anyone done the D1 to D1X upgrade?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Just curious as to what the real world results are, kicking around the idea of upgrading.

My mach1 with a built motor made 640 on 93 and 715 on E85 @ 15 psi with the D1 (previous HP numbers were on a 10.1:1 motor, no numbers from the new 9.5:1 combo). The tune was still on the conservative side, 14 degrees on 93 and 18.5 on E85.

If the D1X picked up 50hp at the same boost level with better charge temps that'd be a win. Then should pay off even more if when I eventually up the boost

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Also interested in this. My buddy has a Mach with a d1, wonder if it’s worth it or to just sell off and buy an F1 head unit

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Also interested in this. My buddy has a Mach with a d1, wonder if it’s worth it or to just sell off and buy an F1 head unit

I did some quick google searching and couldnt find a whole lot. One graph over on a Corvette forum showed gains up top but power under the curve was down a fair amount. Then there were posts on another forum about not recommending them because of this that was later recanted with no explanation. I would not trade power under the curve for power up top

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
There is not much info on this subject besides the cars that Procharger has on their page. I maxed out the d1sc on my GT at 860whp. I've asked Procharger multiple times about the upgraded d1x because I was only looking for a little bit more HP. They said for me to go to the F series and the X wasn't worth the upgrade.

The cars posted on their site all have substaintal gains when the swap was done...

Zemedici

Established Member
Typical gains are ~30whp from what I’ve seen. P1 to D1X definitely, D1SC to D1X i wouldn’t

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve still got quite a bit of room to go on my D1, running a 3.5” blower pulley and stock crank. My rough estimate is I should be able to run a 10% OD crank pulley and go from 15 to 20ish psi. Not sure what my charge temps would end up looking like

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Iirc a 10% OD crank adds about 2psi, 15% is 4psi, 18% is 6psi..

Hmmm, is that with a stock blower pulley though? I would think it would matter but maybe I’m wrong. The D1 comes with a 4” and I’m at 3.5”. It’s been a while since I looked at it but I think I’d be adding 12k blower rpm or so. Seems like boost is climbing pretty sharply as is

I feel like the F1 would be a the next step to a slippery slope lol. Does power under the curve suffer with the F series? That would be my biggest concern

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It doesn't matter what blower pulley is on there, it'll be the same regardless because it's the crank is overdriven you know what I mean? I highly doubt you're going to suffer from power under the curve. Maybe a little but not much. The F1 blowers are stout and have the same step up ratio as the D1 I believe. I'm sure someone has done a side by side.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It doesn't matter what blower pulley is on there, it'll be the same regardless because it's the crank is overdriven you know what I mean? I highly doubt you're going to suffer from power under the curve. Maybe a little but not much. The F1 blowers are stout and have the same step up ratio as the D1 I believe. I'm sure someone has done a side by side.

I also need to revisit what these aluminator/terminator rods are good to with arp 2000 rod bolts. Might be better I just leave shit alone lol

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
D1 step up is 4.4, d1sc is 4.1, and f-series is 5.4

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
We've ran std H-beams with ARP2k bolts well into the 1100rwhp range on a turbo car lol. They'll be fine.

So if you keep the D1 and add the crank pulley it'll go up like I said that amount of PSI..

Helomech74

Established Member
The D1X is a more efficient version of the D1SC with a newer designed volute and impeller. I'm not 100% sure if the gearbox was different or not. I ran a D1X for a very short time before switching to an F series blower on my street car. The D1X made about 5psi more at peak RPM (On my setup) compared to the D1SC and was a little soft on the bottom end compared to the D1SC as well. The IAT's were lower with the D1X at the higher rpm comparatively as well and I'm sure that was due to the more efficient design.

If I were to do it over, I would have skipped the D1X and went straight to the F series blowers. Your specific engine setup and design will dictate which blower to run and if you'll suffer at all with power under the peak. I've run the F1D, F1A, F1R, F2M and now an F1A-94. Of all those blowers, I would say that the F1D made the best power under the curve for street use (basically a D1SC with a 5.4 step ratio). The F1A was a good trade between peak power and power under the curve. The F1A-94 so far is the baddest one I've owned. It's a bit soft down low, but 4K and up the power builds real quick. The F1A-94 is one of the most efficient F series blowers out currently (without stepping to an F1X for example.) They also have an F1A-91 as well, not sure if that would shift the power curve at all, it would be worth a call to Procharger to find out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The D1X is a more efficient version of the D1SC with a newer designed volute and impeller. I'm not 100% sure if the gearbox was different or not. I ran a D1X for a very short time before switching to an F series blower on my street car. The D1X made about 5psi more at peak RPM (On my setup) compared to the D1SC and was a little soft on the bottom end compared to the D1SC as well. The IAT's were lower with the D1X at the higher rpm comparatively as well and I'm sure that was due to the more efficient design.

If I were to do it over, I would have skipped the D1X and went straight to the F series blowers. Your specific engine setup and design will dictate which blower to run and if you'll suffer at all with power under the peak. I've run the F1D, F1A, F1R, F2M and now an F1A-94. Of all those blowers, I would say that the F1D made the best power under the curve for street use (basically a D1SC with a 5.4 step ratio). The F1A was a good trade between peak power and power under the curve. The F1A-94 so far is the baddest one I've owned. It's a bit soft down low, but 4K and up the power builds real quick. The F1A-94 is one of the most efficient F series blowers out currently (without stepping to an F1X for example.) They also have an F1A-91 as well, not sure if that would shift the power curve at all, it would be worth a call to Procharger to find out.

Any chance you have graphs comparing the 2 D1 blowers?

And damn, had no idea there were so many f series blowers

Helomech74

Established Member
Don't have any graphs as I had no reason to print or scan them. The power increase on the top end was about 110whp over the D1SC on my combo, but there were losses in torque up to around 4100rpm or so. It wasn't really noticeable from the driver's seat, but it was obvious on the graph. Some of that could probably be negated with some different cams or intake changes, each persons combo will vary.

As for the F series blowers, there are several. Some work very well on smaller displacement motors and others are huge bastards that really need some serious cubic inches and power to turn them.

Best bet would be to call Procharger technical support and discuss your goals with them. They will steer you in the right direction.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Best bet would be to call Procharger technical support and discuss your goals with them. They will steer you in the right direction.

I always feel hesitant to call them after they had trouble getting their own blower pulley info straight lol. I need to get the car on the dyno with the current motor/combo and dial it in the last little bit. Then I'll figure out what, if anything, I'm gonna do a little bit down the road. It's just too freaking hot right now, I'll wait for some cooler weather in September or so. In the meantime I've got some other items to tweak

Users who are viewing this thread