03 cobra overheating and loud squeal!

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys, my car has been having a issue, it tends to overheat sometimes. It goes up too 220/230 then once I start to drive it goes down to 200. But doesn't do it all the time, sometimes stays at 200. Today after 5 min away from my house it started climbing to 230 extremely quick and started making a very loud squeak/squeal. After letting it cool down got home and checked if the belt was still there. Belt was there and tight so had to come to work, wasn't able to check anything else. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess would be the fan isn't working. And the squeal you heard was the motor giving up the ghost.

mark23svt

Established Member
You know what maybe your right cuz it's a very loud squeak. And something was stuck around the outside of the fan but I couldn't really tell if it's stuck or not working.

mark23svt

Established Member
I got another question guys, kind of topic. I bought a 2.2 kb that I want to eventually run with E85 but for now do you guys think my 60lb injectors be enough?

mark23svt

Established Member
Lol that's true but if it's the fan or something small it will be done shortly. The KB is a bigger project I want to do before school starts again. And I didn't want to start another post just for that. But yeah guess I'll re post after I fix this issue.

bigmoose

Established Member
I got another question guys, kind of topic. I bought a 2.2 kb that I want to eventually run with E85 but for now do you guys think my 60lb injectors be enough?
Depends how much boost you want to run. I have my 2.2KB setup for 18# on e85 and I had to step up from 60 to 80.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys bumping this thread again, I checked the car to see if the fan turned on and it did. I took a quick video let me try to upload it.

mark23svt

Established Member
I sprayed a little wd40 on the pulleys and only the idler pulley would make the noise change a bit for like a second

mark23svt

Established Member
It's not letting me post the video. If anyone can pm me and I'll send them a video through my phone

mark23svt

Established Member
I know it's weird and a lot to ask but don't want to start buying a bunch of parts that I don't need.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Check pulleys spinning by hand with belt off and then change belt with correct size.

mark23svt

Established Member
Ok I'll try that next, a friend of mine said it could be the water pump gave out since it got hot then started making that noise. The car has metco pulleys if that matters.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
See if you can replicate the noise at idle in your driveway and try to pinpoint where its coming from. Then, pull the belts and check for binding on anything with a pulley, esp the water pump pulley as your friend suggests. In my experience- idler bearing noise is most noisy when cold, not hot, and is persistently audible across heat ranges.

R15393

Established Member
Nobody is saying a squeaky idler pulley would cause it to over heat are we? Not to mention water pump is ran by inner belt, which I find hard to see the majority of it with outer belt in place. If fan is working properly, then I'd look to see if water pump is leaking from weep hole. After that, I'd burp the system the way these silly cars require. And idk if I'd spray wd40 on pulleys, just gonna make belt slip. I always use just water in an old spray bottle to narrow down noises.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Noise from coolant on belt if it was spraying out cap..

200 is too hot..

I went tru running hot issue for yrs..

After all was said and done..

Radiator was issue..

Here in far south Texas. .ac is aways on

..new rad I run 180..200 if I just sit in sun..

Was 210 to 240 before with no ac on

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If it is the fan dying, get a 1997-98 Lincoln mk8 fan and have it rewound at an electric motor shop. 3500-5000cfm Low/high.

I think it's probably not the fan, it's probably a pulley. Pinpoint and replace. Then see what the temps are like. If it's still hot, the heat exchanger pump may have let go. Chances are good that a few components have failed or are failing in unison.

These are basically 15 year old cars now. When one thing let's go, it exacerbates the thermal or physical load onto another weak (worn) link in the various systems. Domino effect comtinues until you lose something major like a valve guide or seat and melt a head/need a rebuild.

Get everything happy and healthy, then look into putting e85 and a pd blower. If you do it the other way, you'll be buying an engine soon.

mark23svt

Established Member
Ok thanks guys yeah haven't moved the car at all but I will work on it as soon as work allows. Going to start with the pulleys, check water pump then radiator and ic pump. And no rush to make it stronger rather have all the issues worked out first.

Users who are viewing this thread