RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
7BF49638-E92F-47C6-B35C-D1960137F3F3.jpeg
2F317674-2D27-4CCF-A21E-E8D8396E9A19.jpeg
E036E105-E859-418D-9003-A78B29663C77.jpeg
8CA7F13A-CB98-4303-9910-3A6D5E342DB9.jpeg
(Right lane, DA 2186)

So I got my PB on my first run then did some damage on my 2nd pass right after a Top fuel dragster did a test n tune. Let’s just say the track prep was on point. Lol #paytoplay

Just ordered Mosier 31 spline custom alloys, Eaton trutrac, 3” studs, 3.73s and getting the tubes welded.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Nice time. Sucks about your axle. But at least it will be built now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Nice time. Sucks about your axle. But at least it will be built now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, yup exactly, was gonna happen sooner or later.

Glad you didn’t tear up the car. What about going to a 33 or 35 spline setup?

Ya me too! Was looking at Strange 33 with eliminators but shipping would have took an extra 2 weeks and I need this back up ASAP. Mosier’s eliminators require me to weld 9” ends on then would need brake brackets etc.

Have you thought about a housing brace?

Thought about it but not sure if any work with my diff cooler since I’m TP.

Strange 9"

And thats some impressive destruction right there

If I turn full race car I would. Lol I know right.

Last edited:

KENS96M6

Established Member
I know your trying to get your car up quick. I started twisting the DS splines on 31 Mosers at less weight and less HP than you have. This was a different car but just something to think about. May save you some money in the long haul, especially if you plan to drag race it a lot. Anyway good luck, Ken.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats but sorry to hear. How much do you plan on racing in future. If repeated drag use, throw a stock axle in and order a 9”.
What gear and rpm do you trap now?
You run 17” slicks that are 28”+ with growth so you should definitely run a 3.73-4.10
A 31 spline axle is a waste and you’ll be redoing this in short order.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You may run into a clearance problem with the diff pump and associated plumbing.
Yes but it’s 110% worth bracing evening if you have to modify the brace fittings or both.
These rear axles need a ton of help to actually launch at strip.
-J

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I got my PB on my first run then did some damage on my 2nd pass right after a Top fuel dragster did a test n tune. Let’s just say the track prep was on point. Lol #paytoplay

Just ordered Mosier 31 spline custom alloys, Eaton trutrac, 3” studs, 3.73s and getting the tubes welded.
Congrats on the PB, but sorry you popped an axle. Your built rear will be solid as hell and that is the positive side of this.

dale.baker

Established Member
Congrats but sorry to hear. How much do you plan on racing in future. If repeated drag use, throw a stock axle in and order a 9”.
You run 17” slicks that are 28”+ with growth so you should definitely run a 3.73-4.10
-J
I agree with "J" on this one concerning the 9". Certainly you can tear up a back braced M-9 - 9" as well but with running slicks and softer sidewall tires the rear end stands a much better chance of not breaking under pressure. I put my 9" in my car in December 2014 and have logged over 5000 miles in it with no issues. But I'm not pounding it at the strip as you are on a regular basis either. Great times and and congratulations on your PB.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I know your trying to get your car up quick. I started twisting the DS splines on 31 Mosers at less weight and less HP than you have. This was a different car but just something to think about. May save you some money in the long haul, especially if you plan to drag race it a lot. Anyway good luck, Ken.

Thanks man and I appreciate your input but the parts are already ordered and it’s a risk I’ll be taking for now.

You may run into a clearance problem with the diff pump and associated plumbing.

That’s what I was thinking.

Yes but it’s 110% worth bracing evening if you have to modify the brace fittings or both.
These rear axles need a ton of help to actually launch at strip.
-J

I wonder if anyone here has ever done it and can show what they went with and how they modified it because it makes sense to do.

I agree with "J" on this one concerning the 9". Certainly you can tear up a back braced M-9 - 9" as well but with running slicks and softer sidewall tires the rear end stands a much better chance of not breaking under pressure. I put my 9" in my car in December 2014 and have logged over 5000 miles in it with no issues. But I'm not pounding it at the strip as you are on a regular basis either. Great times and and congratulations on your PB.

I shouldn’t need a 9” at my level but if I decide to up the power it’s defini an option to consider. Thanks man!

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
-J

I don’t know, it’s still a street car that I just take to the track. The parts are already ordered including Frp 3.73s and are being set up next week so I’m going to chance it for now. I shift into 4th right before the line with these stock 3.31s

Congrats on the PB, but sorry you popped an axle. Your built rear will be solid as hell and that is the positive side of this.
Thanks Bob, it should be built enough for my power level and launches now but will have to upgrade again in the future if I want to put more to it.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
A CHE axle brace will fit a TP 8.8" axle assy just make sure you purchase the brace with the proper rear cover plate.

I have one and will be installed tomorrow at my friend's shop.......and I've made my appointment for a date in June to install my 3:90 gear.

Tony

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great move on the 3.73s that shift right before the stripe is killing the trap speed. 60’ is solid.
I understand why you’d think a 9” is overkill but these Cars are unique in that it’s a 4000# beast making 800lbft with a clutch. That’s way more stress than light auto cars even with more power.
If you never intend to go on a road course, you have the car set up great for the strip so my advice is to throw it back together and save for the 9”.
Or brace that 8.8 like a vault
-J

Beercules

Established Member
The 8.8 will always whine after the first launch and you'll twist 31 splines unless you take off lightly. The stock axles are 31 splines.
I put enough money in the stock axle to buy a 9", then realized what I was doing and just switched to 9".

onthe frost

Users who are viewing this thread