Stage V Torque Plate Options

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Went to a buddy of mine's house yesterday to remove his Stage V ported blower so that we could inspect his torque plate. Took 65 minutes to remove the blower and the inspection revealed that the torque plate was compromised as there were several cracks that had developed.

This Stage V was completed in March, 2009 and the car had approximately 4,000 miles of use since the install. There was no front tack weld on the plate and while the plate appeared to have no immediate risk of failure through becoming unattached or pieces breaking off of it, it was the early run thin aluminum and was pretty flimsy.

My buddy and I discussed the options and came up with the following:

1) The Stage V was still under warranty and thus Steigemeier would replace the early addition plate with the upgraded version, with no charge. We figured downtime of at least a week.

2) Ship it to Steigemeier and just have them remove the plate permanently with same downtime parameters.

3) We just remove the plate altogether right there in his garage.

4) Leave it the way it is and reinstall it......

Obviously, the 4th option was probably not the best way to proceed. My buddy really didn't feel like having his Cobra down for any length of time so Options 1 and 2 were out. So we decided to just permanently remove it right there in his garage.

Using a pair of tin snips, we cut the plate down the middle. No problem, took 3 minutes.

Then, we took a pair of plyers and using an up and down motion, seperated each half of the plate off of the weld. Took another 3 minutes.....

Using a 4" cutting disc attached to a power drill we ground the welds off of the sides. (Sorry I don't have pics of this.....got busy and forgot!). We carefully blocked off the rotor and boost bypass areas so that no shavings could get inside the blower, and then used carb cleaner to thoroughly clean the affected underside areas of the Eaton. Probably took about 20 minutes for this.

Reinstalled the intercooler and threw the blower back in the car. Total time of operation taking our time and eating Dunkin Donuts and drinking Starbucks was about 4.5 hours start to finish. Probably be a good idea for those of you that are running Stage V's to pull it off of there and give it a good inspection.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Anybody pull off an updated Stage V with torque plate and see what it looks like? I have a Stage V with Torque plate done in December still in the box from Steige. Really considering sending it back to have the plate removed. Just don't wanna wonder everytime I get into boost if this will be the time that does it. Paranoia is a b!tch!!

Last edited by a moderator:

spincobra03

Established Member
Great info Dwight! I think anyone that has a stage V should just take it off and send it in regardless of the condition. To me its just a failed design and should be avoided at all costs. Nice job.

Satyr

Established Member
Good to see this worked out for you and your friend. Unfortunately, people with the updated plates will have to travel other paths for removal, considering the plate is (likely) too thick for metal sheers to handle.

Does your buddy have a before dyno so that an after dyno could reveal any gains/losses from the plate removal?

IronTerp

Anybody pull off an updated Stage V with torque plate and see what it looks like? I have a Stage V with Torque plate done in December still in the box from Steige. Really considering sending it back to have the plate removed. Just don't wanna wonder everytime I get into boost if this will be the time that does it. Paranoia is a b!tch!!
I have not seen the later updated revisions that should be on the December ports. But you're in a good situation in that the blower is still in the box and not on the car and you can just pull it out and inspect it very easilly. Regardless, you have a decsion to make: While there are those that say the plate should be removed permanently, others feel the February, 2010 revision, (see pic below) solves this problem and will not be compromised.

Good to see this worked out for you and your friend. Unfortunately, people with the updated plates will have to travel other paths for removal, considering the plate is (likely) too thick for metal sheers to handle.

Does your buddy have a before dyno so that an after dyno could reveal any gains/losses from the plate removal?
Good point. These later Stage V's should be under warranty and Steigeimier will cover all costs to repair/remove. Downtime would be the issue.

His Cobra put down 522 RWHP and 541 RWTQ (STD) on JLP's tune/dyno. We discussed the possibility of a pre/post scenario but decided there's just too many other factors in place that could skew the results.

Stage5weldpictures015.jpg

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
How do you think this will affect the tune? Might be a good idea to have the afr checked ..

I wouldn't want a bunch of crap hanging on for dear life in there anyway. I probably would have done the same thing as you guys

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Excellent info Dwight. Thanks for doing this for the boys. Your wanting to help them out is very commendable.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
NICE WORK!

This again should make people check their car. So far its still a 100% failure rate of these Stage 5's.

mrose75

Established Member
I think I'm just going to send it back and have the plate removed. I really don't want that in the back of my mind. The extra power/torque isn't worth my piece of mind. What was the deal on the return again? The plate is removed for free, I pay shipping?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is from the thread below and is a quote from Bob S. "We will pay for shipping both ways if you are still under our 1 year warranty and fix or remove at NO CHARGE to you. We will fix or remove plate at NO CHARGE, you pay shipping to us and we pay to ship it back to you, if it is out of warranty. So if you are out of our 1 year warranty we pay shipping back to you and still will replace or remove your plate FREE. If you are still under warranty we pay shipping both ways and fix or remove FREE."

Here is the thread link if you want to check it yourself. It's the third post from the top. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...eigemeier-stage-v-torque-plate-issues-11.html

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Dwight, I've got to say thanks again for your assistance in this matter. I can tell you I feel 100% better knowing this issue has been resolved. You are an expert when it comes to blower removals/installs. I suppose this makes mine a stage IV now? I will just have to shift a little faster now that I lost the alleged 10-15 ft lbs of torque by removing the torque plate. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I just don't see the need for a retune on such a small change.

IronTerp

Dwight, I've got to say thanks again for your assistance in this matter. I can tell you I feel 100% better knowing this issue has been resolved. You are an expert when it comes to blower removals/installs. I suppose this makes mine a stage IV now? I will just have to shift a little faster now that I lost the alleged 10-15 ft lbs of torque by removing the torque plate. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I just don't see the need for a retune on such a small change.
Had a great time Bill! Always fun wrenching on Terminators!

Besides the torque plate, the Stage V also had a 2% increase in rotor timing (?), and a little more material taken out of the roof area of the blower. I personally have never seen a Stage V outperform a III or IV, either on the dyno or drag strip. CobraStruck put up some outstanding numbers and times from his V+, but his numbers were from a dyno that has a reputation for inflation, and his car setup[ and driving skills were absolutely top notch. I really don't feel that you've lost any significant power from the plate removal.

deec73

Established Member
Had a great time Bill! Always fun wrenching on Terminators!

Besides the torque plate, the Stage V also had a 2% increase in rotor timing (?), and a little more material taken out of the roof area of the blower. I personally have never seen a Stage V outperform a III or IV, either on the dyno or drag strip. CobraStruck put up some outstanding numbers and times from his V+, but his numbers were from a dyno that has a reputation for inflation, and his car setup[ and driving skills were absolutely top notch. I really don't feel that you've lost any significant power from the plate removal.

I know you didnt just go there, :lol:

On a more serious note, great write up Dwight. Im sure you would recommend ANYONE who has a stage 5 take their blower off and check it and have that plate removed. I think we all can agree that was a good idea (maybe) just gone bad.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
... I personally have never seen a Stage V outperform a III or IV, either on the dyno or drag strip...
i'm gonna have to totally agree. i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this. the stage 4 is tried and true to make over 500rwhp and has no torque plate issues.

mrose75

Established Member
This is from the thread below and is a quote from Bob S. "We will pay for shipping both ways if you are still under our 1 year warranty and fix or remove at NO CHARGE to you. We will fix or remove plate at NO CHARGE, you pay shipping to us and we pay to ship it back to you, if it is out of warranty. So if you are out of our 1 year warranty we pay shipping back to you and still will replace or remove your plate FREE. If you are still under warranty we pay shipping both ways and fix or remove FREE."

Here is the thread link if you want to check it yourself. It's the third post from the top. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...eigemeier-stage-v-torque-plate-issues-11.html

Thanks CobraBob. I'll have to contact them and have that taken care of. Mine is still in the box it came back in.

Users who are viewing this thread