Idle seems to hang a little after mods...

///Bruce

///Bruce
Established Member
Hey guys;

I installed a JLT CF CAI and the 2.6 pulley yesterday. After a s/w update I notice that only coming off of load does the idle hang just a little around 1100 rpm and then drops to normal.

Any ideas? I don't remember noticing it after just the CAI install a few weeks ago. But it's possible.

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
Mine did that on the drive tune when I did the TVS swap, when I got a dyno tune issue was fixed. Did you get a mail tune with your CAI?

///Bruce

///Bruce
Established Member
Yeah. I got a preloaded sct tuner with the cai. So you're saying a dyne tune fixed the problem? Gotta find someone in Houston.

Eagle24

bad mamba jamba
Established Member
Yeah. I got a preloaded sct tuner with the cai. So you're saying a dyne tune fixed the problem? Gotta find someone in Houston.

Yah as long as your CAI is installed correctly which I'm sure it is, it's a tune issue. I'd suggest a dyno tune anyway, when I did a pulley swap I also had a preloaded mail tune. When i went to get my dyno tune, my car was making 512hp and like 490 tq. After the dyno tune my driveability was far superior much better throttle response and car was now seeing 530hp 519tq.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Yah as long as your CAI is installed correctly which I'm sure it is, it's a tune issue. I'd suggest a dyno tune anyway, when I did a pulley swap I also had a preloaded mail tune. When i went to get my dyno tune, my car was making 512hp and like 490 tq. After the dyno tune my driveability was far superior much better throttle response and car was now seeing 530hp 519tq.

+1 on the dyno tune

E.Marquez

Established Member
The hanging idle seems to be normal for a Jon Lund tune..... I asked the same question of Jon and Van when I first uploaded mine... It actually helps between fast gear shifts i think.. But that me be just self justification.

BlueEyedSnake

Banned
Mine does the same thing. 1100 RPM as I'm coming to a stop and right as its about to hit 0 mph it goes down to about 750-800 RPM's. I have a VMP tune and pulley.

///Bruce

///Bruce
Established Member
Seems this is a common issue regardless of whose tune. Does everyone have the same cai?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Seems this is a common issue regardless of whose tune.

Au contraire. Dev's tunes are OE quality because they are OE quality.

mmfp-120200-2013-Cobra-Jet-Mustang-Drag-Test-14-1.jpg

blackshelby

Au contraire. Dev's tunes are OE quality because they are OE quality.

mmfp-120200-2013-Cobra-Jet-Mustang-Drag-Test-14-1.jpg

+1 Exactly

If some of these tuners understood half of what Dev does, people would finally start to see that 99 percent of these tuners who think they are the best thing since slice bread really are clueless when it comes to these systems. Especially the way they come up with the flow and transfer curves for the CAI used.(That's where most of the issue are)
If these tuners did it the way Dev and ford/ford racing does they wouldn't have hanging idles , pinging at half throttle etc.
Maybe we all wouldn't hear the bad gas and bad parts BS anymore.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Op,

First of all, do this:
Reflash your car.
Once flashed, start car and let idle 1 minute (minimum).
Turn on AC and let it run another minute.
Turn AC off and idle 1 more minute.

Turn car off, remove key, open and shut door.

When the dome light goes off you have completed one drive cycle.

Go through it again if you want to speed the adaptive learning process up a little. It'll take a few drives /days to allow it to learn the variables, and in particular, your idle.

The car learns more quickly with between 1/2 and 3/4 fuel on board.

If, after a few days, this doesn't settle, you have a dashpot adjustment that needs to be done through the person that did your tune.

Stock calibration will actually hang slightly, then settle, on occasion.

Bj

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3, not an "i" anything.

Last edited:

///Bruce

///Bruce
Established Member
All well and good. But if what you're saying is true why was this not part of instruction set?

To the expert on Dev: you're running a completely diff setup. What makes you the supersalesman for Fix-all Dev?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
All well and good. But if what you're saying is true why was this not part of instruction set?

To the expert on Dev: you're running a completely diff setup. What makes you the supersalesman for Fix-all Dev?

Uh....Bruce....trying to help you pal. :beer:

You're welcome to call me or email me at [email protected] if you really want an explanation as to why there isn't some magical "instruction set".

bj

Van@RevanRacing

Op,

First of all, do this:
Reflash your car.
Once flashed, start car and let idle 1 minute (minimum).
Turn on AC and let it run another minute.
Turn AC off and idle 1 more minute.

Turn car off, remove key, open and shut door.

When someone light goes off you have completed one drive cycle.

Go through it again if you want to speed the adaptive learning process up a little. It'll take a few drives /days to allow it to learn the variables and in particular your idle.

The car learns more quickly with between 1/2 and 3/4 fuel on board.

If, after a few days, this doesn't settle, you have a dashpot adjustment that needs to be done through the person that did your tune.

Stock calibration will actually hang slightly, then settle, on occasion.

Bj

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3, not an "i" anything.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

To BJ for giving an excellent example of adaptive learning. Oh yes, I have seen procal tuned cars idle hang while they go through the adaptive process as well but what do we know. Dev is an great calibrator. He doesn't like the term tuner.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

To BJ for giving an excellent example of adaptive learning. Oh yes, I have seen procal tuned cars idle hang while they go through the adaptive process as well but what do we know. Dev is an great calibrator. He doesn't like the term tuner.

'Sup brother? :beer:
"Tuner" is that little handheld thingy with the cord on it, right? :rockon:

bj

Users who are viewing this thread