Buying a 15+ F-150, need help choosing engine

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I feel like I already know the answer to this but would like opinions from owners and guys who work on these things for a living.

I'm looking at replacing a Tacoma which has been flawless for the last 10 years i've owned it with an F-150 to gain a bit more room and power. I use the truck everyday and drive 100miles per day so miles will pile up quickly on it so reliability is my top concern. I only occasionally tow a small boat so I don't feel like I need the 3.5.

I'm leaning towards a 5.0 just for the fact that it's a simpler engine design and in theory should be more reliable. However, 2.7s are much cheaper and alot more plentiful on the used market.

Should i save some money and go for a 2.7 or wait for the right 5.0?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
my 2012 supercrew has 143k on it averaging 19mpg all time. Only problems ive had are 2 small coolant leaks both of which were cheap/easy fixes.

go with the 5.0, my truck has 3.55 gears, wish i had 3.73 but good luck finding them. Most of them are equipped with 3.31

Zemedici

Established Member
either or will work. I'm in the market for a new truck, and engine makes no difference for me.

And I run a Ford shop.

Obviously we all tend to lean toward a 5.0 truck with a blower, but a tuned ecoboost truck is pretty stout.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 2.7TT Lariat Scab loaner for 1.5k miles.
Put it in Sport mode and the truck was very "fun" to drive redlight to redlight.
Got 21-22mpg at 80mph.
Definitely was good enough for DDing. Never towed with it.

You going to touch the truck power wise or keep it stock for as long as you own it?

JMO if you want to rock the truck for 200k miles or so, go with the 5.0.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
If you aren’t going to tow much get the 2.7EB. I have a 15 SCrew FX4 3.5EB and get 21-22 on trips at 70-75mph. It is comfortable and extremely quiet. I thought I’d regret not having a V8 for the sound but I love the quietness of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Zemed will know this
But I'd say go ecoboost 3.5, long as it has dual injector setup. put a livernois tune on it and cai. no exhuast cause v6.
if it has to be ford half ton...

AAG

Established Member
Go with a 15-17 5.0 with at least 3.55 gears. You won't have to worry about DI carbon build up issues like you will with 15-17 2.7 and 15-16 3.5 ecoboost engines.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Go with a 15-17 5.0 with at least 3.55 gears. You won't have to worry about DI carbon build up issues like you will with 15-17 2.7 and 15-16 3.5 ecoboost engines.

Im currently tossing idea of meth injection to help mitigate this.(AEM kit is $550)
If it works ecoboost would really benefit from it

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I should of noted that I do intend on leaving it stock. If i go 5.0, it would get exhaust though.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
5.0L. Because IF you ever get the itch, you're a VMP TVS kit away from 800hp. Which, Im told, is a great power level to have if you like towing. :D

Port > D.I. for ease of maintenance. Port WITH direct injection is the only way Ill even own a direction injection motor.

Also, your exhaust wont sound like shit.

AAG

Established Member
Also, your exhaust wont sound like shit.

This is the biggest deal breaker with an ecoboost. They all sound like crap with an exhaust. I've yet to hear one that even sounds half way decent, and that's comparing it to other v6 exhaust notes, not the coyote.

nickf2005

Established Member
If you're putting 100 miles a day on it and rarely towing, then I'd stay with 3.31 or 3.55 rear.

You could start WWIII by pitting the Ecoboost guys against the 5.0 guys. I'd say make options a priority and put engine choice lower on the list.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Eco boost is a great engine. But the Coyote is super reliable, and has a ton of mods available down the road.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
When I first got my 3.5 TT, if would freak me out at stop signs it was so damn quiet with no vibration compared to my old GMC 5.3.

The 3.5 goes nice when you step on the loud pedal.

nxhappy

Established Member
If you're putting 100 miles a day on it and rarely towing, then I'd stay with 3.31 or 3.55 rear.

You could start WWIII by pitting the Ecoboost guys against the 5.0 guys. I'd say make options a priority and put engine choice lower on the list.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app
ww3 LOL you ain't wrong

Users who are viewing this thread