Buying a 15+ F-150, need help choosing engine

nickf2005

Established Member
ww3 LOL you ain't wrong
Seriously man, I belong to an F150 forum and it can get nasty. It seems as though most of the 5.0 guys run in and defensively explain why they got it and belittle the 3.5/2.7 with supposedly terrible quality and lack of reliability. The Eco guys merely state the one or two main points and say you mostly can't go wrong.

Me? I don't tow often, but when I do, I wanted a tow package and brake controller. I wanted the 302A package. Screw 4x4. I wanted to buy a local truck. Boom. A few weeks later, one popped up and it happened to be a 3.5 with 3.55 E locker.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Ecobooms are bad to the bone stock. Put a blower on the 5.0 and hold on to your shorts

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Zemed will know this
But I'd say go ecoboost 3.5, long as it has dual injector setup. put a livernois tune on it and cai. no exhuast cause v6.
if it has to be ford half ton...

Corsa Resonator Delete with factory exhaust is what I did and it is perfect!

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Would he be better served with the higher gears for thay 100 mile road trip daily?

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app

No sir. Trucks need the maximum gear possible so they can work as much as possibe. If he is worried about the 1 mpg that he gears will eat then he should be looking at a prius

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
No sir. Trucks need the maximum gear possible so they can work as much as possibe. If he is worried about the 1 mpg that he gears will eat then he should be looking at a prius
So the fact he is looking at a good deal and longevity, lower gears does not make any sense. As well as his concern about his drive. He can look for a truck and try and save without needing to get a prius, a silly premise.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
So the fact he is looking at a good deal and longevity, lower gears does not make any sense. As well as his concern about his drive. He can look for a truck and try and save without needing to get a prius, a silly premise.

I was joking about the prius. I always look and get mine with the lowest possible gearing. For the OP you are right he needs something like a 3.55.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
of course a supercharged 5.0 is bad ass. Any v8 with a blower is fun. But you are talking about thousands of dollars. A $500 tune on the 3.5 gets you a good amount of power. For me it was a no brainer.

Roush has packs with gains of over 100hp for the ecos.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Op, I have a 2013 ecoboost and it’s stock. It’s a nice truck and has enough get up to pass people if need be. My personal view is how likely are you to really drive an f150 like it’s a Shelby anyway so why try and make it faster than it needs to be. Either engine will be good to go. I would focus more on what trim level and creature comforts you want, especially with the amount of time you apparently spend driving. Just my $.02

Edit: and as far as towing, I’ve towed my 93 Cobra on a car trailer from Riverside California to Houston and barley noticed it was back there, except when a wheel fell off the trailer in the middle of the desert. But that’s a story for another day

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
it's a truck, not a 800hp race car LOL . that being said, my EB hauls ass with a E30 tune. only 2 downfalls on the EB....plugs every 15k to keep it clean, and a catch can for the intake system.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Appreciate all of the opinions. It seems everyone is choosing one over the other based off mod potential. This is my daily driver and a truck so I have zero desire to mod any of them. Is there any real world difference in mpg between 5.0/2.7/3.5?

nickf2005

Established Member
Appreciate all of the opinions. It seems everyone is choosing one over the other based off mod potential. This is my daily driver and a truck so I have zero desire to mod any of them. Is there any real world difference in mpg between 5.0/2.7/3.5?
Probably Not enough to make that much of a difference. Find the truck you want sans engine and shoot for the 3.55 E locker rear.

If you're looking into an XLT, try to find it with the 302a package. Bigger radio screen, remote start, back window. Nice comfort items for spending an hour plus a day in it.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
real world 3.5 numbers: 16 city only 22 hwy ..not sure on the 5.0 but probably similar

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
With the miles your gonna put on it and if you plan to keep it for 150-200k i say go for the 5.0 with 3.55 or 3.73 depending what year you get. Also stick with the 2015-2018 models for the 5.0. It will be more reliable in the long run.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

Supposedly the 2.7 beats the rest.

_Snake_

Established Member
With the miles your gonna put on it and if you plan to keep it for 150-200k i say go for the 5.0 with 3.55 or 3.73 depending what year you get. Also stick with the 2015-2018 models for the 5.0. It will be more reliable in the long run.

OP - here’s your answer.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I have both a 15 super crew 4x4 with the 2.7tt and a 16 super crew 4x4 with the 3.5tt. I use the 15 for work have almost 80k miles not 1 issue, 22mpg. It also has the tow packag, I’ve towed a car on a flatbed with zero issue plenty of power. The only compliant I have on the 2.7 is that stupid auto stop which shuts you down if your stopped at a light. You can hit a button to disable each time u get in, pain in the ass! The 3.5 doesn’t have this but I’ve read 18 and beyond all will that this stupid feature.

Users who are viewing this thread