Anyone ever upgrade the IC pump

Jroc

Established Member
It seems like the common thing for Terminator owners to do when the IC pump fails is to replace it with a Ford Racing one thats really just a factory piece. Its the same one used on Lightnings. This is a weak spot on these vehicles as its not uncommon for them to fail or weaken. Like I said its common for Terminator owners to replace it with a OEM unit, but being a L owner now and studying up on them I've learned that its pretty common for L owners to replace bad OEM units with much more efficient ones from companies like Jabsco, and Meziere.

The Jabsco seems to be the best, and most desired unit, but is rarely in stock anywhere, and has to be pre-ordered. The stock unit flows I believe just a little over 4 GPM where the Meziere flows 20 GPM, and the Jabsco flows 30 GPM. I'm pretty sure these pumps don't use any more amps than the stock pump.

Apparently upgrading the IC pump to one that flows much better than the OEM pump is suppose to really lower the IAT2 temps especially when used with a upgraded/bigger IC reservoir.

Anyway this is just food for thought. Terminator owners are always looking for ways to lower temps, and this seems like a good way to do that, and I've never heard Terminator owners discuss this topic.

Look here. This is a good little read.
intercooler system improvements

Here a link to the Jabsco pump that L owners use.
Jabsco Low Pressure Cyclon Centrifugal Pump - 12v

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I was having some intermittent probs with stock pump. I went with the meziere a couple yrs ago when i decided to go with the bigger vortech ice box in battery location. No problems with it so far.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
^Did you notice much a drop in your IAT's with that setup?

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Honestly not really a noticable diff around town. I switched, because stocker was going bad and i wanted to put a larger tank in for the track anyway. If I don't run the chiller the temp will settle in about the same 130-138* just like before in 90-95* ambient.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I cant see how the stocker would only be 4 gpm, and the others would be 5 to 7.5 times more flow and still not pull any more amps.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Good info but here is one thing to think about. If your stock pump is 6gpm and you use an aftermarket pump that's 20gpm is it better? If you move the fluid to fast threw the cooling system it will not improve because improper heat transfer. I would like to see data logs on the 20+gpm pumps.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Well mine is a 7000mi a yr street car. If the stock "junk" pump is going out I say put a better replacement in there. As for more cooling with just a pump change. It's not gonna happen unless the stocker was pumping slow or intermittent before.

GodStang

Established Member
Good info but here is one thing to think about. If your stock pump is 6gpm and you use an aftermarket pump that's 20gpm is it better? If you move the fluid to fast threw the cooling system it will not improve because improper heat transfer. I would like to see data logs on the 20+gpm pumps.

What he said. If the water does not spend enough time in the radiator to cool all you will do is heat it up more. So you can have negative effects by going to a higher flowing intercooler pump.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Stock one is perfectly fine. There's even people mounting Resevoirs in the trunk and still using the stocker.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
How do you know when the stock unit has failed or is not working? will a check engine light come on or anything?

Jroc

Established Member
How do you know when the stock unit has failed or is not working? will a check engine light come on or anything?

You are suppose to be able to see fluid flowing in your IC resevoir if the pump is working.(Once the vehicles up to temp. The pump is off when the vehicle is cold, and comes on once the engine temps rise, and then it stays on. You can actually wire it so that the pump stays on when the cars off so say your at the track between runs the car will sit cut off, but still be pumping IC coolant to help cool it down) I'm sure a great many people on this board have a bad IC pump that have no clue that the are bad. The stock pump going bad is that common. You should be running some high IAT2 if you have a bad IC pump. You should also be down on HP, as the car will start to retard the timing if it starts to get hot. I believe my IC pump is bad in my truck, as I don't see coolant flowing in the reservoir, and my truck runs noticeably stronger when its still flair cool as opposed to when its up to temp.

Some people have had luck cleaning the factory pump, but the factory pump uses brushes to more the coolant and they can(and commonly do) go bad. Someone actually came up with a way to replace worn factory brushes in the pump.

Cleaning the pump:
How to Clean your IC PUMP - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

Replacing the brushes
[ame=http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37089]HOW-TO Intercooler pump $6.00 fix. - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com[/ame]

I agree that the factory pump probably flows enough coolant, but its known to fail, and in probably most cases people don't even know its gone bad.

Jroc

Established Member
So when it goes bad there is no indication? i.e. fault code.

Its not going to give you a "Service Engine Soon" light or anything. Many people discover it on the dyno during a tune as they'll be producing low #'s for their mods, and it will be because the computer is pulling timing when the motor starts to get too hot.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I went with the johnson pump. I dont have any before an after temps. I do have an Aeroforce gauge, when its 95-100 here my IAT2s are around 120-128 cruising.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I popped my hood yesterday when I got home from driving around and my IC reservoir fluid was not moving at all. I even took the cap off and looked inside to make sure. Fluid just sitting there nice and still. So I guess my IC pump has died too at some point. Time to start looking for a replacement. Is the factory Ford unit from Towsley as good as any?

Users who are viewing this thread