Buying a 15+ F-150, need help choosing engine

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Mine was a 14. I bought it used and found out later it had been in some kind of accident that wasn't disclosed on anything. I mean it did have a little bit of get up and go, just wasn't as fast as I thought it should be.
Being used and in an accident you really dont know what could of been done.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I drove many different configurations this weekend and determined that all of the engines are great for my needs and I really should shop for the truck with the options I want vs buying purely on engine.

Interesting was that I drove a 2.7, 3.5, 5.0 all used with around 20k miles and all three of them showed average of 17mpg for the entire 20k miles

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks everyone. I drove many different configurations this weekend and determined that all of the engines are great for my needs and I really should shop for the truck with the options I want vs buying purely on engine.

Interesting was that I drove a 2.7, 3.5, 5.0 all used with around 20k miles and all three of them showed average of 17mpg for the entire 20k miles

Don’t go off of what the computer tells you on average.

I can tell you that my 3.5EB is very sensitive to gas. I have done numerous tests with 87, 91, and 93 on mine and there is a measurable difference in mpg with 93 really doing the best.

You will quickly learn what the EBs like in regards to driver’s inputs.

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I like my 5.0 15 screw...gets 19+ daily in the mild mountains of PA...and it tows my bassboat easily...i do wish I had 3.73s vice my 3.55s but she does just fine

nickf2005

Established Member
Don’t go off of what the computer tells you on average.

I can tell you that my 3.5EB is very sensitive to gas. I have done numerous tests with 87, 91, and 93 on mine and there is a measurable difference in mpg with 93 really doing the best.

You will quickly learn what the EBs like in regards to driver’s inputs.

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I've not experimented with different fuels as I've only had my truck for month, but I've been able to tell that my mileage is easily affected by how I drive. On my mix of 80 Hyw/20 City driving for work, I can drive like Grandpa and squeeze 22ish MPG. Drive normally and it'll drop down to 19 or so. This is all according to the truck computer BTW.

I'm not really that worried about the differences though as I moved into my 3.5EB from an 07 5.4 Triton. I was scared to calculate the MPG on that truck. I figured I've probably about doubled my MPG on a 45 Mile daily commute.

OP - Glad you are able to let yourself worry about what options you were getting with a truck and not the particular engine. I really wanted to give the 2.7EB a shot, but the couple times a year I MAY need more payload/towing capacity kept me from letting that being a finalist. It's still extremely capable from what I've read. I've even read that it spools up quicker than the 3.5 and can feel quicker.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've got no dog in this fight, but I'm curious. Why are people recommending an Ecoboost because it's faster? Do people really buy trucks to hit the 1/4 mile, or something?

I mean, if you want to recommend it because it tows better, or something, that makes sense. But faster? We're talking about trucks, here. I dunno....maybe I'm missing something.

nickf2005

Established Member
I've got no dog in this fight, but I'm curious. Why are people recommending an Ecoboost because it's faster? Do people really buy trucks to hit the 1/4 mile, or something?

I mean, if you want to recommend it because it tows better, or something, that makes sense. But faster? We're talking about trucks, here. I dunno....maybe I'm missing something.

Personally, if towing isn't Priority #1 or 2 for a person, I wouldn't recommend on engine over another. I'd defer to what I did to the OP of this thread and say look for a truck that has the options you want and take the engine it happens to have. That's how I ended up with my truck. Wanted tow package (available on 2.7, 3.5 and 5.0) and XLT 302A package.

However, the highest towing/payload capacity trucks Ford puts out there are optioned with the 3.5EB, so if you need that capability, then the Ecoboost will be yours.

nxhappy

Established Member

Towing.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I'm in the market to get a new truck. I'm tired of having the truck out on the driveway when I have the garage space. The F-250 is just a little too long. I tow a dozen or so times a year. Interesting to read the comments in here. Pretty much confirms my consideration for a 15+ 3.5 EB.

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm in the market to get a new truck. I'm tired of having the truck out on the driveway when I have the garage space. The F-250 is just a little too long. I tow a dozen or so times a year. Interesting to read the comments in here. Pretty much confirms my consideration for a 15+ 3.5 EB.
That with 3.73 or 3.55 rear. The former if you want the highest capacity. However, you'll need to look for Max Tow and/or Heavy Duty Payload Package.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
I'm buying a Ford F-150 in the next 3/4 months and I' made up my mind on what I'll be getting myself based on the following:

1. Towing Capacity
2. Peak Torque @ low RPM / Torque Number
3. Low Dollar Mod. to Power Increase Ratio

3.5l EcoBoost is the answer. (10 speed in the 17' is a huge plus)

*PS. What's the difference in the 4x4 functionality in the "4x4" and "fx4" model in the 2015+ F150's? Is one an open diff or something??*

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm buying a Ford F-150 in the next 3/4 months and I' made up my mind on what I'll be getting myself based on the following:

1. Towing Capacity

*PS. What's the difference in the 4x4 functionality in the "4x4" and "fx4" model in the 2015+ F150's? Is one an open diff or something??*

The FX4 package is no different within the drivetrain. It's just another option package. Usually includes paint-matching bumpers (versus chrome), Skid plates, and front-middle console. Here's a snapshot from the interwebs:

"FX4 Off-Road Package1 (4x4) includes electroniclocking rear axle, 4x4 FX4 Off-Road box decals, Hill Descent Control,™ off-road-tuned front shock absorbers, and skid plates on fuel tank, transfer case and front differential"

My XLT is NOT FX4, but had the option of the 3.55 E-locking rear. If towing is very important to you and something you'll do often, I'd suggest getting the Max tow package.

"Max. Trailer Tow Package1 (required for towing up to 12,200 lbs.) includes 3.55 electronic-locking rear axle (3.73 with Heavy-Duty Payload Package), 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, Class IV trailer hitch receiver, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, trailer hookup lamp, Smart Trailer Tow Connector, integrated trailer brake controller, upgraded front stabilizer bar, and upgraded rear bumper"

nxhappy

Established Member

1. Towing Capacity

I agree

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

Yeah down here we race trucks. I regularly see slammed and built trucks that race.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Just an update for everyone. I ended up buying a 2015 XLT with the following options.
FX4
3.55's
Sport package
20" sport wheels
1.5" leveling kit

It's a bit more truck than I wanted but the price is right and I couldnt pass it up. So far the 2.7 seems to get by without issues. First tank of gas which is 75% highway returned 20.5mpg, second tank which was about 50% highway returned 19.1mpg both of which is hand calculated. The mpg on the dash is WAY off. I honestly expected better but i'm sure the 20" wheels and leveling kit is a factor in that.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Just an update for everyone. I ended up buying a 2015 XLT with the following options.
FX4
3.55's
Sport package
20" sport wheels
1.5" leveling kit

It's a bit more truck than I wanted but the price is right and I couldnt pass it up. So far the 2.7 seems to get by without issues. First tank of gas which is 75% highway returned 20.5mpg, second tank which was about 50% highway returned 19.1mpg both of which is hand calculated. The mpg on the dash is WAY off. I honestly expected better but i'm sure the 20" wheels and leveling kit is a factor in that.

Post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Hopefully this works. It's dirty in this picture.
f150.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread