GT500 brakes on a terminator with 03 replica wheels

benulis55

Established Member
Can the Vintage Venom gt500 brake conversion kit fit on terminators with 18" 03 replica wheels?

I thought someone on here had done it?? I'd love to do it but I want to keep the 03 replica 18" wheels

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Can the Vintage Venom gt500 brake conversion kit fit on terminators with 18" 03 replica wheels?

I thought someone on here had done it?? I'd love to do it but I want to keep the 03 replica 18" wheels

YES!
It takes a caliper adapter bracket, hub to rotor adapter/spacers, extended studs, and wheel adapters/spacers to move the spokes away from the caliper.

There is an illustration on the page for 94-2004 SN95 Mustangs that shows one.
SN95 Mustang: F14-Stage II Front Brake Package — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits
Please note that this pic is not Mystichrome and is NOT my car, I hot linked it from the Vintage Venom site.
BrianYoungF14

BTW 99 and up Mustangs all have an improved OE brake hose, that are actually better quality than SOME aftermarket braided hoses.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
yes but that is a complete package, is it the same as buying used GT500 brakes and the conversion kit???

I'm not sure what you are asking here.

You initially asked if 18" Cobra Rep would fit, and YES they do.

Do you already have some of the components?
Are you wanting just part of the kit?
What parts?
:shrug:

GodStang

Established Member
I'm not sure what you are asking here.

You initially asked if 18" Cobra Rep would fit, and YES they do.

Do you already have some of the components?
Are you wanting just part of the kit?
What parts?
:shrug:

I am taking that if he found a used set of GT500 brakes and has 18" wheels can he put them on. The answer is no not with out making a custom bracket.

benulis55

Established Member
Vintage Venom has a GT%00 conversion kit for 99-04 mustangs, for ~400 and used GT500 brakes go for ~750 so in the end it is much cheaper than the brembo package listed here. So yeah, its buying used gt500 brakes and putting them on a terminator, but the website lists the wheels need to have 40mm+ offset and if I recall the 03 replicas have 26mm offset

VENOM TECHNOLOGIES — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits

seems to me like it wouldnt work, I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would email Rob Eaton @ Vintage Venom and tell him what you are thinking about trying to do. Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits
He will steer you in the right direction and tell you if it can be done or not.

The GT500 rotor offset(that V-V does use) is a little different than SN95 because it's for S197s.
The GT500 calipers are axial mount, I know they don't just bolt up to SN95 spindles.

He is the best guy possible to ask about Ford brake questions. He is a former Ford racing Brake engineer. He designed the R brake set ups for SVT.

He is also a great guy, and fascinating to talk to.

The GT500 rotors are extremely robust, I'm not sure if you are a tracker, but the reduced overall brake temps, extended pad life, and cooler operating rotors, are a huge plus compared to our over taxed, thinner 13" Brembo Cobra rotors.
The GT500 rotors are way less money than the Roush/Alcon rotors and many other comparable high quality brands of 14" rotors of the same thickness. Because they are OE on a lot of Mustangs they are available at a very reasonable price.

Now I'm going to have trouble falling asleep, thinking about how bad ass my car WOULD BE with those brakes on it.:nonono::bash:

Last edited:

skimskim3074

Banned
Vintage Venom has a GT%00 conversion kit for 99-04 mustangs, for ~400 and used GT500 brakes go for ~750 so in the end it is much cheaper than the brembo package listed here. So yeah, its buying used gt500 brakes and putting them on a terminator, but the website lists the wheels need to have 40mm+ offset and if I recall the 03 replicas have 26mm offset

VENOM TECHNOLOGIES — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits

seems to me like it wouldnt work, I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it

I wouldn't try that too. Hope u solve the problem soon.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I would email Rob Eaton @ Vintage Venom and tell him what you are thinking about trying to do. Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits
He will steer you in the right direction and tell you if it can be done or not.

The GT500 rotor offset(that V-V does use) is a little different than SN95 because it's for S197s.
The GT500 calipers are axial mount, I know now they don't just bolt up to SN95 spindles.

He is the best guy possible to ask about Ford brake questions. He is a former Ford racing Brake engineer. He designed the R brake set ups for SVT.

He is also a great guy, and fascinating to talk to.

The GT500 rotors are extremely robust, I'm not sure if you are a tracker, but the reduced overall brake temps, extended pad life, and cooler operating rotors, are a huge plus compared to our over taxed, thinner 13" Brembo Cobra rotors.
The GT500 rotors are way less money than the Roush/Alcon rotors and many other comparable high quality brands of 14" rotors of the same thickness. Because they are OE on a lot of Mustangs they are available at a very reasonable price.

Now I'm going to have trouble falling asleep, thinking about how bad ass my car WOULD BE with those brakes on it.:nonono::bash:

I emailed Rob a few weeks ago and he stated that the spacers were required on the GT500 kit for hub clearance. This is probably a no go for me as it will throw my CCW fitment off a bit visually.

The GT500 caliper interferes with the SN95 spindle and will not clear without spacers. We designed the conversion to not only clear the spindle but to use the GT500 type offset wheels (45mm). It includes 24mm thick spacers with the conversion (when used with 45mm offset wheels replicates the 18x9.5x20mm wheels used on the 2000 Cobra-R). If you already have wheels you are happy with, our F14 package (SN95F14B) is a direct bolt on and uses top end Brembo Monobloc calipers.

:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I emailed Rob a few weeks ago and he stated that the spacers were required on the GT500 kit for hub clearance. This is probably a no go for me as it will throw my CCW fitment off a bit visually.

The GT500 caliper interferes with the SN95 spindle and will not clear without spacers. We designed the conversion to not only clear the spindle but to use the GT500 type offset wheels (45mm). It includes 24mm thick spacers with the conversion (when used with 45mm offset wheels replicates the 18x9.5x20mm wheels used on the 2000 Cobra-R). If you already have wheels you are happy with, our F14 package (SN95F14B) is a direct bolt on and uses top end Brembo Monobloc calipers.

:beer:

I'm NOW NOT still confused. :shrug:

The GT500 caliper interferes with the spindle, and the SN95F14B kit "a direct bolt on" is a totally different caliper including pads. It does use the same rotors but with a different monoblock caliper.

No spacers and studs are shown in the pic of the SN95F14B

f14bremboredplain3-15-2010cropsizecontrast.jpg

Shown above with RED Calipers
and Plain Brembo Rotors
Package #: SN95F14B-RED-PL
$2195.00
$60.00 S&H (US)
$2255.00 Total

I e-mailed him and got this cleared up. I recommend this kit to people a lot.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm NOW NOT still confused. :shrug:

The GT500 caliper interferes with the spindle, and the SN95F14B kit "a direct bolt on" is a totally different caliper including pads. It does use the same rotors but with a different monoblock caliper.

No spacers and studs are shown in the pic of the SN95F14B

f14bremboredplain3-15-2010cropsizecontrast.jpg

Shown above with RED Calipers
and Plain Brembo Rotors
Package #: SN95F14B-RED-PL
$2195.00
$60.00 S&H (US)
$2255.00 Total

I e-mailed him and got this cleared up. I recommend this kit to people a lot.
That is the F14 kit.

My email response was regarding the GT500 Conversion Kit, which is all the hardware/spacers etc. still requiring 'Stock' GT500 calipers and rotors.

edit:
gt500-kitb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
OK, I THINK, I know how this works.

If you want to run the GT500 calipers and rotors, it can be done but there is a rotor spacer needed between the rotor and hub.

In addition, there is also a special spacer/adapter made by Vintage Venom that spaces and adapts the GT500 caliper bolt pattern and offset to the SN95 spindle.

If 18" 03/04 replicas have enough spoke clearance for the calipers they should work without the wheel spacers.

There are rotor spacers, and there are wheel spacers, I previously thought they were all just wheel spacers. DUH!:bash:

Looks like the longer studs will be needed too.

Phew! I need another coffee.

EDIT: Rob confirmed the above info by Email, the F14 kit is a different caliper(larger) and does not use any spacers.
He also informed me that the F14 kit due to a supplier price break has been reduced in price by 200 bucks, it's now only $1,795 for black and $1,995 for red.
HMMMmmm tempting!

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
OK, I THINK, I know how this works.

If you want to run the GT500 calipers and rotors, it can be done but there is a rotor spacer needed between the rotor and hub.

In addition, there is also a special spacer/adapter made by Vintage Venom that spaces and adapts the GT500 caliper bolt pattern and offset to the SN95 spindle.

If 18" 03/04 replicas have enough spoke clearance for the calipers they should work without the wheel spacers.

There are rotor spacers, and there are wheel spacers, I previously thought they were all just wheel spacers. DUH!:bash:

Looks like the longer studs will be needed too.

Phew! I need another coffee.

EDIT: Rob confirmed the above info by Email, the F14 kit is a different caliper(larger) and does not use any spacers.
He also informed me that the F14 kit due to a supplier price break has been reduced in price by 200 bucks, it's now only $1,795 for black and $1,995 for red.
HMMMmmm tempting!

Ohhhh that price is awfully tempting. :cuss:

Still wish I could use my GT500 calipers easier :burnout:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
man they look really good in red. however i cant justify spending 2k in front brakes alone.....

i remember it only cost me about $1000 to upgrade my 89 fox from stock to 03/04 cobra brakes front and back with an adjustable brake porportion valve, 94-95 booster and an 93 cobra master cylinder, cross drilled and vented rotors.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
man they look really good in red. however i cant justify spending 2k in front brakes alone.....

i remember it only cost me about $1000 to upgrade my 89 fox from stock to 03/04 cobra brakes front and back with an adjustable brake porportion valve, 94-95 booster and an 93 cobra master cylinder, cross drilled and vented rotors.

Brian if you price 14" big brake kits in four piston I think you will find that F14 kit is VERY competitive.
If you compare it to 4 piston 13" blingtastic drilled rotor kits, it's not apples to apples.
This thing is race quality, like hard core road racing quality, even though it is a one piece rotor.

according to the website i cant seem to find anything about any upgrades or rear brake packages for cobra's.

again this is a great thread and it is a very nice option. but for $2k :dw:

Funny you should mention rear kits.

In Robs Email to me he mentioned that he is launching a larger diameter kit for the rears that uses the stock caliper, which retains the P-brake.

Here it is->QUOTE "Secondly, our R14 package is about ready for release. It is a 13 ¾” rear VENTED rotor that works with the production Cobra rear caliper. Our testing this summer proved out some awesome results. The front to rear balance is optimal with our F14 and also the ’99-’04 Cobra front brake. It’s an easy bolt on and will sell for $495 for solid axle Cobra customers that already have calipers and $695 complete with calipers. It even fits in 17” wheels. So, for a black set a full FR14 will be only $2,290 for Cobra applications and $2,490 complete with calipers. Should be hot for sure!"

You heard it here first folks!:rockon::beer:
I also suggested to Rob he might want to check out being a vendor here.
He said he is looking into it, but has been crazy busy.

Let's not forget that FullTiltBoogieRacing has a larger rear kit too that is available NOW! And he is already a vendor at this site, so you can support the home team.
FTBR Brake Parts

Users who are viewing this thread