Issues with the new SONY head unit (mach 460 system)

03SVT_SWE

Established Member
HI,

Just installed a new head unit, SONY XAV-W650BT. Got the harness from Crutchfield, and everything went on smooth.....at least I thought it did....

Eagerly starting the new unit up ready to enjoy a crisp and dynamic sound - what a disappointment! Sound is nowhere close the the original sound. I think I may have done something wrong - at least I hope so.
Splicing the main harness was pretty much straight forward. The sub-harness was not as easy... The two blue/white cords was connected to the blue power antenna cable from the head unit. The two black/white cords was connected to the main ground (no amp ground cord found). The sub harness RCA-connectors (white and Red) was connected to speaker out l and r (not SUB out since it only have one RCA connector). This is the set-up and it sounds like crap....

Grateful for any ideas!

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
A few mistakes on your end.

1. I would hook up the amplifier blue/white wires to the amp remote wire coming from the HU (not the power antenna lead). Some radios only extend the power antenna when the HU is using the radio and retract it when playing other sources. If thats not the case with your HU and the amps are on when the HU turns on, you can leave it alone.

2. The red and white RCA connectors need to be hooked up to the sub out on the HU. This connection is what drives the Mach 460 woofers in the doors and rear deck. Now at least in my car with the Mach 1000; one of the RCAs is for my factory subs and the other is for the factory door/rear deck woofers. I can un-plug one and still have bass out of the woofers and vice-versa. So with that said, you may be able to plug in only one of the RCA connectors and you'd be good. If not, you'd need to buy a RCA splitter, one male to two female.

PS: Make sure you have all of your high and low pass filters set properly. High pass filter for the Mach mid-range/tweeters and low pass on the subwoofer out for the Mach woofers.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
You probably need a single plug to 2 RCA Jack Cable adapter so you can send sound to the 460 woofers, like what I linked below. And to add on to what the poster above me said, make sure to adjust the high and low pass filters correctly to get the best sound of using factory speakers.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=663

The two blue/white cords was connected to the blue power antenna cable from the head unit. The two black/white cords was connected to the main ground (no amp ground cord found).

I think how you have that wired is fine. The Manual online shows the blue/white wire being power antenna/ power amplifier control and as long those match up to the crutchfield harness.

03SVT_SWE

Established Member
Thanks man! That helped out a lot.
1. The power antenna cord seems to be fine to use - amplifiers both on radio, cd and Bluetooth.
2. I made a temporary RCA splitter connected it to sub out, and it works beautifully!

Not being an expert on sound - how to set the high and low filter? I can adjust it in the HU; High pass filer-63, 100, 120, 150, 180 and off. Low pass filter; 55, 85, 120, 160 and off.
What would be a good setting?

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I would set the high pass to around 150 and low pass to 160. Play around and adjust them to your liking.

Anything above 150hz will be sent to the mid-range/tweeter. Anything lower than 160hz will be sent to your woofers.

03SVT_SWE

Established Member
Two things I noticed though...

1. Static noise is noticeable, especially in Bluetooth mode.
2. Radio tuner - sound is still bad (CD and Bluetooth sound is ok). Tried with a different antenna - still bad sound. Any ideas?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

2. Radio tuner - sound is still bad (CD and Bluetooth sound is ok). Tried with a different antenna - still bad sound. Any ideas?

Is there an antenna booster wire that needs to be hooked up as well?

2000GTSTANG

Established Member

1. Check your grounds. Could be a ground loop.
2. Not really sure about this one. Either the tuner is bad or some settings need to be tweaked in the radio.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Don't know if this would help or not, but I had to use the speaker out cables from the HU instead of the line out cables.

03SVT_SWE

Established Member
Don't know if this would help or not, but I had to use the speaker out cables from the HU instead of the line out cables.

Thanks, I just tried to hook up the speakers using the RCA connectors. I guess that was what you ment.... The sub works fine, (as before) but no sound coming out from the other speakers. I cannot find any settings in the HU for selecting output to RCA or DIN, so I'm stucked....again....

Any ideas?

THANKS guys for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread