700+whp Build Questions

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Hey guys, I am on the quest for 700+whp and have some questions about my setup, and if I might be able to obtain my goal. Below is a list of everything I am going to use to try and make this goal happen.

Built engine with stock heads/cams that have been degreed.
2.9 Whipple (non crusher)
3.25 pulley
4lb lower
SBTB
Return style fuel system (10an feed 8an return)
Triple Walbro 255's with On3 triple hat
80lb injectors
E85
SCT BA3000
JLT Ram Air intake
26 spline input shaft
McLeod twin disk clutch

What do we think? Will I need a boost-a-pump with the fuel system? Is the 3.25 upper with a 4lb lower a safe combo and enough to get me to 700+ at the wheels? Will the 80lb injectors be enough with e85?

What are some setups you all are running?

Thanks for the help guys.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Our set ups are pretty close and I plan to be over 700.

I'll be starting off with a 3.2/4lb pulley combo to see where it puts me.

My set up
Stock motor, stock heads w/ custom cams (ARP2000 studs)
2.9 whipple, 3.2/4lb
SBTB
JLT RAM AIR
long tubes 3inch all the way back
dual 465s fore hat -10 feed -6 return
ID1000s stock rails
E85
Stock MAF with MAFIA
26spline RXT.

Once I get mine together I'll respond to this again and let you know how it did.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Personally I would start with a smaller upper pulley to bring boost up. Unless you already have the lower done, or have a caged 4lb. And would jump to the id1000s. They are just a better injector from what I have read. But with that said I do think the 80's will get you there if your looking to save some $$$.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Our set ups are pretty close and I plan to be over 700.

I'll be starting off with a 3.2/4lb pulley combo to see where it puts me.

My set up
Stock motor, stock heads w/ custom cams (ARP2000 studs)
2.9 whipple, 3.2/4lb
SBTB
JLT RAM AIR
long tubes 3inch all the way back
dual 465s fore hat -10 feed -6 return
ID1000s stock rails
E85
Stock MAF with MAFIA
26spline RXT.

Once I get mine together I'll respond to this again and let you know how it did.

Please do! Our setups are pretty similar. Can't wait to hear the results.

Personally I would start with a smaller upper pulley to bring boost up. Unless you already have the lower done, or have a caged 4lb. And would jump to the id1000s. They are just a better injector from what I have read. But with that said I do think the 80's will get you there if your looking to save some $$$.

I already have the lower done, but how much smaller are you thinking? 2.75 or 2.85 maybe?

If the 80's will still support the power I think I'll still go with them. Those ID1000's are fantastic but sure cost a pretty penny.

cj428mach

Established Member
80s probably won't cut it. You might talk to Malcolmv8 about your setup as he had a 2.9 on his car and can tell you what you ll need.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Built engine with stock heads/cams that have been degreed.
2.9 Whipple (non crusher)
3.25 pulley
4lb lower
SBTB
Return style fuel system (10an feed 8an return)
Triple Walbro 255's with On3 triple hat
80lb injectors
E85
SCT BA3000
JLT Ram Air intake
26 spline input shaft
McLeod twin disk clutch

What do we think? Will I need a boost-a-pump with the fuel system? Is the 3.25 upper with a 4lb lower a safe combo and enough to get me to 700+ at the wheels? Will the 80lb injectors be enough with e85?

First off that pulley combo is crazy aggressive. Granted my 2.9 was a crusher setup but I went over 700 whp with a stock lower and a 3.0 upper.

80s won't even be close. ID1000s will hold you at 700 on E85 but if you run a 3.25 with a 4 lb lower plan on ID1300s. You will max the ID1000s, ask me how I know :)

What exhaust do you have? Is it free flowing? I'd personally build something bigger than the JLT intake. You're running a big 2.9 with a very aggressive pulley combo and asking it to suck air through a snorkel.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
listen to Malcolm, those 80s arent gonna make it on E85. I wish they had the 1300s when I built my car or Id have those and not 1000s...then again I didnt know I was gonna make 700+ at my current boost level (im a D1 guy, my setup isnt comparable). Building for the much power you may as well put a big enough fuel system in to future proof it, I thought I did so...turned out not so much. Pump and injector upgrades at this level arent cheap.

seems like youd be leaving a lot of power on the table with stock cams

you may want to look at the controllers like Fore has that runs one of the pumps for cruising and brings the other 2 online with boost (maybe it runs 2 then brings the 3rd online, not sure on the details).

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
First off that pulley combo is crazy aggressive. Granted my 2.9 was a crusher setup but I went over 700 whp with a stock lower and a 3.0 upper.

80s won't even be close. ID1000s will hold you at 700 on E85 but if you run a 3.25 with a 4 lb lower plan on ID1300s. You will max the ID1000s, ask me how I know :)

What exhaust do you have? Is it free flowing? I'd personally build something bigger than the JLT intake. You're running a big 2.9 with a very aggressive pulley combo and asking it to suck air through a snorkel.

My exhaust setup is 1 3/4" kooks long tubes with 3" collectors and a 3" into 2.5" kooks off road x.

So what intake do you recommend? JLT High boost? If I keep the aggressive pulley setup, how much more than 700whp could I potentially see? Sounds like I am going to need to drop the cash for the ID1300's.

Thanks for the insight and sorry for the newb questions.

Zemedici

Established Member
fwiw Injector Dynamics are no longer manufacturing their ID1000cc injectors, they've been replaced by the 1050xs, and unless something goes wrong with your motor no need to build it - they're stout.

If it aint broke dont fix it. ;)

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
fwiw Injector Dynamics are no longer manufacturing their ID1000cc injectors, they've been replaced by the 1050xs, and unless something goes wrong with your motor no need to build it - they're stout.

If it aint broke dont fix it. ;)

It's already built, because it was broke before I ever even got to drive it. Lmao it's a long story.

Zemedici

Established Member
It's already built, because it was broke before I ever even got to drive it. Lmao it's a long story.

ohhhhhhhhh hahaha fixing to say - we did a 700whp 2.9l whipple / cams / corn build out of my shop, stock bottom end. No issues, car runs strong too. Sounds WICKED with the cams

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My exhaust setup is 1 3/4" kooks long tubes with 3" collectors and a 3" into 2.5" kooks off road x.

So what intake do you recommend? JLT High boost? If I keep the aggressive pulley setup, how much more than 700whp could I potentially see? Sounds like I am going to need to drop the cash for the ID1300's.

Thanks for the insight and sorry for the newb questions.

That's a decent exhaust. The problem with the JLT intakes is they're only 4" ID. I usually build 6" ID intakes from various parts but its not cheap so most just go with JLT. However you look like you're pushing for some bigger HP, it'd be worth it in your case.

I ran the 3.0 / stock lower with a stockish motor and made low 700s wheel on E85. When I went to a 3.0 / 4lb setup it was on a built motor with 10.5 CR, ported heads, cams etc. so that made over 1k but on a stock motor mid 800s + seems plausible, maybe more. Lots of variables, A/F ratio, timing, other combo of parts, different dynos etc. It's a good ball park though.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
That's a decent exhaust. The problem with the JLT intakes is they're only 4" ID. I usually build 6" ID intakes from various parts but its not cheap so most just go with JLT. However you look like you're pushing for some bigger HP, it'd be worth it in your case.

I ran the 3.0 / stock lower with a stockish motor and made low 700s wheel on E85. When I went to a 3.0 / 4lb setup it was on a built motor with 10.5 CR, ported heads, cams etc. so that made over 1k but on a stock motor mid 800s + seems plausible, maybe more. Lots of variables, A/F ratio, timing, other combo of parts, different dynos etc. It's a good ball park though.

That's exciting news actually. The more the merrier lol. Baseline goal is 700 at the wheels. Any less and I won't be happy. Anything higher than that will be great. I'd be stoked to break into the 800's. Thanks again for the insight and help!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
A return fuel system doesn't require a bap.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
A return fuel system doesn't require a bap.

A BAP is not returnless specific. It can be used anytime you wish to over drive pumps for more fuel. Return or returnless. In both cases it's a band-aid IMO. I always recommend properly sizing your pumps and avoiding headaches.

willis414

Established Member
I make 782 hp and 717 tq, the only differences from what your listing are...
*Id1000's.... they are close to being maxed, but still a little room.
*Fore fuel rails
*twin walbro 465's
*full 3" exhaust, no cats
*egr delete
*100% stock unopened motor.
*24.5 psi
My tuner was able to get 802 hp on a very, very aggressive but clean tune....but we decided to make it a little safer. I've been on that final tune for three years now.
Air intake heat will will be your next battle....so be prepared.

have fun...good luck!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
A BAP is not returnless specific. It can be used anytime you wish to over drive pumps for more fuel. Return or returnless. In both cases it's a band-aid IMO. I always recommend properly sizing your pumps and avoiding headaches.

Yes I just figured its not necessary with a return fuel system. If a person is going that far to do a return system, why add a bap?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I make 782 hp and 717 tq, the only differences from what your listing are...
*Id1000's.... they are close to being maxed, but still a little room.
*Fore fuel rails
*twin walbro 465's
*full 3" exhaust, no cats
*egr delete
*100% stock unopened motor.
*24.5 psi
My tuner was able to get 802 hp on a very, very aggressive but clean tune....but we decided to make it a little safer. I've been on that final tune for three years now.
Air intake heat will will be your next battle....so be prepared.

have fun...good luck!
Jesus. Those are huge numbers for stock cams. I have a kinda similar set up and am barely touching 700

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yes I just figured its not necessary with a return fuel system. If a person is going that far to do a return system, why add a bap?

I agree and by the same token when upgrading their returnless system why not just put big enough pumps in there too? To each their own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread