the book thread

hoamskilet

Established Member
I've had some time off work recovering from a knee surgery so I've finally had some time to knock out a few books. Thought it would be good to start a thread people can post up any books they've read along with a short little review:

shit-my-dad-says-book.jpg

F'ing hilarious. It's a short read, which never hurts. It's basically stories from this guys years growing up and the brutally honest shit his dad would say.

1306014-L.jpg

I'm sure a lot of people on here have read this one. It was awesome to read the behind the scenes stuff at SVT and how they got 03/04 project done in such a short amount of time. An absolute must read for any mustang fan.

400000000000000039567_s4.png

I'm about 2/3 the way through this one. It's simply incredible. This is the story about the blackhawk pilot that got shot down and captured in Mogadishu (blackhawk down). You don't have to be into military stuff to appreciate this book. It never ceases to blow me away when reading of the extraordinary things our soldiers do in the middle of battle. He was only held for 11 days, but the shit he went through is just nuts (a little teaser, the guy had a broken back and femur that he dealt with along with a broken eye socket from being clubbed in the face with an arm that was torn off one of our soldiers they killed and tore apart). Highly recommend.

ed-macy-apache.jpg

Another awesome book. Ed Macy was a British Marine that was a part of their first Apache crew. This book takes you through the Apache, his training, and his time spent flying missions in Afghanistan. Some of the chapters literally had my hands sweating they were so intense and I ended up readying the last 1/2 of the book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. Another highly recommended read.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those books you mentioned sound really good. I'll have to look into a couple of them.

Stax

Established Member
really the Dan Brown books like The DaVinci Code and Lost symbol.

DaVinci Code was good, dont wast your time with Lost Symbol, it was disappointing. One good one is The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver. Its about a guy that commits identity theft and murders people as the people whos identity he assumed while leaving evidence at the scene to set up those whos identity he stole.

Coiled03

Established Member
Just read the latest Tom Clancy book, "Dead or Alive", and f'ing loved it!!

clancy_822a7160558__348922t.jpg

TGL211

Established Member
Lone Survivor is a great read and a true stroy about the Navy Seals in Afghanistan. Gives some interesting insight into the war and our challenges there as well.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
I liked Shooter (about a sniper in Iraq)
ALSO if you like WW2 Stuff I highly recommend Eugene Sledge's book, With the Old Breed. ([ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Old_Breed[/ame])
Parts of the HBO Series Pacific where taken from this book. It is a great read not a lot of filler but Brutal, how it was on Peleliu and Okinawa. I don't see how they did it.
another one thats along same lines in by R.V Burgen Islands of the Damned.

Last edited:

assasyn

Established Member
This is a fun read so far.
zombie_survival_guide.jpg

Read this over the summer. Great easy read.
204470415.jpg

Other than that I read some baby/infant/toddler books. Babywise is great for those with new kiddos.

only a gt

Established Member
Just finished Stephen King's newsest, Full Dark No Stars. It was a collection of three short stories, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I do most of his stuff.

Currently reading Vince Flynn's American Assassin, very good so far, especially if you enjoy the Mitch Rapp series.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I liked Shooter (about a sniper in Iraq)
ALSO if you like WW2 Stuff I highly recommend Eugene Sledge's book, With the Old Breed. (With the Old Breed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Parts of the HBO Series Pacific where taken from this book. It is a great read not a lot of filler but Brutal, how it was on Peleliu and Okinawa. I don't see how they did it.
another one thats along same lines in by R.V Burgen Islands of the Damned.

oh, sweet. I wanted to pick this up after watching the pacific but forgot about it.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been reading a lot of sci-fi lately. Niven & Lerner's "Fleet of Worlds" series has been great.

Also Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter" was a terrific sci-fi read.

Non-fiction science for everyone: "The Road to Reality," by Roger Penrose.

I second Hybred's nomination for Ben Rich's "Skunkworks." A biography that reads like an adventure centered around my favorite airplane, the Blackbird; also featuring the Stealth Fighter and the U2.

Light humor: anything by Terry Pratchett.

Best sci-fi: anything by Niven and Pournelle, but especially "Legacy of Heorot."

Jim Snover

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Looks like I might have to pick up Zombies and In The Company Of Hereos!

Here's a good one:
14sl07o.jpg

Some of you might have seen the movie that came out not too long ago called "127 hours" which was based of this book. Like 99% of the time though, the book is much better.

Last edited:

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
69879351.JPG

Really good book, you guys will be amazed by how much data can be aggregated based on our browsing habits. I've been running Tor for about 3 years and some of the stuff in this book I already knew but there is ALOT I did not.

37588965.JPG

Work shit......LTE is capable of theoretical peak download rates of 326.4 Mbit/s for 4x4 antennae, and 172.8 Mbit/s for 2x2 antennae (utilizing 20 MHz of spectrum).

Boring shit to the average person.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It would seem the style of books I read are quite different than what the vast majority of people here read, but...

The past few weeks I've been working my way through The Black Company series of books, by Glen Cook. Easily one of the best series' I've ever read.

I have a pre-order in for The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss for when that gets out. I think it's March.

Just got Eugene Sledge's book With The Old Breed for Christmas

Last edited:

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
One of my favorites was On The Beach by Nevil Shute. Sister-in-law got me Jay-Z's Decoded for Christmas. Pretty good read.

Users who are viewing this thread