HID fog lights?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I grabbed a 99/01 Cobra bumper and going to make some terminator fog lights fit. Im going to do a retrofit for my head lights and would like to have matching fog lights. Are people doing anything other than just putting a plug and play HID bulb in the stock fog light housing?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I grabbed a 99/01 Cobra bumper and going to make some terminator fog lights fit. Im going to do a retrofit for my head lights and would like to have matching fog lights. Are people doing anything other than just putting a plug and play HID bulb in the stock fog light housing?

You need to retrofit a projector setup into the fog housing. PnP kits in a halogen reflector housing are a waste of money and they just blind the oncoming drivers.
Morimoto makes matchbox and mini projectors for just this type of project.
I've been interested in doing on my 98 figs as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i know the HIDs in the normal housing arent a great idea, hence why Im doing retrofits in the head lights. In a quick HID search I just wasnt hitting anything where people were offering that for the fog lights.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i know the HIDs in the normal housing arent a great idea, hence why Im doing retrofits in the head lights. In a quick HID search I just wasnt hitting anything where people were offering that for the fog lights.

Yeah you need to do it yourself. One of the 2 projectors I mentioned in my first post would be a great start. You could also retrofit the 06-12 Fusion fog lights, which were projector fogs. I have an 07 Fusion and the fog lights are pretty nice with an HID kit in them.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i wonder how hard it would be to make those fogs fit in the cobra bumper though. I'll have to do a search on em

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
jus make sure u opt for 4300k bulbs otherwise u get the ricer look. 4300k is closest to sunlight therefore the brightest. its wat u see on every Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc...

Zemedici

Established Member
You need to retrofit a projector setup into the fog housing. PnP kits in a halogen reflector housing are a waste of money and they just blind the oncoming drivers.
Morimoto makes matchbox and mini projectors for just this type of project.
I've been interested in doing on my 98 figs as well, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Dude what? It’s the fog lights....there’s no way it’s blinding oncoming drivers

OP - I’ve had HIDs in both my cobras, and I have never had an issue, nor have anyone flash at me saying I’m blinding them....

Zemedici

Established Member
And the rating has to do with Lumens of output, an actual measurement of lights.

Factory HIDs are usually 5k.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Dude what? It’s the fog lights....there’s no way it’s blinding oncoming drivers

OP - I’ve had HIDs in both my cobras, and I have never had an issue, nor have anyone flash at me saying I’m blinding them....

I don’t really see the fogs blinding anyone either, main concern is them matching color but I’ll explore my options.

I’m aware of the color scale. I ran hid bulbs in stock housings and took them back out a long time ago

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I mean sure, you can run HID bulbs in your fogs and have a "cool" color. But you're not using them to there full ability, and all they are doing is producing glare.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Alright - so I get suckered into this conversation again... The issue with most HID kits is they don't use the correct bulb. So the base of the bulb doesn't quite fit into the housing like it should. This - for some (NOT ALL people) can cause the housing to not be properly sealed. That is the issue I ran into.

The glare - for me - was also there. I used yellow colored HIDs and it would light up just about everything in front of me.

I did want to eventually go LED fogs instead though. Less power and just as bright.

I purchased some Morimoto fogs and then made a adapter plate to mount it into our bumpers. Here are a few pictures of the prototypes of sorts I made:
20170121_102456.jpg

20170124_224345.jpg

20170125_083520.jpg

20170124_223906.jpg

20170124_231037.jpg

20170125_081511.jpg

It looks like something a little more blacked out. The adapter I made is more of a prototype than anything. You have to get down right in front of the fogs to see the plate there holding it all together. The part I like the most is I retained the ability to adjustable beam up and down.
20170124_221705.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread