2018 Twin Disk Clutch

justinsstang

Established Member
Is it going to end the era of overpriced aftermarket twin disk clutches for the mustang if it comes out at a decent price?

Alejandro Flores posted a video of driving with it and was saying it feels great.
If you look at the pricing of the 2017 factory clutch ($250) on tasca parts, it may end up being a hell of a deal to just buy the new OEM one if they give a similar deal (I'm sure it'll be at least a couple hundred more).

It's definitely a possibility, just something to keep an eye out for to see the price when they're finally posted up for sale. I'd refrain from buying a clutch upgrade til we know :p

Stang Lover

Established Member
Too early too tell. We don't even know how much power it can handle or if it can handle shifts above 7.4K. If it can indeed handle some abuse it would be a decent upgrade.

justinsstang

Established Member
The redline of the 2018 is 7500. Alejandro was shifting it at that I believe and was talking how it shifted like butter. He has the video on his YouTube channel.

Silbult14

Established Member
I have a couple of questions or concerns. Do we know for sure that the '18 Mustang is using the MT82 transmission and not the Tremec used in the GT 350? I ask because in the video mentioned he states that the transmission in the "18 has both a different 1 st. gear ratio [ 3.09 vs 3.66 in the V8 MT 82 ] and that 4 th. is direct drive ie. 1:1 vs 5 th. in the MT82. It sounds like the '18 might use a Tremec. If it is a Tremec or if the MT 82 has been upgraded is the input shaft diameter and spline count the same as a '11-'17 MT 82? If it is great, if not then it simply won't fit. My other concern is that the '18 is said to use a dual mass flywheel which means either that the clutch may not be compatible with the standard flywheel used in earlier cars or we may have to change to the dual mass flywheel in order to use the twin disc '18 clutch.

M91196

Established Member
I have a couple of questions or concerns. Do we know for sure that the '18 Mustang is using the MT82 transmission and not the Tremec used in the GT 350? I ask because in the video mentioned he states that the transmission in the "18 has both a different 1 st. gear ratio [ 3.09 vs 3.66 in the V8 MT 82 ] and that 4 th. is direct drive ie. 1:1 vs 5 th. in the MT82. It sounds like the '18 might use a Tremec. If it is a Tremec or if the MT 82 has been upgraded is the input shaft diameter and spline count the same as a '11-'17 MT 82? If it is great, if not then it simply won't fit. My other concern is that the '18 is said to use a dual mass flywheel which means either that the clutch may not be compatible with the standard flywheel used in earlier cars or we may have to change to the dual mass flywheel in order to use the twin disc '18 clutch.

It’s an MT82.

For 2018, the Ford Mustang GT’s MT82 gets brand-new gear ratios to make full use of the more-potent, 460-horsepower Coyote V8. It’s dubbed the “MT82-D4” for its direct-drive fourth gear (the version in the outgoing Mustang GT had a direct-drive fifth), and its duality of overdrive gears ought to help bring down engine speed during highway cruising. (Despite this, the EPA’s fuel economy ratings for the Ford Mustang GT manual have not budged relative to 2017.)
Responding to customer criticism about shifts sometimes being hard to execute, Ford has also taken the liberty of changing out the MT82-D4’s synchromesh rings, revising the cone angles and tooth geometry to help slide into gears a bit easier. The clutch on the newest Ford Mustang GT has been overhauled, as well, making use of a new twin-disk setup to increase the torque limit while decreasing the amount of effort required to depress the pedal. EcoBoost models don’t get that clutch setup, but they have received a new diaphragm spring and cover, which again raises torque capacity while improving pedal feel.
Mating with the twin-disk clutch in GT models is a new dual-mass flywheel, which should work to dampen violent changes in torque and rotational speed.

Read more: http://fordauthority.com/2017/11/th...n-is-new-and-improved-for-2018/#ixzz52y3y8IbH

Silbult14

Established Member
Thanks for the the link and the additional info. Now we need to find out if the input shaft diameter and spline count is the same as on the '11-'17 Mt 82's and if the new twin disc clutch will fit on the single mass flywheels or if we need to change flywheels too.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It’s an MT82.

For 2018, the Ford Mustang GT’s MT82 gets brand-new gear ratios to make full use of the more-potent, 460-horsepower Coyote V8. It’s dubbed the “MT82-D4” for its direct-drive fourth gear (the version in the outgoing Mustang GT had a direct-drive fifth), and its duality of overdrive gears ought to help bring down engine speed during highway cruising. (Despite this, the EPA’s fuel economy ratings for the Ford Mustang GT manual have not budged relative to 2017.)
Responding to customer criticism about shifts sometimes being hard to execute, Ford has also taken the liberty of changing out the MT82-D4’s synchromesh rings, revising the cone angles and tooth geometry to help slide into gears a bit easier. The clutch on the newest Ford Mustang GT has been overhauled, as well, making use of a new twin-disk setup to increase the torque limit while decreasing the amount of effort required to depress the pedal. EcoBoost models don’t get that clutch setup, but they have received a new diaphragm spring and cover, which again raises torque capacity while improving pedal feel.
Mating with the twin-disk clutch in GT models is a new dual-mass flywheel, which should work to dampen violent changes in torque and rotational speed.

Read more: http://fordauthority.com/2017/11/th...n-is-new-and-improved-for-2018/#ixzz52y3y8IbH
Thanks for the info

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Found out the 2018 clutch is $415 and the 2018 flywheel is $22.

Just need to verify fitment at this point lol. Hell of deal if it will work.

I have been checking some of the ford parts dealers online, they have not updated their online parts catalogs for 2018 yet. Where did you find pricing info? Called a dealer parts department direct?

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I have been checking some of the ford parts dealers online, they have not updated their online parts catalogs for 2018 yet. Where did you find pricing info? Called a dealer parts department direct?
I am having trouble believing $22 for a flywheel, that has to be Ford's cost or a typo.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Will be a great upgrade for 11-17 guys once they start hitting shelves.

FWIW, Ford has been producing twin disc clutches from the factory for over a decade (gt500).

They are good, very good.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Will be a great upgrade for 11-17 guys once they start hitting shelves.

FWIW, Ford has been producing twin disc clutches from the factory for over a decade (gt500).

They are good, very good.

Yep, just wish we had the same 6060 or at least input shaft the 500 had. I’d thrown one of those twin disk setups in with the quickness.

Rct851

Established Member
could we assume the stock 2018 setup would be quieter then a rst, rxt or a spec?

I want the best performing, most reliable stuff but I don’t want added chatter or weird noises either

justinsstang

Established Member
Thanks

I am having trouble believing $22 for a flywheel, that has to be Ford's cost or a typo.

I asked Steve from tascaparts directly on Facebook and he looked it up for me

Users who are viewing this thread