13 GT500 Seems weak

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't pay much attention to the factory boost gauge. It's not accurate at all. Maybe for fun go take it to the dyno and just see what it puts down. I think you would be really happy with a tune from Lund or VMP. It changes so much about the car.

03SonicStang

Established Member
Don't pay much attention to the factory boost gauge. It's not accurate at all. Maybe for fun go take it to the dyno and just see what it puts down. I think you would be really happy with a tune from Lund or VMP. It changes so much about the car.

Going to get the car Dyno'ed ASAP.....I need to know what the heck is going on. My modified 03 Cobra never felt that way!!!!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Going to get the car Dyno'ed ASAP.....I need to know what the heck is going on. My modified 03 Cobra never felt that way!!!!

I believe the 13/14s are more sensitive to heat and knock than the 03/04 cobras were, But see what it puts down

Snoopy49

Established Member
Could it be in Valet mode?
Here is what you see between the gauges in the valet mode.

MyKeySpeedLimit_zps7870b616.gif

Snoopy49

Established Member
Somethings that will contribute to "Limp mode".

Clutch Protection
Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic powertrain feature to reduce clutch damage. When excessive clutch slip is detected at a high power level, the powertrain control module will limit torque to reduce damage to the clutch. Full power is restored as soon as the clutch is fully engaged. This feature is calibrated in a way that does not interfere with normal driving and does not impede maximum acceleration capability.

Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM)
The FMEM is an alternate system strategy in the PCM designed to maintain engine operation if one or more sensor inputs fail.
When a sensor input is determined to be out-of-limits by the PCM, an alternative strategy is initiated. The PCM substitutes a fixed value for the incorrect input and continues to monitor the suspect sensor input. If the suspect sensor begins to operate within limits, the PCM returns to the normal engine operational strategy.

Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy
Note: Not all vehicles with a cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor have the fail-safe cooling strategy.

The fail-safe cooling strategy is only activated by the PCM when an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the CHT sensor. For additional information about the CHT sensor, refer to Engine Control Components in this section.

A cooling system failure, such as low coolant or coolant loss, could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, the fail-safe cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. This strategy allows the vehicle to be driven safely for a short time with some loss of performance when an overheat condition exists.

Engine temperature is controlled by alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors, allowing all cylinders to cool. When the fuel injectors are disabled, the respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool the cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

A wide open throttle (WOT) delay is incorporated if the cylinder head temperature is exceeded during WOT operation. At WOT, the injectors function for a limited amount of time allowing the customer to complete a passing maneuver.

Before injectors are disabled, the fail-safe cooling strategy alerts the customer to a cooling system problem by moving the IPC temperature gauge to the H (hot) zone and setting DTC P1285. Depending on the vehicle, other indicators such as an audible chime or warning lamp, can be used to alert the customer of fail-safe cooling. If overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, DTC P1299 is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates. If the overheating condition continues and a critical temperature is reached, all fuel injectors are turned OFF and the engine is disabled.

03SonicStang

Established Member
Somethings that will contribute to "Limp mode".

Thank you for your post.

The clutch mode could be, but states it does effect acceleration. I assume a lot of these modes would throw a code as well.

I kept an eye on the guages and nothing over heated, and the intake temp never got over 120.

Talked to a buddy of mine that works for Roush and he found it very odd. He has an engineering meeting with Ford tomorrow and said he'll pick thier brain.

Hope to get on a dyno in the next couple of weeks. It's really strange, never had a car do this.

On a good note, I fixed the fish tank leak

Bluebell59

Established Member
Have you checked to see if the intercooler pump is working? It is a known problem on these cars. As a matter of fact mine is going in for warranty Monday. Low boost and low power. Feels like a Gt.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You will have to data log to know for sure, the stock tune will pull timing right away with moderate iat2 temps. The heat will really effect these cars in stock form, on a side know never go wot with low fuel like that. You could really be down on power and need a new motor fast. I always run with at least a half tank so both fuel pumps get enough fuel. It's not like the 03/04s where you could run a quarter tank.

Beercules

Established Member
Any chance it could be a vacuum leak between the bypass valve and the source? If the valve isn't closing enough you wouldn't have much boost or power.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The vacuum holds the bypass valve open, so if there was a vacuum leak in the control hose, the valve would close causing an increase in boost.

Beercules

Established Member
Ok, didn't pay much attention to original bypass/ vacuum before cams.
I had a small leak after cams/vacuum mods with no light, just didn't go into boost correctly.

Id still hook a mechanical gauge up just for a quick cheap check.

Oh, also could be egr valve stuck??? Or disconnected, or vac lines bumped off somehow? Egr valve leak was my vacuum leak. Made things run wierd.

Missyandrob2005

Established Member
Have you checked to see if the intercooler pump is working? It is a known problem on these cars. As a matter of fact mine is going in for warranty Monday. Low boost and low power. Feels like a Gt.
Probably this. Mine is suffering from the exact thing you mentioned and you can't measure it on the stock gages. From my understanding the computer starts pulling timing once IAT2 temps reach 125 degrees which happens almost minutes after startup if your IC pump isn't running, which mine isn't. I noticed mine felt week once out of first gear. I was doing some spirited driving next to a friend of mine who has a modded 5.0 and I couldn't put more than a car on him. I knew something was wrong. Been chasing the problem ever since...

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good morning Guys....long time member, haven't posted in a while.....

So I have a 13 GT500 stock, with an oil-less filter and JLT Oil separator. Car has 9600 Miles on the clock. Just put new Tires on, went with Pirelli _ Zero Summer only 285 in the rear 275 in the front. I stepped on the car a bunch of times this morning and it just felt weak. Like the car was not pulling at the higher RPM's as it did before.

Mind you its 85 out, humid as hell and one other thing, I had only 20 ETA miles on the tank, so the light was on.

Could I just becoming desensitized to the power, or was the EPU doing something based on the low fuel?

BTW, the new tires stick like glue, or its just down in power....

Was thinking the only way to find out is to get her on a dyno soon, but I'm I walk into Alternative Auto in Michigan.....I will be walking out with a new tune for sure!!!

Thanks for your thoughts and reading....
Tom

Def take it to Lidio and he'll not only figure it out but also get you nice power with a tune. My '14 is in his shop right now awaiting a forged engine, cams, etc.
Good luck.
-J

03SonicStang

Established Member
Probably this. Mine is suffering from the exact thing you mentioned and you can't measure it on the stock gages. From my understanding the computer starts pulling timing once IAT2 temps reach 125 degrees which happens almost minutes after startup if your IC pump isn't running, which mine isn't. I noticed mine felt week once out of first gear. I was doing some spirited driving next to a friend of mine who has a modded 5.0 and I couldn't put more than a car on him. I knew something was wrong. Been chasing the problem ever since...

Interesting. I drove the car yesterday and it feels weak as hell after about 3-4 pulls. Told my wife I'm selling the damn car, she of course rolled her eyes. Maybe its this....

03SonicStang

Established Member
Def take it to Lidio and he'll not only figure it out but also get you nice power with a tune. My '14 is in his shop right now awaiting a forged engine, cams, etc.
Good luck.
-J

This. I'm going to make an appointment after the holiday and get the car in. My 03 Cobra ran so much better after he had his hands on it! completely different car!

Users who are viewing this thread