Absolute filth. Good luck :D

That gentleman/gentlelady (?) should get a stern word on how to take care of a vehicle...

Ill make sure and take some pics of it next to my car so it looks worse ;)

Sick SVT

Established Member
Congrats. I saw your post on socal stangs yesterday, then today you have one. I love TR...but im biased towards OW! :beer:

laruei

Established Member
It happens cause they thought it was a minivan for hauling kids around... *Im guessing*

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
congrats. Cant wait to see the progress!

ME TOO! I'm dying to get to work! It's going to be a long week!

Congrats. I saw your post on socal stangs yesterday, then today you have one. I love TR...but im biased towards OW! :beer:

Truth be told, so am I. My first cobra was a torch red, so it's kind of a "good times" sort of a thing.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Normal wear and tear for 6 year old car. If everyone had immaculate detailing habits then we could expect more. Good car to turn around into a gem.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Normal wear and tear for 6 year old car. If everyone had immaculate detailing habits then we could expect more. Good car to turn around into a gem.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. My old cobra had very similar damage. It was a priority at the time so I never let it go more than a day before it was repaired. He had different priorities. IMHO a kid is much more important than a car.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Good luck!

Looks like minor work only. Should be a rewarding project.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Good luck!

Looks like minor work only. Should be a rewarding project.

Most of it is.....there's just a lot of minor to be fixed. In all honesty, most of the cosmetic stuff wont be touched until January. I'm going to start with buffing out the best I can and then go from there. By summer she should look pretty good and be ready for bushings. It's got a new clutch, but is in need of a flywheel so I'm probably going to drop the tranny next month

Users who are viewing this thread