• Goodyear GS-D3

Votes: 98 66.7%
  • Kumho ECSTA MX

Votes: 49 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MY DREAM

Established Member
Well Its time for some new rubber. I will be doing 1 auto cross event this summer and the rest of the time they will be used for daily driving. I have heard good things about both tires, I just dont know which one is the best for what I need. Thanks.

James

Bingo13

Established Member
I would go the Kumho MX route considering your event but would also highly suggest the new Falken RT615 over both the MX and GS-D3 as street/autox/hpde type tire.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
when I wear out my GS-D3's I plan on following Bingo's tire recommendations :beer:

I'm gonna need to save some tire money to spend on all the M/T ET Street Radials I'm apparently going to be using up :eek:

Bingo13

Established Member
MY DREAM said:
Hmmmm... Do tell about thes Falken RT615 tires.

James

http://www.falkentire.com/615micro.htm

Best way I can describe the tire is that it is a cross between a BFG KD and Nitto RII with wet weather capabilities. The tire has an almost supple ride for having a 200 treadwear (think Falken is fudging, more like 140), has excellent side wall stiffness, and is very sticky at least on my SVO (225/50/16). The best part is that unlike the RT215 it does not howl as much, does not get greasy after a 25 minute HPDE, and heats up fairly quickly. All of the positive attributes of the Nitto RII (not as sticky) with good wet weather performance.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Alright Tony! I like the mod list you have going. You've been busy since you left for the summer.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
Well we are at a tie right now. Both tires seem to be good. I had ordered the Kumho's from Discount tire and they said 3-4 days. The next day they called and said that they were on back order for 3 weeks. Well they ended up giving me the GS D3's for $170 each and threw in the road hazard warrenty for free. I came out with a good deal. I have had the tires on for 3 days now. They feel pretty good. I havent had a chance to really test them out (rain or hard driving) but they are quite and smooth. To every one, thanks for participating in the poll and all the advice.

James

Bingo13

Established Member
Well it is too late for more advice but the Falken FK-451 or Cooper Zeon 2XS are better tires than the GS-D3 and would have saved you some money to boot.
Run a little more air in the Goodyears to keep the sidewalls from flexing so much.
I have a set of Toyo T1Rs coming next week for yet another street tire comparison on my car. :D

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
Bingo13 said:
Well it is too late more advice but the Falken FK-451 or Cooper Zeon 2XS are better tires than the GS-D3 and would have saved you some money to boot.
Run a little more air in the Goodyears to keep the sidewalls from flexing so much.
I have a set of Toyo TR1s coming next week for yet another street tire comparison on my car. :D

It may be too late for me, but their are hundreds of people that could read this and learn from it. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Now I know for the next set of tires. Thanks for the advise with the tire pressure.

James

mustangmuscle

Established Member
Whats the best place for the best price on the Kumho Ecsta MX's?? Gotta get a set of new tires ASAP! Had a blow-out today....might as well replace them all.....

Thanks,
Chris

MY DREAM

Established Member
mustangmuscle said:
Whats the best place for the best price on the Kumho Ecsta MX's?? Gotta get a set of new tires ASAP! Had a blow-out today....might as well replace them all.....

Thanks,
Chris

I went with Discount Tire. They are $164.00ea for the Kumho Ecsta MX.

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Bingo13 said:
http://www.falkentire.com/615micro.htm

Best way I can describe the tire is that it is a cross between a BFG KD and Nitto RII with wet weather capabilities. The tire has an almost supple ride for having a 200 treadwear (think Falken is fudging, more like 140), has excellent side wall stiffness, and is very sticky at least on my SVO (225/50/16). The best part is that unlike the RT215 it does not howl as much, does not get greasy after a 25 minute HPDE, and heats up fairly quickly. All of the positive attributes of the Nitto RII (not as sticky) with good wet weather performance.

I am interested in the the BF KD and the Nitto 555R II for the front but I cannot make up my mind. My car never sees rain so I dont need wet weather performance, but I my car is a weekend car and i take it to shows and the track mainly. Out of the three tires described by you, which would you reccommend?

Thanks in advance,

THC

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
I have the BFG Kd's 275/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear. Best traction and handling of any street tire I've ever used on an IRS Cobra. Terrible in heavy rain, ok in light rain if you're careful. I've used GS-D3, BFG KDW, Michelin Pilot Sports, Yoko 032R, BS RE730's, BFG KDWS on my IRS Cobras.

Hey Bingo13 how are the Toyo R1's working?

MY DREAM

Established Member
3Pete said:
I have the BFG Kd's 275/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear. Best traction and handling of any street tire I've ever used on an IRS Cobra. Terrible in heavy rain, ok in light rain if you're careful. I've used GS-D3, BFG KDW, Michelin Pilot Sports, Yoko 032R, BS RE730's, BFG KDWS on my IRS Cobras.

Do you own any stock in tire companies? You should. :banana:

James

InArmyWPride

Venomous Productions
Established Member
3Pete said:

OK I GOT A QUESTION THE REASON I WANT TO USE PILOT SPORTS, IS CAUSE I CAN GET THEM IN 315/30/18 AND I CAN ONLY GET THE BFG KD IN 295 SO, DO U THINK I WILL GET BETTER GRIP OUT OF THE BFG EVEN THO ITS A LITTLE SMALLER. ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE BFG KDW NT?
-Cory

Users who are viewing this thread