Driving in Rain with Hood Vent open

svtleen

Established Member
Well I have never driven my Cobra in rain, but now after I sold my daily driver my 03 Whipple Cobra is now my daily driver (yes i'm very happy). I had cut out the flap that can close the stock hood vent cause i thought it was useless. However it has been raining pretty hard in SF, CA. Is it safe to drive in a somewhat heavy rain? Would the engine get damage by rain going into the hood vent and then onto the motor?:shrug: Thank you.

Last edited:

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
Here's mine...

DSC_0022.jpg

4+ years in the Florida rain as a DD - zero water issues. Now sunshine was another issue, as the sun oxidized my IC overflow tank and it ruptured. New Canton tank fixed everything right up.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
WOW!:shrug:

I am really surprised that this is a legitimate concern for you guys.
Have you looked where the water drops when you wash the car?

It drops right in front of the alternator, barely any even gets on the belt.

If you knew how many people have been running this way in rainy climates for years and years, you would just go get in the car and drive it.

I would be more worried about guys driving around with drag radials in the rain than open vent flaps.

With that said please DO NOT HOSE DOWN your engine when cleaning your engine bay. The seals on the coil covers have built in gaps(vents) that can leak.

This an OFFICIAL NON-ISSUE.

Last edited:

moot09

Established Member
Youll be fine, have the MGW vents for over a year now. Driven in the rain a few times with no problems. It's pretty much the same thing as washing your car and water falling through the vents.

I've got the FPW vents too for several years. Mine sees rain and snow all year round. The only thing I do when the precipitation hits is put the filter shroud back on. If weather is good, shroud comes off. The heat from the motor keeps the rear of the engine bay very dry in bad weather.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Established Member
Theres flaps on those vents?! Mine are wide open and I thought thats how they came. Can I get some pics of these flaps?

mrose75

Established Member
Youre fine... I DD mine in Seattle.

And believe you me, there is plenty of rain up here!! Damn I hate it. We might as well have 3 feet of snow. WA driver's + WA Rain + my Cobra = Garage queen til May/June.:cuss:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Well I have never driven my Cobra in rain, but now after I sold my daily driver my 03 Whipple Cobra is now my daily driver (yes i'm very happy). I had cut out the flap that can close the stock hood vent cause i thought it was useless. However it has been raining pretty hard in SF, CA. Is it safe to drive in a somewhat heavy rain? Would the engine get damage by rain going into the hood vent and then onto the motor?:shrug: Thank you.

As you know now, you will be totally fine. Did it with mine for most of the time I owned it......

Jimmy, when did you move to SF? Ironically enough, the guy who bought my cobra is up there with you right now visiting his family. 92k miles and it made all the way with no issues! I miss my car!!

Last edited:

GoatSlayer

Banned
WOW!:shrug:

I am really surprised that this is a legitimate concern for you guys.
Have you looked where the water drops when you wash the car?

It drops right in front of the alternator, barely any even gets on the belt.

If you knew how many people have been running this way in rainy climates for years and years, you would just go get in the car and drive it.

I would be more worried about guys driving around with drag radials in the rain than open vent flaps.

With that said please DO NOT HOSE DOWN your engine when cleaning your engine bay. The seals on the coil covers have built in gaps(vents) that can leak.

This an OFFICIAL NON-ISSUE.

Is there any method you would personally recommend when cleaning the engine?

Thanks

346CamaroSS

Established Member
And believe you me, there is plenty of rain up here!! Damn I hate it. We might as well have 3 feet of snow. WA driver's + WA Rain + my Cobra = Garage queen til May/June.:cuss:

:fm: I'm trying to buy a daily here soon

thelpb

Established Member
I have had my hood vents open for 4 years. 3 in Florida rain and now 1 in Tenn rain and snow/sleet. Not a single problem to report.

*edit*

Snowbra!

20373_1181595823509_1336606642_30426890_7814551_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is there any method you would personally recommend when cleaning the engine?

Thanks

Yes PM 04 Sleeper and find out how he does it! Then do it he exact same way!!!

LOL! His engine bay.. hell! His whole car! Is absolutely immaculate!
My engine bay is fairly dirty if I posted pics you guys would call for an immediate BAN!

I usually spray some WD40 where I want to wipe clean and then....
I wipe it clean.
It does leaves a residue that mostly evaporates but if you drive in a dusty area right away it will get dirty on you again pretty fast. If you don't it helps keep fasteners from rusting or corroding, and actually seems to keep that plastic and rubber stuff looking nice. It's terribly old school.

Filling up plug wells with water in DOHC Ford products is to be avoided like the plague! However open hood vent won't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread