Weaight the 03 Vert cobra today

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
Well i went to the scale to see how much the cobra is weights b/c the dyno shop IM going to get some baseline runs says i need to have it weighted ( I don't know why?? Anyone fill me in would be nice :shrug: ) well she tipped the scales at 4000lbs with a full tank of gas me in it, and i figured without me and a full tank of gas the car would weights 3701lbs with one gallon of gas me being 210lbs and the gas being 89lbs. I didn't know how fat these cars where :eek:

Last edited:

TEABG

Banned
Weight probably for the dyno to factor in the load. Is it a Mustang dyno? With those numbers in your signature I can see you are still running a stock exhaust application. Ditch that heavy stock Cat-Back and 100 pound X-Pipe for higher quality brands like MagnaFlow that use lighter materials. Ditch what is in the trunk? Here is a picture of my trunk. My car feels a lot faster when it the fuel tank starts to get around half empty.

Clicky to expand

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Teabg, to my knowledge there isn't much of a weight difference between the stock 2" stainless steel exhaust and, say, the Magnaflow 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, except for the midpipe due to the change in cats. Especially if it is the off-road version. Remember that the aftermarket systems are larger diameter (1/4" or 3/4" larger) which adds material. I've handled both (but not actually weighed them on a scale) and I'd say the catbacks are about the same weight but the midpipe is definitely a bit lighter due to the change in cats. If you've actually weighed them I'd be curious as to what the actual difference is. Maybe I'm wrong.

Matt, if you want to lose some weight, here are some good tips.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092403

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
TEABG said:
Weight probably for the dyno to factor in the load. Is it a Mustang dyno? With those numbers in your signature I can see you are still running a stock exhaust application. Ditch that heavy stock Cat-Back and 100 pound X-Pipe for higher quality brands like MagnaFlow that use lighter materials. Ditch what is in the trunk? Here is a picture of my trunk. My car feels a lot faster when it the fuel tank starts to get around half empty.

Clicky to expand

well i gig the full weight of the car so i would know what is max weight, and i did put a cat back on its a ford racing, as for the dyno its a mustang dyno that they never had a gas powerd car on it and im just gonna get some base lines done (with mail order tune) sense i did my 2.8 swap just to see what my gains are, here are the sheets of my car when is was stock on a mustang dyno

mattDYNO.jpg

mattDYNO2.jpg

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that's the way Mustang dynos should read.....considerably lower than a DynoJet

so don't worry if people start comparing your numbers to theirs

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
JB said:
that's the way Mustang dynos should read.....considerably lower than a DynoJet

so don't worry if people start comparing your numbers to theirs

ya im not to worried about who has what or what did what. i just wanna know why they need my car weighed?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
ya im not to worried about who has what or what did what. i just wanna know why they need my car weighed?

they need to input the weight on a Mustang dyno

it is part of the loading calculations and will affect the final numbers

TEABG

Banned
CobraBob said:
Teabg, to my knowledge there isn't much of a weight difference between the stock 2" stainless steel exhaust and, say, the Magnaflow 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, except for the midpipe due to the change in cats. Especially if it is the off-road version. Remember that the aftermarket systems are larger diameter (1/4" or 3/4" larger) which adds material. I've handled both (but not actually weighed them on a scale) and I'd say the catbacks are about the same weight but the midpipe is definitely a bit lighter due to the change in cats. If you've actually weighed them I'd be curious as to what the actual difference is. Maybe I'm wrong.

Matt, if you want to lose some weight, here are some good tips.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092403

Mr. Bob a Magnaflow X-Pipe is about 30 pounds lighter than the factory X-Pipe. I have held both of them and the Factory piece is a Submarine of mass. Stock Cat-Back also is a brick, MagnaFlow cat-back is much lighter. Maybe because they use a lighter gage steel?

TEABG

Banned
Magnaflow uses a 16-gauge, 430-series stainless steel for their Cat-Backs, Borla uses T-304 Stainless Steel which is very light. Not sure what Ford Motor Company uses. When you guys find out it will show it is a HEAVY gauge steel. The sound deadening material that Ford uses is HEAVY!!!! It is design to last like a million years LOL!

Example my new Brembo Caliper weighs a lot less than the PBR caliper. Big difference in weight between the two. This is due to the lightweight aluminum that the Brembo Caliper is made out of. Even though the Brembo caliper has a lot of mass on the PBR Cobra Caliper the the material is what matters. Just found that out yesterday. Get a set of two piece rotors, that will save you on rotational weight where it counts.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TEABG said:
Mr. Bob a Magnaflow X-Pipe is about 30 pounds lighter than the factory X-Pipe. I have held both of them and the Factory piece is a Submarine of mass. Stock Cat-Back also is a brick, MagnaFlow cat-back is much lighter. Maybe because they use a lighter gage steel?
I know the X-pipe is lighter in part due to the difference in the cats. I wouldn't have guessed it was 30 lbs. lighter though. I had a Magnaflow catted X-pipe and remember handling both it and the stocker when they were installed. They didn't feel that much different. I'm sure the difference is material type factors in, too. I was just curious.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Those were some pretty high numbers for a stock Cobra on a Mustang dyno...until I saw the weight. 400 lbs low. That's the problem with dyno operators. They try to manipulate the numbers so they look good to us. Just give them to us the right way for cryin' out loud! Now the guy has NOTHING to compare his changes to since the first session was bogus.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Those were some pretty high numbers for a stock Cobra on a Mustang dyno...until I saw the weight. 400 lbs low. That's the problem with dyno operators. They try to manipulate the numbers so they look good to us. Just give them to us the right way for cryin' out loud! Now the guy has NOTHING to compare his changes to since the first session was bogus.

I talked to jmschip and they said that the weight of the car doesn't have any thing to do with the HP and TQ # they need it to do a power to weight ratio and if your are doing 1/4 simulations

TrickStang37

Established Member
my vert (stock w/spare and everthing, almost full tank of gas) weighed in at 3940lbs with me in its, so its about 3780 with a full tank of gas without passanger.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
I talked to jmschip and they said that the weight of the car doesn't have any thing to do with the HP and TQ # they need it to do a power to weight ratio and if your are doing 1/4 simulations

I can't find verification on the Mustang Dyno website so I've sent MD an email requesting info on this

we have a vendor here who uses one....maybe they'll chime in

TEABG

Banned
CobraBob said:
I know the X-pipe is lighter in part due to the difference in the cats. I wouldn't have guessed it was 30 lbs. lighter though. I had a Magnaflow catted X-pipe and remember handling both it and the stocker when they were installed. They didn't feel that much different. I'm sure the difference is material type factors in, too. I was just curious.

NOW SILENT BOB, just watch Mall-Rats the movie. LOL!!

Factor in the (4) Catalytic Converters or (6) Catalytic Converters for the 2004 Cobra production years. Then factor in the two noise isolators that you see at the top of the factory H-Pipe and you will see the weight savings with a aftermarket X or H pipe. Ford Motor Company uses a HEAVY gauge steel. Ford Catalytic Converter a brick alone in weight.

Users who are viewing this thread