GT500 brakes on a terminator with 03 replica wheels

TRBO VNM

I have the rear brake upgrade kit with the larger rotor that uses stock caliper. I haven't installed it yet, but I took it in on trade for some work. Nice kit, I just need the time to put it on.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Brian if you price 14" big brake kits in four piston I think you will find that F14 kit is VERY competitive.
If you compare it to 4 piston 13" blingtastic drilled rotor kits, it's not apples to apples.
This thing is race quality, like hard core road racing quality, even though it is a one piece rotor.

Funny you should mention rear kits.

In Robs Email to me he mentioned that he is launching a larger diameter kit for the rears that uses the stock caliper, which retains the P-brake.

Here it is->QUOTE "Secondly, our R14 package is about ready for release. It is a 13 ¾” rear VENTED rotor that works with the production Cobra rear caliper. Our testing this summer proved out some awesome results. The front to rear balance is optimal with our F14 and also the ’99-’04 Cobra front brake. It’s an easy bolt on and will sell for $495 for solid axle Cobra customers that already have calipers and $695 complete with calipers. It even fits in 17” wheels. So, for a black set a full FR14 will be only $2,290 for Cobra applications and $2,490 complete with calipers. Should be hot for sure!"

You heard it here first folks!:rockon::beer:
I also suggested to Rob he might want to check out being a vendor here.
He said he is looking into it, but has been crazy busy.

Let's not forget that FullTiltBoogieRacing has a larger rear kit too that is available NOW! And he is already a vendor at this site, so you can support the home team.
FTBR Brake Parts

Let me clarify my post a little if I may....

Jimmy I'm not questioning the quality of the product but more of how many people really need this very nice race brake kit. The "bling factor" is nice and the function is superior. but why spend 2k+ for brakes when the stock ones work pretty damn good. I'd rather put 2k in the motor and trans. That's just my opinion though.

This kit is great for someone that road races their car on a regular basis but for the average Joe this kit is not needed.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Let me clarify my post a little if I may....

Jimmy I'm not questioning the quality of the product but more of how many people really need this very nice race brake kit. The "bling factor" is nice and the function is superior. but why spend 2k+ for brakes when the stock ones work pretty damn good. I'd rather put 2k in the motor and trans. That's just my opinion though.

This kit is great for someone that road races their car on a regular basis but for the average Joe this kit is not needed.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Unless you are a tracker type there is zero reason to change/upgrade the stock brakes.

If you are a tracker, and eventually start getting faster, the stock brakes have a few issues.

You eventually get pad taper. This is a fairly minor example, but the leading edge wears faster than the trailing edge and you don't get as much use out of your pad before it's on the metal.
10kpadsgone.jpg

Hard use can over heat and spread or "clam shell" the PBR calipers.
(Couldn't find a pic of that.)

The "too thin for tracking a car this heavy this fast" 13" Brembo rotors crack and eventually can fail.
rotors_small.jpg

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
My buddy has this kit, and let me say... it is freaking unbelievable!! His car stops like a mofo. I was completely amazed at how great these brakes are. In fact, the image of the brakes Jimmy showed is his car. They look amazing too.

I agree that it is a lot of money, but 600 rwhp cobra is a little over the top on the street too, and that doesn't stop to many people from doing it. LOL

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My buddy has this kit, and let me say... it is freaking unbelievable!! His car stops like a mofo. I was completely amazed at how great these brakes are. In fact, the image of the brakes Jimmy showed is his car. They look amazing too.

I agree that it is a lot of money, but 600 rwhp cobra is a little over the top on the street too, and that doesn't stop to many people from doing it. LOL

Thanks for the testimonial, unlike drilled and slotted 13" Cobra rotors a 14" kit WILL ABSOLUTELY FEEL DIFFERENT AND ASSUMING IT IS EQUIPPED WITH STICKY ENOUGH TIRES, WILL STOP SHORTER.

Unlike the Brembo Y2KR upgrade this is less about improved repeatability and more about an actually stopping improvement.

Though tires are the ultimate decider on braking distance. If you have stickies and BIG brakes ONLY then you will stop better.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Tires where definitely the weak link... He could torch the tires at 120 mph. It was all the abs could do to keep up!! This kit is on my "to do" list.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Tires where definitely the weak link... He could torch the tires at 120 mph. It was all the abs could do to keep up!! This kit is on my "to do" list.

Hot Kumho 710s with Brembo 13" rotors and with the Y2KR/FocusRS calipers make an incredible difference in stopping distance even over fairly sticky Falken 615 tires.
I can only imagine that 14" kit on a hot set of slicks with Carbotech XP12 pads!!!:rockon::beer:

It would probably force a spring change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread