For those looking to upgrade that ugly steering shaft fire wall bearing. Here's the fix!

GM2Ford

Established Member
1st: What's the issue? Over time the cheaply made rubber housing and boot will lose it's ability to smoothly hold the steering shaft in place during times of small axis changes due to vibration & years of steering abuse. This bearing is on the fire wall of our cars that the steering shaft runs through. This helps stabilize the slight wobble in the steering shaft that some may or may not feel.

Here is the location of this part that goes bad over time.

IMG_0425.jpg

So I've been trying to look for this part for years now and could never find it. Yah know the thing that's on the fire wall that your steering shaft runs through. It's like a type of boot with rubber around it to keep out moisture. Well for our 94-04 cars this part is obsolete from Ford. I've tried searching all types of re-manufacturing websites for this Ford part, but I came up with nothing. So then after a while I gave up searching for this part... After cleaning out my engine bay a little bit and upgrading my power steering rack and buying a new MM Steering Shaft, I decided to give it another go and find this...

After finding used versions of this part I figured that was the best I was going to get. A used part. So then I decided to try and find the best looking used part. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone that was parting this out or that had one that wasn't beat up looking. I found a couple on Ebay that someone had taken apart and freshened them up, but it still wasn't what I was looking for... So then after giving up. A month later it dawned up me. I had a parts guy look up some drawings and send them to me of the other makes and models of Ford vehicles that had this similar part... Because... well... surely Ford had to commonize some of these parts, not just for the Mustang.

So before spending a lot of time looking at different makes and models of vehicles, I decided why not try the newer model Mustangs... what's the worst that could happen? This car theoretically should have the closet thing to what I would be looking for.

So I called & took a risk and decided I may or may not be wasting money doing this research. So I ordered a 2008 Mustang's steering shaft boot. & to my surprise it was a common part. It has a greater pivoting angle to the bearing housing which accommodates for more steering shaft to suspension movement. So it's basically an upgrade in my book. Okay, enough of the story... Onto the pictures.

Here is the box & part number it runs about $40

IMG_20170106_204816968.jpg

Here is basically how most of them will look after years and years of exposure to the environment. Most people who have low mile cars, cars that have been very well taken care of, garage kept, etc. I would imagine that they wouldn't look as bad as mine. But none the less... I believe it is a very good upgrade.

IMG_20170106_203726319.jpg

Now I wanted to make sure that the part to the newer Mustangs was going to work for the older Mustangs. So I did some comparison and took some measurements.

IMG_20170106_203901602.jpg

Here you can clearly see that the rubber boot on mines has unfortunately met its maker lol.

IMG_20170106_203922319.jpg

IMG_20170106_204327351.jpg

IMG_20170106_204315233.jpg

You can see that the rubber boot of mine has fallen off and is completely gone throughout the years...

IMG_20170106_204641336.jpg

I actually have the new part flipped upside down in this picture. But the point I was trying to confirm was that it fits snug onto the shaft just like the older one.

IMG_20170106_204515584.jpg

Here is how it looks half way pre-installed.

IMG_20170106_203635169.jpg

Before & After Mock Up

Before%20%20After.jpg

Here is something that one Cobra owner said from another forum, this quote is from 2007 so I'm sure Ford still produced this product.

Tired of sloppy steering, but what's the fix?

I have the fix!! I just fixed this in my Cobra!!! I had a ton of play in the steering wheel, and it was ALL OVER THE PLACE WHEN IT HIT BUMPS!

There is a bearing in the firewall, that the steering shaft goes through. Mine broke, fell out, and was riding around the lowest part of the steering shaft. I could grab my steering shaft at the firewall and move it up and down. I looked at other Mustangs I have, and many had bad bearings in the firewall. Well, I finally found one that had a good one. It is held in a cup (with two 10 or 11mm bolts attaching it to the firewall.) A solid steering shaft will help as well, but I have had this problem in other 94-04 cars. Other cars, I just put a stock replacement shaft, it didn't solve the problem, and here I never knew of this bearing!! Well, I really looked into this on my Cobra, and I solved it!!

I have NO PLAY ANYMORE!! Car is like brand new!

#7SVT32VDOHC, Aug 15, 2007

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tired-of-sloppy-steering-but-whats-the-fix.715396/

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Interesting info. So are you saying that the S197 part is a direct bolt-in, or did you need make any modifications at all to make it work for the SN95?

GM2Ford

Established Member
Interesting info. So are you saying that the S197 part is a direct bolt-in, or did you need make any modifications at all to make it work for the SN95?

Exactly! This is a direct bolt on. You do not need to make any modifications at all. The S197 boot slides right on to the steering shaft of the SN95. All I did was measure the hole diameter where the shaft slides through as well as the bolt holes. The measurements are the same for both. Everything lines up perfectly!

digital911

Established Member
1st: What's the issue? Over time the cheaply made rubber housing and boot will lose it's ability to smoothly hold the steering shaft in place during times of small axis changes due to vibration & years of steering abuse. This bearing is on the fire wall of our cars that the steering shaft runs through. This helps stabilize the slight wobble in the steering shaft that some may or may not feel.

Here is the location of this part that goes bad over time.

IMG_0425.jpg

So I've been trying to look for this part for years now and could never find it. Yah know the thing that's on the fire wall that your steering shaft runs through. It's like a type of boot with rubber around it to keep out moisture. Well for our 94-04 cars this part is obsolete from Ford. I've tried searching all types of re-manufacturing websites for this Ford part, but I came up with nothing. So then after a while I gave up searching for this part... After cleaning out my engine bay a little bit and upgrading my power steering rack and buying a new MM Steering Shaft, I decided to give it another go and find this...

After finding used versions of this part I figured that was the best I was going to get. A used part. So then I decided to try and find the best looking used part. Unfortunately there wasn't anyone that was parting this out or that had one that wasn't beat up looking. I found a couple on Ebay that someone had taken apart and freshened them up, but it still wasn't what I was looking for... So then after giving up. A month later it dawned up me. I had a parts guy look up some drawings and send them to me of the other makes and models of Ford vehicles that had this similar part... Because... well... surely Ford had to commonize some of these parts, not just for the Mustang.

So before spending a lot of time looking at different makes and models of vehicles, I decided why not try the newer model Mustangs... what's the worst that could happen? This car theoretically should have the closet thing to what I would be looking for.

So I called & took a risk and decided I may or may not be wasting money doing this research. So I ordered a 2008 Mustang's steering shaft boot. & to my surprise it was a common part. It has a greater pivoting angle to the bearing housing which accommodates for more steering shaft to suspension movement. So it's basically an upgrade in my book. Okay, enough of the story... Onto the pictures.

Here is the box & part number it runs about $40

IMG_20170106_204816968.jpg

Here is basically how most of them will look after years and years of exposure to the environment. Most people who have low mile cars, cars that have been very well taken care of, garage kept, etc. I would imagine that they wouldn't look as bad as mine. But none the less... I believe it is a very good upgrade.

IMG_20170106_203726319.jpg

Now I wanted to make sure that the part to the newer Mustangs was going to work for the older Mustangs. So I did some comparison and took some measurements.

IMG_20170106_203901602.jpg

Here you can clearly see that the rubber boot on mines has unfortunately met its maker lol.

IMG_20170106_203922319.jpg

IMG_20170106_204327351.jpg

IMG_20170106_204315233.jpg

You can see that the rubber boot of mine has fallen off and is completely gone throughout the years...

IMG_20170106_204641336.jpg

I actually have the new part flipped upside down in this picture. But the point I was trying to confirm was that it fits snug onto the shaft just like the older one.

IMG_20170106_204515584.jpg

Here is how it looks half way pre-installed.

IMG_20170106_203635169.jpg

Before & After Mock Up

Before%20%20After.jpg

Here is something that one Cobra owner said from another forum, this quote is from 2007 so I'm sure Ford still produced this product.

Tired of sloppy steering, but what's the fix?

I have the fix!! I just fixed this in my Cobra!!! I had a ton of play in the steering wheel, and it was ALL OVER THE PLACE WHEN IT HIT BUMPS!

There is a bearing in the firewall, that the steering shaft goes through. Mine broke, fell out, and was riding around the lowest part of the steering shaft. I could grab my steering shaft at the firewall and move it up and down. I looked at other Mustangs I have, and many had bad bearings in the firewall. Well, I finally found one that had a good one. It is held in a cup (with two 10 or 11mm bolts attaching it to the firewall.) A solid steering shaft will help as well, but I have had this problem in other 94-04 cars. Other cars, I just put a stock replacement shaft, it didn't solve the problem, and here I never knew of this bearing!! Well, I really looked into this on my Cobra, and I solved it!!

I have NO PLAY ANYMORE!! Car is like brand new!

#7SVT32VDOHC, Aug 15, 2007

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/tired-of-sloppy-steering-but-whats-the-fix.715396/
That's awesome! Been looking for a fix in play in my steering and slight bump steer! Can you tell me which power steering rack you went with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You put a lot of time into your research, but it will benefit others going forward. Thanks.

GM2Ford

Established Member
Yeah I felt obliged to share this information with my fellow Mustang enthusatists! It's such an inexpensive upgrade and/or fix. & its still in production! So no worries on them being find hard to find... for now lol.

That's awesome! Been looking for a fix in play in my steering and slight bump steer! Can you tell me which power steering rack you went with?

I went with ARG Performance Rack & Pinion. You can find it at LMR.com part # ARG-715583. It runs about $325.

https://lmr.com/item/AGR-715583/94-04-Mustang-Agr-Power-Steering-Rack

digital911

Established Member
Yeah I felt obliged to share this information with my fellow Mustang enthusatists! It's such an inexpensive upgrade and/or fix. & its still in production! So no worries on them being find hard to find... for now lol.

I went with ARG Performance Rack & Pinion. You can find it at LMR.com part # ARG-715583. It runs about $325.

And it's nice and tight?

Brandon Adams

Established Member
how easy is this to do while having to fight getting around the motor while its still in the car.

GM2Ford

Established Member

And it's nice and tight?

It took longer than expected, but I’d like to give an update to this thread for those who inquired about the feel of the AGR Rack & Pinion.

The steering is AMAZING & EXTREMELY responsive. I didn’t notice it until I put on some beefy 275’s in the front and took the car on some curves. Usually, on our cars I’ve driven with the factory rack (GT’s, Mach 1’s, Cobra’s), it always felt a little “boat-ish” with 275’s up front. Even with doing the MM solid steering shaft and firewall bearing.

I didn’t really notice it until I was driving on the freeway, a smooth paved freeway at that, about 75-80mph and I was coming up to a turn... I barely moved the steering wheel and it had a very noticeable amount of steering to the wheels. Night and Day difference. It felt extremely secure & tight, even to move the steering wheel was with very minimal effort.

I didn’t really notice how much of an upgrade it was until I drove my 03 Mach 1 (which is basically almost new with 12k miles, everything factory and well maintained). The Mach 1 steering and other New Edges with the factory Rack & Pinion “now” to me just feel sorta lazy and require extra some effort.

I mean, with the AGR, I can seriously turn the steering wheel while stopped with the tip of my pinky, seriously, it’s that good.

Couple that with the MM solid steering shaft, an 05-09 fire wall bearing, 275’s up front... and you’ve got a car that is ready to slalom until your hearts content!

For those who want a more responsive steering... Definitely would recommend upgrading to the,

1. AGR Rack & Pinion
2. MM solid steering shaft
3. 05-09 steering shaft firewall bearing.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread