miss at idle

Riptide

Established Member
I have a 2014 tvs car that has what feels like a slight miss at idle. It is intermittent but if the car sits at a light for a while I usually feel it. It is a pretty subtle just a light jolt or shudder. You can't hear it and the car accelerates and runs fine both in and out of WOT.

I haven't taken it up with the tuner yet just looking for opinions. Plugs were gapped to .032 and are Brisk RR12S.

I had a set of Brisk on my Kenne Belle 3v car and always had a slight miss with it too. Brisk had an awful reputation on those cars but seems like not so much with the coyote.

Wonder if it is worth trying NGK 6510 or if I'm worrying about nothing here. TIA

Riptide

Established Member
Is an occasional miss at idle likely to damage anything?

Is .032 too tight for 9psi? Could a plug that isn't gapped the same as the others cause this condition?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Mine does it also. I just put the vmp stage 2 85mm on, I also changed to the ngk plugs when I did the install. I'm still on the base tune and I'm waiting for Justin at VMP to get back to me on my logs so will see what he says. It's just like you described with the slight shutter.

Riptide

Established Member
So a friend of mine with a paxton also has the same slight miss at idle. So I think I can rule out plugs because you have the NGK and he has a completely different system yet it does it there also.

I'm guessing it's normal.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
So a friend of mine with a paxton also has the same slight miss at idle. So I think I can rule out plugs because you have the NGK and he has a completely different system yet it does it there also.

I'm guessing it's normal.

My car does this stock....never noticed until I put the exhaust on and paid more attention to it.

CPRsm

idk if these cars have wasted spark. But this seems pretty normal as long as the miss is very small. As in "what was that? Was that a miss?!" They seem to have an ever so slight miss every once in a while it seems. Some more pronounced than others. Honestly I think the ECU is doing it for system checks. Testing for misfiring detection, checking to make sure tdc is on the right tooth, etc.
if you barely notice it, or is not every revolution riptide, I wouldn't sweat it

Cobra 2997

Established Member
Mine has a slight miss at idle as well....14 GT w/ Roush/TVS. I had a Boss 302 (NA), that occasionally did it as well.....I think it's just a characteristic of the VCT ?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I think most exhaust\tuned cars do this. I wouldn't sweat it unless I had a bone stock 5.0, then it would probably bug me.

Users who are viewing this thread