Finally Cut That Cord!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Reviving this as I cut the cord last month and have questions.

I’m currently using a Firestick with Amazon Prime, Netfix, and Hulu. I’m looking for an antenna for inside the attic as my next step - should I go with one that’s amplified? I’m finding mixed reviews. Any recommendations?

Are there any other “must have’s” I should look at? I’m kind of surprised there aren’t more recommendations for apps like Sling, etc.

BTW, I went from paying my cable company $210/month to $90/month while upgrading my internet speed from 200 to 300.

I recommend an amplifier if you are more than about 25 miles from the transmitter.

I have an extra antenna, brand new in the box, that I'm looking to sell. If you pm me your address I'll look up the antennas around you and make a recommendation for a setup for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Not sure on the antenna but look into downloading Terrarium, its much better than kodi.

We've been happy and cord free for a year with Fire Tv coupled with Prime, Hulu, Netflix and Terrarium.

Love Terraruim. Thinking of downgrading my Netflix I’ve got the 4K package but only one tv is 4K the rest is 1080p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So looking at all of these options I have 3 smart tvs. Will i need a device in all 3? If you had one device that could get movies, sports, and TV series ehich would you select?

Hulu, Vudu, and Netflix are already a part of my TVs' base apps.

_Snake_

Established Member
Not sure on the antenna but look into downloading Terrarium, its much better than kodi.

We've been happy and cord free for a year with Fire Tv coupled with Prime, Hulu, Netflix and Terrarium.

Have you had any issues / bugs using Terrarium on Fire TV (since it is "primarily released for Android smartphones")

I recommend an amplifier if you are more than about 25 miles from the transmitter.

I have an extra antenna, brand new in the box, that I'm looking to sell. If you pm me your address I'll look up the antennas around you and make a recommendation for a setup for you.

Thanks. Sending you a PM now.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Have you had any issues / bugs using Terrarium on Fire TV (since it is "primarily released for Android smartphobed?

No sir, the app itself works great. If you want to watch something older or obscure you may have an issue finding good sources but for anything newish the sources are plentiful and in HD. Much better than Kodi imo.

bglf83

Established Member

Tvfool.com will help you find out where the transmitters are.

If you have a radiant barrier in the attic, the antenna must go outside. I use an RCA Anylt outside. It was $40 with the mount, but I am only 30 miles from the transmitters.

Way2QWK

Established Member
Guys, whats the real advantage to using a Fire stick or Fire Tv device verse just using a smart Tv's apps? Is it that the Fire stick has so many more channels or apps to get the content you want? Does it stream faster than using the Tv's internal app system? Whats the difference?

Blown 89

Established Member
So looking at all of these options I have 3 smart tvs. Will i need a device in all 3? If you had one device that could get movies, sports, and TV series ehich would you select?

Hulu, Vudu, and Netflix are already a part of my TVs' base apps.
If the services you want to stream from are already in your CD's you won't need an external device. A lot of TV's have chromecast or a miricast type device built in and you can send things directly from your phone.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Guys, whats the real advantage to using a Fire stick or Fire Tv device verse just using a smart Tv's apps? Is it that the Fire stick has so many more channels or apps to get the content you want? Does it stream faster than using the Tv's internal app system? Whats the difference?
A firestick (must be jailbroken) or Android TV give users the ability to download third party apps like Kodi, Plex, and Terrarium. I'm not aware of a TV that allows this.

96gt02

Established Member
Has anyone tried YoutubeTV yet?
Yes i've had Youtube TV for the last 7 months or so, I use it as a supplement to my SlingTV which i primarily use so I can basically get all the popular channels between the two services. Youtube TV allows you to have up to 6 separate accounts linked to one account so I split it with 6 guys at work and we all only pay $6 a month and each have our own personal accounts linked to one subscription. So in total I pay $31 a month between youtubetv and slingtv and get pretty much every channel I care about and then I use Kodi for Movies and pay per view sports etc.

96gt02

Established Member
I was actually using old Kodi 16 Jarvis until about a week ago and finally got Krypton 17 and did the no limits build, To tell you the truth I have only been watching new movies on it so far through Zen which is fantastic BTW, I havent tried sports on it buy will likely use it for wrestlemania this weekend.... I had been using sports devil in the past with fairly good results though so Ill probably keep trying that unless I find something better, the no limits has a ton more options than what I had on Jarvis 16 so there is probably something even better that I dont even know about yet.

jrandy

Established Member
Man, these threads are always the death of me. Every time one is posted, I update all my devices and try to cut back on my cable, but the companies always offer stupid low rates to keep my service. I have a decent package with DirecTV for all my local sports, HBO, ect, ect for about $50 a month for two TV's. For me, keeping it for the connivence of not having to hunt down a steam is worth it.

On the streaming side, I have four smart TV's with Prime, Netflix, two JB FireTV's running Kodi and a Pi with Kodi.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I always enjoy these threads but :confused: when I'm scrolling just to see I already posted a long time ago. Anyways, I'm thankful for you guys for providing the info that ultimately led to me cutting the cord. Right now, we're running PS Vue on 3 TVs with a Firestick (Kodi/Prime) and antenna (for locals) on one of them plus a friend's Netflix. We're paying around $110/mo for TV and high speed internet. But I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas. Wth is a terrarium?

Users who are viewing this thread