Über Frustrated at the Cobra right now!!

mrose75

Established Member
I know it's a simple problem, I guess I get extra pissed extra quick at stuff that should be extra easy. Broke a wheel stud on Sunday tightening up my lug nuts. Went to AutoZone (first mistake) and got another wheel stud. Today AT 5 PM I decide I'm going to replace it(second mistake). Jack it up in front of the drive since it's flat, pull of the wheel, knock out the old stud and pop in the new one. Forget to buy washers to use to draw the stud into the rotor (third mistake). Send the wife for washers and a spare wheel stud since I had a bad feeling about it already. Finally get the washers, throw them on, start slowly tightening the lug nut then backing it off to check my progress. After two or three attempts I back it off and the entire stud starts spinning. Lovely!!! Stripped stud, on my jacked up car, in front of the driveway, with the sun down. Just like that old beer commercial, BRILLIANT!!! So here I sit waiting on the wife to come back with a hacksaw. I tried to pull the whole rotor off(which I should've done in the first place, probably actually my first mistake) but the damned e-brake is in the way and I can't get the damn caliper off. Why should you care, you shouldn't! But I needed to vent!!!:fm::fm:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Buy OEM Ford ones...I went through a handful of autoparts studs before going back OEM and haven't had an issue since.

mrose75

Established Member
Let's look on the positive side for a second here.

There was an incredible amount of extremely valuable LEARNING that just took place within a VERY SMALL period of time.:-D

You can say that again!! I will think through my "simple" jobs a little more thoroughly in the future. Another positive, my wonderful wife got me a hacksaw and a new angle grinder which took all of 2 minutes to cut through the stud. New tools are always a plus!!

Buy OEM Ford ones...I went through a handful of autoparts studs before going back OEM and haven't had an issue since.

May need to go to a bigger stud if it's stripped.

I'm considering taking it to the stealership and just letting them deal with it. I checked and it was the cheap ass autoZone stud that stripped out on me. But I'm not sure if I damaged/distorted the stud hole when I beat on it a few times with the hammer! So maybe time for "rear rotor" upgrade?? But I'm definately going OEM from now on.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Don't take it to the dealer just yet, they may just throw up their hands and say that you need a new hub.
Which is entirely possible.

Get a correct OE stud and see if it still has sufficient interference to draw in and hold wobble free.

If not the fix is either a new hub, or an aftermarket larger spline stud in the stripped hub.

Another possibility is a tiny tack weld on the back side to anchor the stud to the hub.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Thanks Jimmy!! I'll try an OEM stud next weekend. No time during the week.

sc98cbra

Established Member
Don't feel bad.

I once stripped a stud, with the wheel on the car, with the lug nut still on the stud. I had to pop out the center cap, take off the entire wheel bearing, and cut the stud from behind the wheel with a grinder. Ohh, and I couldn't take the brake caliper off, so I had limited room.

I got my ass whooped by a 2 lb. chunk of metal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For those who don't know, Jimmy (JimmySidecarr) is our "resident Ford mechanic". LOL! But seriously, his years of work at Ford as a mechanic has been SO helpful to a lot of people here. He is a walking service manual. Well, sort of. Thanks Jimmy for all the help you provide the good people here. It's folks like you that make this forum the great one that it is. :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
For those who don't know, Jimmy (JimmySidecarr) is our "resident Ford mechanic". LOL! But seriously, his years of work at Ford as a mechanic has been SO helpful to a lot of people here. He is a walking service manual. Well, sort of. Thanks Jimmy for all the help you provide the good people here. It's folks like you that make this forum the great one that it is. :beer:

Thanks Bob!!
But I must correct you, I have been a Ford PARTS GUY since the fall of 1970.
I have never turned a wrench for money in my life! It is strictly a labor of love!

I have done some other things in between too but mostly parts.

However, I am a hands on, rather fix it myself kind of parts guy. I ask questions when I need to, and I listen to the guys in the shop if they say ... no you are going to need "this"... I get "this" and try and do it right.

As a result I get to learn a lot more about the cars I love, and I understand why we do certain things to them to make them better.

The WHY has, and always will be, a VERY important thing for me and my love of high performance cars.

Thanks Bob YOU ROCK, and that web site has been so helpful to so many of us, that it just can not be over praised!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Thats usually how things go every damn time I work on my car! I have a broken lug up on my front passenger wheel right now...guess I need to do some research before I go and replace it lol, and yea that rear E-brake is a BITCH to get off and on...spent more than a couple hours cussing it when I switched from IRS to SRA!

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
These are a few of my broken things:
1/2 shaft
Input shaft
4 Clutches
4 alternators
1 motor
Pumkin
Radiator
2 front bumpers
Hood fender
2 headlights
3rd brake lights
2 fog lights
Coilcover
And some other small stuff

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
So far working on my Cobra the only problem I've had was a POS locking lug nut was on super tight and ended up cracking the end off :bash: Thankfully my local tire shop got it off. Of course the wheels getting taken off were already sold and paid for so if the torch had to be broken out I would of been ****ed.

My 91 on the other hand has been a complete bitch once I started modifying it. Wanted to burn it to the ground on so many occasions :burn:

I still love my cars though, labor of love and even when they fight you they wont talk back to you like a woman :beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks man. A few months back I decided to overtighten one of my idler pullies and had the bolt break off! I was furious, took the whole bracket off and had a guy at work reverse drill it out. You'll get it fixed, working on cars can be very frustrating.

mrose75

Established Member
Well, today I call the dealer for a new lug. None in stock but he can get it for me for $8 plus the $6 UPS that the dealer that has it would charge him.... That's one lug!! Wow! I don't know what's more frustrating, the car or the ride From the dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread