Finally Cut That Cord!

nxhappy

Established Member
ya know, I would prolly die without the internet LOL.....but TV, I can deal without it. I hate direcTV, so it makes me smile.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I had DIRECTV. And for where I live I needed their biggest channel package to watch my in market baseball team. I was paying 220 just for direct tv. Plus 60 for internet. Now I got lowest channel package with cable and 100/50 internet all for 140. I'm very cool with what I got going on. Saving over 50% is killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was pretty much me as well. I was paying $180 for DTV alone including credit discounts and those were close to ending. Moved to PSVUE and never looked back. Saved almost $150 and more had my bill gone up. Funny thing, I now have more sport channels with this Vue package than I did with DTV. I’ll be adding HBO once GOT comes back.

I dont have Viacom channels (MTV, VH1, etc) but thats ok, I hate reality fake shows anyways. Hardly saw CC so no lose for me.

96dreamer

Established Member
get the fire tv instead of the stick. its faster. i believe it has more memory. ive used both, with kodi and the box is much faster. the first kodi box i bought with kodi pre-installed. after doing research i found videos on youtube on how to install it yourself without even using a computer. its pretty simple and ive done it a few times already.
Yes i have prime already, had it for several years. I hadn't really considered the fire tv because I didn't think i would use the extra features. Maybe ill look into it some more.

Kiohtee

Established Member
The wife and I received our Fire TV Stick today, funny enough. Had it ready running with Kodi and cCloud within 20 minutes or so.

Now to find a good sports add-on and an add-on where my wife can watch Home Improvement (the TV show). Suggestions would be awesome!

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Not bad, I just called and told them to end the service. They offered a HEAVILY discounted price (about 50% off) to stay but I'm done. They're sending packaging to send my receivers and remotes back.
If they can offer you 50% off to stay, they don't need to be charging you that extra 50% to begin with. **** them.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The wife and I received our Fire TV Stick today, funny enough. Had it ready running with Kodi and cCloud within 20 minutes or so.

Now to find a good sports add-on and an add-on where my wife can watch Home Improvement (the TV show). Suggestions would be awesome!

Put titanium on it.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm using a firestick with Kodi on one TV and a raspberry pi3 running OpenELEC on another. The Pi is hardwired, has more storage and computing power so it always runs smoothly. That said, the firestick runs smoothly 90% of the time.

The main addon I use is Exodus. IMO, it has the best GUI, and the HD feeds are always reliable. The one thing that sucks is there are no HD feeds for movies currently in theaters, which isn't really shocking.

I haven't been able to find a stable Live TV (especially HD sporting events) addon. Does anyone have suggestions? Sports Devil seems finicky.

I also use Plex to stream my own personal media library. I built server running FreeNAS for that.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
we jumped onto the Kodi-Firestick bandwagon about a year ago, but still haven't cut the chord yet. We still keep DirecTV for the live sports channels, general channel surfing, and the ability to watch my dvr from my phone/tablet when I'm away from home.

I cancelled my Netflix... I kept it for 6 months after getting the Firestick but literally never watched it. The wife found herself always watching Orange Is The New Black on the Firestick haha... so I finally cancelled that. Like I said, we still haven't cut the chord, but the "jailbroken" Firestick has still proven well worth it just for the PPV's, movies, binge watching tv shows, and cancelling Netflix.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I'm just learning kodi on my fire box. I use exodus a lot but the newer movies still are crap quality. Does Phoenix update with better quality more often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix is always my go too.. It had gotten better and some movies are perfect quality.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
we've been catching up "house of cards" using Exodus on Kodi. lately its been a pita as so many links are in the wrong episode that we have to go back and keep trying other links till we finally find the correct one for the episode we're trying to watch. do it enough times and it starts to buffer and then you have to clear the cache and restart. still worth it though. there's no way id be subscribing to hbo, showtime, nexflix, etc.. to watch these shows. i just wouldnt see them. and i wouldnt be paying $4 to watch any episodes either.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
we jumped onto the Kodi-Firestick bandwagon about a year ago, but still haven't cut the chord yet. We still keep DirecTV for the live sports channels, general channel surfing, and the ability to watch my dvr from my phone/tablet when I'm away from home.

I cancelled my Netflix... I kept it for 6 months after getting the Firestick but literally never watched it. The wife found herself always watching Orange Is The New Black on the Firestick haha... so I finally cancelled that. Like I said, we still haven't cut the chord, but the "jailbroken" Firestick has still proven well worth it just for the PPV's, movies, binge watching tv shows, and cancelling Netflix.

same here. plus its often how i find out about new shows by just stumbling upon them lol. ive been watching "Drugs Inc" by National Geographic. i would have never head of it had it not been for channel surfing. plus a handful of the automotive shows as well. new ones seem to pop up all the time.

so far ive streamed one UFC fight. the quality was ok at best. at least it was free lol. but i would definitely not be happy watching the world series or superbowl with that quality. in fact got the cord wired back up right before the Super Bowl lol. though we ended up watching it a friends house.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
same here. plus its often how i find out about new shows by just stumbling upon them lol. ive been watching "Drugs Inc" by National Geographic. i would have never head of it had it not been for channel surfing. plus a handful of the automotive shows as well. new ones seem to pop up all the time.

so far ive streamed one UFC fight. the quality was ok at best. at least it was free lol. but i would definitely not be happy watching the world series or superbowl with that quality. in fact got the cord wired back up right before the Super Bowl lol. though we ended up watching it a friends house.

I absolutely agree. I'm always stumbling across some random tv show or miniseries just by channel surfing.

Branhammer

Established Member
I recently cancelled Dish and just went with a Roku Stick with the basic SlingTV package, which has almost all the channels we watch anyway, and Amazon Prime. As soon as I can figure out how to make Kodi work with the Roku I'll probably cancel Sling too. I pay $20 a month for Sling and $100 a year for Prime. We also have Google Chromecast which can cast anything on the Chrome browser to our TV.

No way I will ever pay those asinine costs for cable/dish again. They can all go **** themselves. ESPECIALLY the cable companies.

Users who are viewing this thread