Awwwww Son of a *****

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
****Important Update/Post Number 40****

Well folks, I haven't driven the Cobra in a month so I decided to take it out today. I pull it out of the garage and once I do I feel my right rear end is wobbling. I of course think to my self, "that can't be good" and put the car back in garage to check and see what in the world is going on. Well I knew it wasn't a flat as I already checked the tires for air pressure. So I pull the right rear tire off and discover that 3 of my 5 wheel studs have been snapped in half. Apparently, the bolts on the 1" hubcentric H&R spacer I had on there came loose at some point and caused this wonderful occurence. . . .I assume.

I usually check every so often to see if that crap was coming loose and it never was. This really blows.

Is this something I can fix myself or do you have to be a hard core gear head to replace this?

I will get some pics up later. . . . .not that it really matters.

So for all you folks with spacers, be careful. . . . . . .I am so pissed at myself right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On top of all of this, my brand new Samsung 22" LCD is giving me problems. It is cutting in and out. What a sh***y weekend.

Last edited:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
That sucks, I wanted to get wheel spacer too, then I bought 10.5 inch rims, glad I bought those rims.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Changing OEM wheel studs is easy. If you need any let me know I have a bunch of them.

Hey man I appreciate it. Right now I'm not really sure what to do. I suppose since new studs are going in, they are going to be strongest studs that I can buy. I don't even know what is available. I will have to look into this.

This does look like a bit of a chore to do. I don't even have the tools to get the job done. No air gun, not even a compressor. I've changed out a water pump and alternator on my old 94 GT but I have never tackled something like this before. I have to say I am really apprehensive about this whole thing.

Anyone in the Greenville, SC area have an air gun/compressor that would like to have wheel stud installation party????????? :shrug:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully someone in your area can help you out. You didn't notice this the last time you had it out on the road?

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
If it was doing this the last time I drove it then I was completely oblivious to it. I can't imagine not feeling this though. It is hard to miss when driving.

whitetrash1

Established Member
its not hard. just knock the broken ones out and tighten the new ones until they pull themselves into place. An impact gun will make the job alot easier though

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
sorry to hear but be thankful it didn't happen on the road!
funny you should mention spacers, i decided to take mine off today (didn't like the stance) and the last nut got stripped. it was an MF"r to get off.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I had to replace 2 of mine on my 90 GT several years ago. Seems while I was at work someone came to the house trying to steal my rims. I came home to find my locking lugs laying on the ground on the drivers side front and rear wheel. They must have gotten scared off because they did not finish the job. Luckily our Ford dealer had some in stock and I went and got them and installed them that evening. Its not really that hard and yes an impact gun makes it a whole lot easier. My fun part was getting the broken bolts out of the lugs. I can't remember how I did it now but it took some doing. Good Luck.

Thrust

Established Member
just use a BFH to get them out. Use a big punch if you have to.

+1 BFH is the only way to go!!:rockon: Its not a hard job at all. It will almost take longer to jack the car up and remove the wheel.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If it was doing this the last time I drove it then I was completely oblivious to it. I can't imagine not feeling this though. It is hard to miss when driving.

I asked because how could it have happened while sitting in your garage? So how long after you took it out did you feel the swaying?

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
On that end I'm not really sure. However, IIRC I believe I was quite "spirited" with the low end torque on the way back to the house which it was very close to where I lived (meaning I got on it a little in first from a stop sign and that was it). But I didn't feel the rear end wobbling at that point. :shrug:

Also, I am indeed thankful the friggin wheel didn't fly off the car while I was driving it. So yea, it could have been much worse, thank God it wasn't.

Last edited:

jdblown03

Established Member
Snagged, sorry to hear this happened to you but it made me pull mine off tonight and 4 out of 5 on each side were hand tight.

Users who are viewing this thread