Biggest Spacer without Extended studs???

10thcoupe

Banned
whats the biggest spacer i can run safely with the stock studs? i was thinking of a 7/16" spacer just to set the wheels out a bit.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I wouldn't go any bigger than 3/8" along with some ET lug nuts.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have some spacers for my cobra which are about 1". They are machined out of aircraft billet aluminum. They are machined for wheel studs. You bolt these to your existing studs and use the wheel studs that are in the spacers to bolt your wheel to. I have used these for over 4 years with no problems.

Jroc

Established Member
I run 3/8 spacers with extended lugnuts. I get about 9 or so turns on each lugnut.

Still extended lugnuts are a good idea, and shouldn't be too hard to install.

Last edited:

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Broke one of my studs with a 3/8" spacer on there. I would recommend 3" studs with open-ended lug nuts to be on the safe side if you plan on running a spacer.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
i got a buddy that run 3/8 spacer on his 04 cobra!

I wouldn't go any bigger than 3/8" along with some ET lug nuts.

+1...I'm running 3/8" spacers on my car and I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything thicker.

Agreed.

Also in the past there were a lot of people that had trouble with the extended tips gaulding things up or getting stuck in the wheel. I put a little dab of grease inside the lug hole in the wheel. That way just the extended tip is lubed and there won't be any problems with gaulding while installing or taking off the wheels.

Jroc

Established Member
Agreed.

Also in the past there were a lot of people that had trouble with the extended tips gaulding things up or getting stuck in the wheel. I put a little dab of grease inside the lug hole in the wheel. That way just the extended tip is lubed and there won't be any problems with gaulding while installing or taking off the wheels.

Its kind of hard to get them to catch a thread without getting cross threaded.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^I meant the outer diameter of the extended studs gaulding up the lug hole in the wheels. I'm positive it used to be an issue and they would want to sieze up in the wheels. That's why I put a little grease inside the lug hole or just a very small amount on the extended tip part. Chrome plating > Aluminum and if it's dry it could easily gauld.

JWSnake

Established Member
I've ran a 3/8 on stock studs on my last 3 sets of wheels. I definitely would not go more than 3/8, which is easily already pushing it. I'm ordering extended studs soon because I don't feel completely safe on the stock ones.

64comet

Established Member
I put longer studs in for the 3/8" spacer. Put the wheels on with the stock studs and really didn't feel comfortable with the amount of turns before it was tight. I would much rather be safe than sorry later.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I run 1" Eibach Hubcentric spacers, they have studs mounted to them I believe. I've had them on for years, ran on the road course several times, the 8th mile strip and many high speed street runs with NO PROBLEMS. Put them on and FUGGETTABOUTIT!!

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
So those of you that went with longer studs, did you go with the Moroso or ARP studs?

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I had 3/8th on my wheels, and as everyone said I wouldn't have gone anything thicker without getting extended studs

RussZTT

Established Member
I run a 3/8 for the past 2 years with no problems with stock lug nuts. Plenty of thread to.

Users who are viewing this thread