Bye SoCal! Moving to the free state of Arizona!

MFE

Established Member
Don't lane-split here. Forget about the cops; NOBODY will be looking for you first before they jab a lane change.

Blown 89

Established Member
Don't lane-split here. Forget about the cops; NOBODY will be looking for you first before they jab a lane change.
Or come to a complete stop in the middle of said lane change for no apparent reason

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Well how about that, another local Lexus tech, I'm guessing you're working at Earnhardt lexus? I'm a tech a Superstition Springs Lexus in the east Valley. The AZ car scene is great, there's a awesome car show in Scottsdale every Saturday night. There isn't a lot SVT/Shelby guys in AZ so it's always nice to see another svt guy.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I'm out in Surprise, and its a nice area. The worst part is that its far away from everything and when you tell people thats where you live they act like its a day long drive to get there lol.... Takes me 45 min to get to work off 7th st and bethany home rd from Surprise, with no traffic (weekends and off peak hours) its like 30 min.....

Like some others mentioned, Scottsdale and Paradise valley, cave creek areas are nice but not cheap. Gilbert, Chandler is nice, but Mesa and AJ are gross.... Most of Glendale is ghetto, most of central Phoenix is ghetto and the Tempe area..... South Phoenix is ghetto.

Northern most part of Glendale is nice, and the northern part of Peoria is nice (lots of big lot housing), and while most of the Sun City area is ok, its mostly retirement type area. Surprise, Waddell and Litchfield Park are nice but very far West.

Most of the Goodyear/Avondale/Tolleson area is also not the nicest.

Sorry for the scatter brain of areas.... I do mobile X-ray so I have literally been to every part of this Phoenix Metro area and seen nearly all of it.

Blown 89

Established Member
You guys have a different calendar there with 14 months?
We do have one of the worst education systems in the nation here. Last year 8th graders had an 84% failure rate in state testing for mathematics. Arizona was sold common core as the great savior and it's been a complete and utter disaster.

socalozzy

Established Member
Congrats. I left SD last year after 6 years to return to Denver. I De-Kalifornia-ized my cars and guns on day 1 in Denver.

CA is "paradise" if you enjoy mind numbing traffic, astronomical cost of living, paying an extra 10% in state income tax, and having neutered guns and cars.
There's a reason there's traffic this place is amazing!!! Cost of living and taxes even out with higher wages, but If you like he'll-heat, shooting automatic guns and polluting cars!
I take it as one car less on the road for us lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
There's a reason there's traffic this place is amazing!!! Cost of living and taxes even out with higher wages, but If you like he'll-heat, shooting automatic guns and polluting cars!
I take it as one car less on the road for us lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LOL, indeed.

I had a relatively significant wage increase when I moved to SD and has LESS discretionary income after taxes and increased COL.

According to Bankrate the COL in SD is 33% higher than Denver plus income taxes in CA are double (at a $50k income) or triple (at a $500k income)

A $50k salary in Denver you'd need $68k in SD. The COL adjustment in salaries actually paid is not even close to 38%.

I haven't sat in more than 2 minutes of traffic since I moved. We have a functional and wide ranging mass transit system here. I take a 15 minute train ride door to door.

Anyway, OP, enjoy Phoenix! You'll be amazed at how free you'll feel once you move. Oh and CA will cancel your plates within a month of you changing to am AZ insurance policy

MFE

Established Member
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.54.13 PM.png

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ha, i got a 3 dollar an hour increase right off the bat at my new job in AZ. I would have been happy if they had offered me a dollar less to be honest, just for the opportinity to leave CA.

Technical staff, at least Toyota based, in CA gets ****ed. There are enough people that want to live here or cant leave CA that work on cars that they can get away with wage suppression. You dont like the wage? We got another guy that we can fill it tomorrow with.

I moved from Tucson, AZ to Tustin CA and took a 4 dollar hit in wage. Promised a raise after 3 months and never happened. Apparently raises never happened there either. Had to fight for a raise when i made not only ASE master technician but Lexus master technician as well at the next dealer i worked at.

Cant even tell you how happy i am at the opportunity to leave California. Ill take not being able to lane split on my bike in traffic and 100 heat in the summer to be free, earn a livable wage in a low cost state, fire my rifles without mag locks and with full capacity magazines. Most importantly, i cant wait to be able to do what i want with my car and not have some peice of shit agency like CARB dictate a damn thing to me, or have law enforcement ready to throw the book at me over mods because they can.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
Ha, i got a 3 dollar an hour increase right off the bat at my new job in AZ. I would have been happy if they had offered me a dollar less to be honest, just for the opportinity to leave CA.
that's ****ing awesome dude

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well how about that, another local Lexus tech, I'm guessing you're working at Earnhardt lexus? I'm a tech a Superstition Springs Lexus in the east Valley. The AZ car scene is great, there's a awesome car show in Scottsdale every Saturday night. There isn't a lot SVT/Shelby guys in AZ so it's always nice to see another svt guy.

Hey hey, how bout that! Yes, got a job a Earnhardt. I put an app in over at Bell Lexus but never heard back from them. Earnhardt seems to be a legit organization. Also, having a well established Ford dealer as a sister store will have obvious benefits. Im absolutely looking forward to checking out the car scene in Phoenix!

that's ****ing awesome dude

Thanks man! Its insane... just how far CA dealers bend people over. My soon to be former dealer is a Penske store and we had to force management to establish a clear and fair pay matrix. We were recently told that our base journeyman rate of 14 per hour would not go up because of the increase to 15 per hour min wage in a few years. Because it didnt make business sense...

Also, to get out of paying us state law mandated double minimum wage if we provide our own tools, the GM bought the shop 3 sets of entry level craftsman tool sets. This way they can say they provide tools and thus get out of the pay discrepancy. :/

Im not saying any dealership is run by saints. I get it. But damn, will they do everything they can regardless of how rediculous it is.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
IMO: Stay way from the west valley, South Mountain area, Peoria, Glendale, Tempe, Mesa, and Surprise.

Woah, now.

As you mentioned, The Valley (as Metro Phoenix is affectionately known) is a sprawling place.

You can't lump together whole cities like that, considering how much space each city covers. Even though there are areas of Glendale I wouldn't be caught in late at night, I happen to live in North Glendale. Here's an example of a home that recently sold in my neighborhood: http://azgolfhomes.com/listings/12723-n-57th-dr-glendale-az-85304/

I have a similar sized house, with almost twice the lot, and across the street from our subdivision are million-dollar horse property homes. Just about 1.5 miles down the street, in Peoria, a doctor family friend lives in a neighborhood with multi-million dollar homes, just literally down the street from the mansion where the founder of Swift Trucking lives.

My boss lives in a VERY nice area of Surprise in a 5K sqft house. Same goes with every other area in your list.

Even South Mountain, which is a relatively huge area. I know the rep of SM, but even the uber-expensive Arizona Grand Resort area is still technically off South Mountain. Here's a 1200 sqft condo for 400K from there: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8000-S-Arizona-Grand-Pkwy-306-Phoenix-AZ-85044/89458046_zpid/

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey hey, how bout that! Yes, got a job a Earnhardt. I put an app in over at Bell Lexus but never heard back from them. Earnhardt seems to be a legit organization. Also, having a well established Ford dealer as a sister store will have obvious benefits. Im absolutely looking forward to checking out the car scene in Phoenix!

Yeah it's a good shop and they're very busy, plus the new air bag recall on the IS and ES should be a good money maker.

Once you move down her PM and maybe we can meet up, I would like to check out your Shelby.

Users who are viewing this thread