Suggestions for a home based VOIP phone service?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm tired of paying $40/month for a traditional line. Does anyone have suggestions for a good VOIP service provider?

Tunink

Established Member
I used Vontage for a while. Really liked the service, but since opening my own business and needing a service with extensions and what not I switched to a local VOIP company.

If Vontage had the business features I needed I would definitely still be with them.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
What features are you looking for ? I use vonage but there are much cheaper options available depending upon what you features you want/need.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have vonage. had it for over 5 years already with no real issues. i pay about $30+ a month for 1 line though. good thing is we can use it to make international calls for much less than a standard phone line, which i dont have at all any more. just vonage and cell phones.

with vonage, you can manage the features they offer online, which is pretty nice.

txyaloo

Established Member
An Obihai box + Google Voice is hard to beat. Free long distance, texting, voicemail transcription, separate VM greetings for different contact groups, the ability to easily forward calls to multiple phone numbers, etc.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
An Obihai box + Google Voice is hard to beat. Free long distance, texting, voicemail transcription, separate VM greetings for different contact groups, the ability to easily forward calls to multiple phone numbers, etc.

wow. thanks for the referral. im reading about it right now. might have to order one up. im thinking we could buy one also for relatives in germany and mexico and make free obi to obi international calls. :thumbsup:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Looks like it's basically just a one time fee for the devise and that's it. Correct?

txyaloo

Established Member
Looks like it's basically just a one time fee for the devise and that's it. Correct?

Correct. Now, Google may make you pay for local/long distance in the future, but they've yet to do that for several years now.

GV is a really great service. It integrates really well with Android, but not so well with iPhones.

JPD5801

Established Member
Verizon Wireless offers a "home phone" service for $20 per month. It isn't voip, but it is unlimited voice.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I see that Verizon's website states that their Home Phone Connect service isn't compatible with home security systems, fax machines or cable DVR systems. Is this the case with all VOIP services?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Correct. Now, Google may make you pay for local/long distance in the future, but they've yet to do that for several years now.

GV is a really great service. It integrates really well with Android, but not so well with iPhones.

Would you happen to know if it will work with a fax machine? Perhaps allow a second dedicated fax line?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sid, I went to their website forums and found this, which might at least partially answer your fax question. "Then, at the far-end telco CO, the digitized data is converted back into analog tones, and ends up at the monitoring center, with varying degrees of accuracy, depending on codec used, connection quality, etc. This is the same reason fax transmissions over VoIP are troublesome at times.

It sounds like the quality of the connection may be a factor. I'm waiting for a return call from Obihai support, because I am curious as well.

txyaloo

Established Member
Would you happen to know if it will work with a fax machine? Perhaps allow a second dedicated fax line?

I don't believe it will, but I don't know of any VOIP service that does. I used to use my cell phone as a fax modem before the digital conversion. While still on analog service, it worked fine. Once the switch to digital, it would never dial out.

I can try hooking my fax machine up to the box in a little bit and see if it works. I use a cloud service for fax now. I like being able to send/receive faxes from my smartphone or anywhere else.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Let me know what you find out. $40 per month is too much for the service I'm receiving IMO. I feel I'm overpaying for all my services from Time Warner.

GodStang

Established Member
Running vonage for many years and as far as security systems they had to put a wireless box for my security system. Only problem is if I am taxing my Internet and someone calls the call will breakup some till I stop. For me only run into the problem maybe once a year.

Users who are viewing this thread