Catastrophic Failure - Post Your Carnage Pics and Vids

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Ah! Okay... that makes sense. I appreciate the heads-up on that one. I thought it slipped because of how far into the crank case it extended.

blue 07

Established Member
Man, that's not cool at all. Sorry to hear about that. Man... Cams on the 4.6 are so easy to do too. How the hell did he screw that job up so bad?
Long story short, the timing chain was off by one tooth when reinstalled so it threw the timing way out of whack. Pics of vice grips holding the cams in place, which also made marks on them my mechanic said when cams were installed. My mechanic told me the cams where 17 and 18 degrees off after the motor blew. Radiator fluid poured out of the motor when disassembled, it was a bad day !! It happened on my first day of vacation to add salt to the wound.:mad:

TClark22

Established Member
my stock coyote block with upgraded internals at 10lbs...this hurt a little.

Only salvagable part of the shortblock are rods and crank. Its replacement with a sleeved block is only going to set me back 7k...nothing huge. lol

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Damn...never saw a block come appear like that before. That's not cool. Makes me a little nervous about boosting my Mustang this summer.

TheGateKeeper

Established Member
Is anyone else getting that weird nervous feeling looking at this thread?

Not as bad as the stuff I'm seeing in here but this came out of cyl #5 of my 01 Cobra. Was bone stock at the time. Bearing is melted into the rod and they are now one. Scored the forged cranks journal beyond any undersized bearings they make.
F7EE8AC7-39A9-4AF0-8E27-B5EDB58936F2_zpsrokerf9n.jpg

8FE15DAA-3A83-421C-B4F2-0004EDA739EF_zpsltdez1rf.jpg

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Whoa... those oil journals are f'ed up. Spun bearing is never a good time. Lovin' that flywheel pic though!

Is anyone else getting that weird nervous feeling looking at this thread?

My stomach hurts when I look at these pictures... mostly because I see money on fire.

This thread is an excellent example of why you should be careful about who works on your stuff and who you take advice from. One poster clearly got screwed and many others show that even when everything is done right, sometimes shit just happens.

TClark22

Established Member
Is there some explanation for that or is it a weak spot in the Coyote block?

This is a weakness of the stock coyote block from 11-14. 15+ seem to be holding much more power without breaking. But there were multiple factors that make it hard to tell what happened exactly. The car was on 91 octane...could have been bad gas. Could have made too much boost...not sure but all test pulls prior held fine at 10-11psi. Could have detonated...never had a problem with detonation on all the pulls i did prior to it blowing. One of the main reasons (i think) is that my thrust bearing was worn the f out and either fell out of place or had already fallen out of place causing lots of crank movement front to back. The spark plug for that cylinder had broken its ceramic core and sent that shit through my motor scoring up all my pistons...it actually looks like something (like the ceramic pieces) got lodged between piston skirt and cylinder wall, creating a pressure point which blew out the water jacket like that.

TheGateKeeper

Established Member
This is a weakness of the stock coyote block from 11-14. 15+ seem to be holding much more power without breaking. But there were multiple factors that make it hard to tell what happened exactly. The car was on 91 octane...could have been bad gas. Could have made too much boost...not sure but all test pulls prior held fine at 10-11psi. Could have detonated...never had a problem with detonation on all the pulls i did prior to it blowing. One of the main reasons (i think) is that my thrust bearing was worn the f out and either fell out of place or had already fallen out of place causing lots of crank movement front to back. The spark plug for that cylinder had broken its ceramic core and sent that shit through my motor scoring up all my pistons...it actually looks like something (like the ceramic pieces) got lodged between piston skirt and cylinder wall, creating a pressure point which blew out the water jacket like that.

I just saw there was another cylinder that did the exact same thing. Cracked the actual sleeve and all. Looks like to me it's from the flame heat and pressure being the highest right there...

blk02edge

Established Member
620hp ZZ572 piston we melted down in a boat a few years ago. Next to a yamaha yz250 piston
20170123_110233.jpg

Gravik

Established Member
Stick haven't pulled apart the motor in the gt. Drained of oil and seized while driving. Be interesting to see what failed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
A0375706-4A6D-41A3-9346-340E7436F569-6350-000006CD7B0FB1BA_zps0409a4dc.jpg

Had 3 pistons that looked like this. Trying to live dangerously on pump gas and got bit.

Users who are viewing this thread