H&R Race springs

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
This thread is a few years old but I am in a similar situation as i am getting ready to install H&R Race Springs. I have an 03 Coupe and purchased the HD Bilstein B6 rear shocks, and the Bilstein HD Series Front Strut (87-04) with the MM caster/camber plates. Does this sound correct in regards to lowering the car?
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/h-r-race-springs.1058195/

Last edited by a moderator:

josephcostello

Established Member
This thread is a few years old but I am in a similar situation as i am getting ready to install H&R Race Springs. I have an 03 Coupe and purchased the HD Bilstein B6 rear shocks, and the Bilstein HD Series Front Strut (87-04) with the MM caster/camber plates. Does this sound correct in regards to lowering the car?

I run the race springs with the bilsteins front/rear except front is on coils and everything is fine, rides and handles great. I'd recommend removing rear top isos if you want it to sit 1/2 lower.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
I run the race springs with the bilsteins front/rear except front is on coils and everything is fine, rides and handles great. I'd recommend removing rear top isos if you want it to sit 1/2 lower.

Do you have any noises coming from your suspension you can hear due to removing the iso's?

josephcostello

Established Member
Do you have any noises coming from your suspension you can hear due to removing the iso's?

Yeah whenever I go over a speed bump a little fast or a rut in the road you can hear it clunk in the back. Other than that normal driving is pretty much fine. When I had h r sport springs with no isos it was way noisier.

bigmoose

Established Member
While you have it apart doing springs and struts I'd consider doing bushings and ball joints. The steed X2 ball joint is for lowered setups.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
While you have it apart doing springs and struts I'd consider doing bushings and ball joints. The steed X2 ball joint is for lowered setups.

Steeda's Bumbsteer kit looks to be recommended as well. Thoughts on the kit?

bigmoose

Established Member
I refreshed my front end with prothane bushings, steed a X2 ball joints and the bumpsteer kit. All great quality and my steering feels good with no bumpsteer as expected.

If you do bushings make sure to get the right ones. You want "Hydro" ones. For prothane that's part number 6217BL. With these you reuse the factory shells, so don't knock them out of the arm.

The 6207 ones appear to fit but they DO NOT. They have 1/4" of play forward to back.

Here is a crappy bid of my bad bushings. You can see they are seized. The arm should fall to the ground with its own weight.

Last edited:

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
I refreshed my front end with prothane bushings, steed a X2 ball joints and the bumpsteer kit. All great quality and my steering feels good with no bumpsteer as expected.

If you do bushings make sure to get the right ones. You want "Hydro" ones. For prothane that's part number 6217BL. With these you reuse the factory shells, so don't knock them out of the arm.

The 6207 ones appear to fit but they DO NOT. They have 1/4" of play forward to back.

Here is a crappy bid of my bad bushings. You can see they are seized. The arm should fall to the ground with its own weight.

Wow. Those were locked up. Safe to assume if mine fall under their own weight they are good or is replacing them regardless a solid bet?

bigmoose

Established Member
They are not hard to do and inexpensive. I'd do it while you have it all apart.

Just because yours don't bind doesn't mean they don't have excessive play. I think the prothane ones are stiffer than stock.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Rubber bushings don't move freely. They're vulcanized to the shell as well as the center tube. That's why you have to torque suspension bolts with the suspension loaded if you use rubber bushings. If you torque the bolts at full droop the bushing will wrap and load up once weight is put on the car. That's not a concern with poly bushings.

Your bushings were actually working correctly bigmoose. But I'm sure the swap to poly helped things out.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

bigmoose

Established Member
According to Bruce from FTBR bound rubber bushings are considered bad and freeing them up is a positive.

Either way I think replacing original bushings at this point is a step in the right direction.

01yellercobra

Established Member
According to Bruce from FTBR bound rubber bushings are considered bad and freeing them up is a positive.

Either way I think replacing original bushings at this point is a step in the right direction.

Yes, the rubber bushing in stock form are "bound up". The rubber doesn't pivot separately from the metal shells. Going to a poly or delrin bushing frees up the movement which makes things ride and handle better.

I'm not disagreeing with you about switching to poly. I think it's a good idea too. Just didn't want him thinking his bushings were automatically bad for being a stock set up.

TERMINATORSAINT

Established Member
Yes, the rubber bushing in stock form are "bound up". The rubber doesn't pivot separately from the metal shells. Going to a poly or delrin bushing frees up the movement which makes things ride and handle better.

I'm not disagreeing with you about switching to poly. I think it's a good idea too. Just didn't want him thinking his bushings were automatically bad for being a stock set up.

Thanks guys

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
H&R Race with no iso's

I never experienced any popping or crazy noises. Ride quality wasnt bad either imo.

***Rear Fenders were rolled

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You guys know photobucket isn't sharing pics any more right?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you run a bumpsteer kit?

I do have one. MM says you need one when you run their K member and since it was on the car I got the K member out of I kept it. I haven't done all the adjustments though. Plus my inner and outer tie rods were shot. So it worked out. I've been lowered in the past with stock pieces with no issues.

Dave.O

Established Member
Just saw this...
I'm the OP from the original thread, been running this set up for a couple of years now with out any major issues.
I run the isolators front and rear with H&R race and stock bilstiens. Very agreeable on the street and a notable improvement over stock on road course and auto-X. No increase in noise.
I also installed bushings. and bump steer kits (F&R) at same time.
I won't go any lower than this given the condition of my local roads and the amount of speed bumps.

Users who are viewing this thread