My terminator just went nuts... need help!

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Car has driven beautifully last few months until today (11/16).

11/16 - 6:30AM - Started car fine. THEFT light was flashing at a high frequency. The flashing frequency decreased until it finally went away at about 6:35AM. Car drove fine 32 miles to work. Thought no big deal.

11/16 - 10:45AM - Started car fine. Drove about 5 miles, as I'm coasting in 5th gear, the car started to buck on me. Felt like very severe hesitation, but I couldn't hear any exhaust popping. I coasted to a stop in neutral. RPMs fluctuated pretty bad between 200-1000. I started to turn right while in 1st gear and the throttle response was very violent. The car literally floored itself in first. I threw it into neutral and the RPMs slowly fell until the car died. I coasted into a parking space. Car wont start.

Current symptoms as it just sits:

1) When I put the key to the on position, I hear a loud buzzing noise from a module UNDER the front passenger side fender (CCRM). I originally thought this had failed. I replaced the CCRM 11/18... same symptoms still present. CCRM is not the problem.
2) When I put the key to the on position, my Odometer reads: - - - - - -
3) I tried to pull codes with my SCT XCAL 2: it says, "Error, cannot read DTCs."
4) The car cranks perfectly when I try to start it, but it will not turn over, as I do this, I can hear the loud buzzing noise from the CCRM
5) All interior lights and headlights come on fine. Radio comes on fine. CD Changer goes nuts but finally settles down.
EDIT 11/17 6) While the key is in the on position, as I turn the A/C fan to different speeds, I can hear the CCRM buzzing noise change decibel and frequency.
EDIT 11/17 7) I pushed the schrader valve on my fuel rail and didn't have any pressure release.
EDIT 11/18 8) While the key is in the on position, the THEFT light does not go out after 3-5 seconds... it continues to flash. I tried my spare set of keys in case the electrical device in my key went bad. Didn't work. Perhaps the transceiver in the steering column is not communicating properly with the PCM?
EDIT 11/18 9) I thought PATS may have been deactivated in my custom tune, so I decided to reflash my tune to the car in case PATS was reactivated somehow during normal operations over the last couple months. I received an error from my XCAL when I tried to do so. After I put the key to the on position and waited about 15 seconds, the handheld said something to the effect of, "Time Out Error No PowerOn." While doing so, the THEFT light did not flash the same. It actually went out for a while...
EDIT 11/18 10) I read more about the fuel system and how the camshaft position sensor plays a part during start up. I pulled the camshaft position sensor and I could not detect a reading across it with my ammeter as I moved a piece of metal over it. Perhaps this has failed. But, this wouldn't explain the THEFT flashing or bogus odometer reading.
EDIT 11/18 11) As I try to start the car, the fuel pumps DO NOT turn on. I believe PATS disables the injectors and I believe the fuel relay. I'm really leaning towards a PATS problem... I need to do more research to determine how to fix...
EDIT 11/18 12) For grins, I unplugged the FRPS and tried to start. No solution there...

Other checks I've performed: I disconnected and reconnected the battery to try to reset everything. No dice. I also checked every relay and fuse in the drivers side fuse box and engine compartment fuse box. Nothing. I checked vacuum hoses and all my mass air connectors. No luck.

OK... I'm 95% sure I have a PATS problem. Still no idea how to fix it...

EDIT 11/25 FINAL RESOLUTION - Ford found some bad wires on my fuse box beneath my steering column. They just needed to be soldered.

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Well, I'm getting a ride home today. I'm having a tow company come out tomorrow to tow me to the closest Ford Stealership...

I'm going to tell them to replace the CCRM. I could do it on my own, but the difference in towing costs will balance the amount of $ I'm going to pay to have the close dealership do the work...

Blows...

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
that is strange. no idea and I have never read of these symptoms after cruising the terminator forums for 3 years. sounds almost like a theft device symptom (pats)? did your key get wet or get smashed recently? age of battery? age of alt?

keep us updated on diagnosis and cure, maybe you will help someone else out down the road

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
My car has died several times! The stall was first but would start after it died. Last few times it died - frps ,,, missing under throttle then died,,,, wouldn't start,,,, had to unplug the frps to limp home!
Unplug the Frps first!
Reinstall tune second!
Then go to Ford and have pats checked!

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
my theft light started to blink the other day after switching back to my pump gas tune. i pulled over, reinstalled tune, problem fixed. try that, its at least free.

countrysvt

Established Member
mine the odometer done that and rpms done that, pull the parking brake up and try it dont let parking brake off till the odometer shows mileage, but my fuel guage and oil guage is slow about coming on!

eric p

Established Member
I had a similar problem with my 5.0 when I was tuning it with the twEECer, an SCT equivalent I guess, for the 5.0.

Well written OP. Your problem seems to be difficult, however, I could EASILY read your post and get a good picture of what is happening.

Try unplugging your neg. battery cable and flash your "brights" to drain the reserve power to your ECU. This should reset the KAM (Keep alive memory) in the ECU. Try restarting your car and see if the problem resolves temporarily.

I see that you have some increase HP numbers that probably required a tune. In my experience, a tune CAN be responsible for symptoms that gradually get worse that lead to failure. You may have to reload your tune. I have not heard of your type of problem before, Im just giving you ANY help I can.

Keep us posted on this one!

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You had better hurry up and get your car off Kennedy Space Center property.
With the current budget cuts they may pull off your Eaton and mount it on the space shuttle.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
You had better hurry up and get your car off Kennedy Space Center property.
With the current budget cuts they may pull off your Eaton and mount it on the space shuttle.

LOL! You know it!

I'm actually having it towed to my brother's house in Titusville this morning so I can diagnose and work on it myself. I'll post updates. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wouldn't tell the dealer to replace anything. Why spend money on something that may or may not be bad. Let them diagnose the problem. You can tell them what you told us and hopefully that info will lead them in the right direction. Hope it end up being an inexpensive fix for you.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
I had the car towed safely off base to my brother's house. A guy walked up to me and asked me if it was for sale while it was being loaded. lol.

I ordered the CCRM from Tousley. Should arrive Friday.

Last edited:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Did you unplug the frps yet and try to start it?

No I didn't. I will try when I'm by my car Friday. The FRPS is almost brand new, and I've done very very few hard pulls in the car... literally a handful since I installed the new FRPS, and not even one for at least the last month. I just cruise to and from work. Plus, the symptoms started to occur while just cruising in 5th. It's still possible the diaphragm went bad and the symptoms (while driving) seemed like a blown FRPS, so I will try unplugging it and starting.

:beer:

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Bump... added several updates to original post. Really sucks. I'm missing out on a photoshoot at the space Shuttle landing facility tomorrow morning. I have the car looking exactly how I want it to on the outside... and I can't even drive it.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
FWIW (even though this thread is being avoided like the plague)... I'm having the car towed to a Ford dealership on Monday to have them flash the ECU to stock, then I'll reflash my custom tune into the car. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Still a chance it could be the steering wheel transceiver or PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread