Help. My chrysler 300 wont start..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModularFan

Established Member
this is so weird.. i got home and primed it by turning the key 5x, but not all the way and then cranked it over.. started right up.. this was advice i was given from someone..

does this mean its a fluke or that the fuel pump is on its way out or?

thanks!!!

btw it cranked over and over again, running perfectly.. no check engine light or anything..

It was probably flooded like someone else mentioned, did you turn it off, and try and start it again?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
What's there to be jealous of? I am a college student as well! don't understand where that comes into play!

Weren't you going to drop out?

Since Chrysler got into OBD-II, I guess. I have an '04 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5 V6. When the battery is dead, the car _will not_ run on the alternator. I have never seen anything like it in a modern vehicle, and I do not know why. But I do know, at least with my Dodge, that a dead battery will look and act just like a dead alternator.

I have been through two batteries in the 247,000 miles I have had this '04, and both times it acted the same. Battery won't start the car. Get a jump start. As soon as the cables are disconnected, the car dies. Put in a new battery, car runs fine for a few years, and if you check the alternator output all is well.

Don't ask me why. But I will bet you the OP's car is made the same way.

OP, my advice, get a battery.

Jim Snover

Most new cars will not run on the alternator alone. In fact, I've never seen a newer car that would. That newest car I've seen do it was an 80s Honda Accord.

this is so weird.. i got home and primed it by turning the key 5x, but not all the way and then cranked it over.. started right up.. this was advice i was given from someone..

does this mean its a fluke or that the fuel pump is on its way out or?

thanks!!!

btw it cranked over and over again, running perfectly.. no check engine light or anything..

Sounds like the fuel pump might be going, or it could have been just a fluke. Cars are goofy sometimes. Keep your eye on it.

Blown02

Established Member
will do. thanks guys for all the help!

btw i did start it a couple times and all is well so far.. i guess the true test will be if it start tomorrow morning..

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Yep definitely the alternator. While your at it I'd go ahead and replace the blinker fluid too since the 300's are notorious for having the fluid become contaminated when the alternator goes out. Either that or your rear left tire doesn't have enough air in it. While your filling your tire up with air, it would be a good time to get under there and replace your muffler bearings too.

cam302

89 vert
Established Member
my moms 300 had the same thing it was the camshaft position sensor that went bad at first it would just shut off and got to the point that is would not start.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I forgot Auto parts guys know everything there is to know about cars. If that's the case, maybe they should tune car's for the half the price of performance shops? Maybe I should mention that to the President or CEO of Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or NAPA etc. thanks. :rolleyes:

Don't get pissy cause you advocated something without knowledge and got corrected.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
Daimler no longer own's chrysler.

On August 3, 2007, DaimlerChrysler completed the sale of Chrysler Group to Cerberus Capital Management. The original agreement stated that Cerberus would take an 80.1 percent stake in the new company, Chrysler Holding LLC. DaimlerChrysler changed its name to Daimler AG and retained the remaining 19.9% stake in the separated Chrysler.

Although I believe they still share the Blu-tec diesel's in the MB's and Jeep Grand Cherokee's.

And your point? Your copy/paste has absolutely ZERO RELEVANCE to the fact that WHEN this car was developed it was under DaimlerChrysler. Jeebus Christ, I agree with the other guy...shut up please! This car shares a majority of components straight from the Mercedes E-Class. My AWD 300C even has the same components used in the MB 4-matic system.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
will do. thanks guys for all the help!

btw i did start it a couple times and all is well so far.. i guess the true test will be if it start tomorrow morning..

It will, my fuel pump has been doing the same thing on my truck for awhile now. I'm sure its going bad, but it hits at the most random times so I'm not sure that it's worth getting fixed yet and I don't do much traveling that will leave me stranded with nowhere to go.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
The Alternator should read between 12-13 volts, it very well could be the alternator.

That's one shitty Alternator. more like 13.5 to 14.7 is considered normal.

And your point? Your copy/paste has absolutely ZERO RELEVANCE to the fact that WHEN this car was developed it was under DaimlerChrysler. Jeebus Christ, I agree with the other guy...shut up please! This car shares a majority of components straight from the Mercedes E-Class. My AWD 300C even has the same components used in the MB 4-matic system.

I'm glad someone spoke up about that.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Yep. I'm sure it's loaded with MB electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread