New Marijuana Study: Myths & Facts and Misperceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planter

Banned
Listening to 103.5 the Fox here in Denver the other day while driving to Boulder, they were touching on the legalization of marijuana issue here in Colorado. The talk show hosts cited a bunch of facts from this study.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publications/pdf/marijuana_myths_facts.pdf

Now, I am not for legalization of marijuana, rather against it and I had to laugh at some of the idiots calling in to this show.

One guy said he used it to "remain calm and not get angry at people, and it helped him deal with his issues, and that he didn't get mad anymore when the cell phone bill was $80 behind and they shut his phone off". :nonono:

If you need any drug to "remain calm to help you deal with your problems and not get angry", you have issues that go beyond your drug usage. Seek a professional and get to the "root" of your problems. I've had a LOT of problems in my life, way worse than worrying about the cell phone company shutting off my phone because I'm $80 behind on the bill or just getting angry at people...and not once did I ever use any illegal drugs or anything that wasn't prescribed by a doctor to deal with my problems. Tried ritalin when I was 12 (parents had me on it, it didn't work) and the only thing I ever used in college was adderall to help me focus in the classroom because of my ADHD, prescribed by a psychiatrist, and it was effective for a little while, but not long term and I eventually quit using it because it was ineffective.

Another caller claimed to be a CDL driver for a trucking company, and that he was high behind the wheel all day and smoke 3-5 joints while on the road. That's reassuring that truckers are operating 70,000 lb semi's and are high behind the wheel. brilliant.

Made my day in regards to the stupidity, but I figured some of you who have claimed in the past that marijuana is harmless, or should be legal would be interested in reading this study.

discuss. :read:

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
You're new to Colorado... you'll just give in at some point because you hear about it daily.

Last edited:

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
A radio station I listen to also brought up this subject not long ago and the idiots that called in defending its use were hysterical. Weed tends to be popular with the slower crowd I guess.

danbogart

Established Member
I don't smoke, but it sounds to me like you need to pull the stick out of your ass.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
I personally think anyone that listens to 103.5 is an idiot to begin with. Lewis and Floorwax are as dumb as a box of hammers and anyone that can listen to that verbal diarrhea will slowly loose any IQ they have.

Planter

Banned
You're new to Colorado... you'll just give in at some point because you hear about it daily.

I won't give in and use it, I'll just primarily ignore it.

I personally think anyone that listens to 103.5 is an idiot to begin with. Lewis and Floorwax are as dumb as a box of hammers and anyone that can listen to that verbal diarrhea will slowly loose any IQ they have.

LOL! I guess I can claim ignorance then because that's the first time I turned on 103.5 lol. I was trying to get some Broncos sports talk and allegedly 103.5 is supposed to be the "FM Home of the Broncos", but I caught that conversation and listened with interest.

I usually listen to the SD card I have filled with 32 GB of music on my Pioneer DVD/NAV unit, but 850 KOA didn't have squat on Wednesday morning so I flipped to 103.5 in hopes of hearing some Broncos talk. I was a disappoint.

glad to see another fellow Auroran here :beer:

ninety8 GT

Mustang Fanatic
Established Member
If MJ helps people then so be it. I know I'd rather use a plant than chemicals made in factories. I see no difference in people smoking at the end of a hard day of work vs. a glass of beer/wine/liquor to wind down.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Listening to 103.5 the Fox here in Denver the other day while driving to Boulder, they were touching on the legalization of marijuana issue here in Colorado. The talk show hosts cited a bunch of facts from this study.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publications/pdf/marijuana_myths_facts.pdf

Now, I am not for legalization of marijuana, rather against it and I had to laugh at some of the idiots calling in to this show.

One guy said he used it to "remain calm and not get angry at people, and it helped him deal with his issues, and that he didn't get mad anymore when the cell phone bill was $80 behind and they shut his phone off". :nonono:

If you need any drug to "remain calm to help you deal with your problems and not get angry", you have issues that go beyond your drug usage. Seek a professional and get to the "root" of your problems. I've had a LOT of problems in my life, way worse than worrying about the cell phone company shutting off my phone because I'm $80 behind on the bill or just getting angry at people...and not once did I ever use any illegal drugs or anything that wasn't prescribed by a doctor to deal with my problems. Tried ritalin when I was 12 (parents had me on it, it didn't work) and the only thing I ever used in college was adderall to help me focus in the classroom because of my ADHD, prescribed by a psychiatrist, and it was effective for a little while, but not long term and I eventually quit using it because it was ineffective.

Another caller claimed to be a CDL driver for a trucking company, and that he was high behind the wheel all day and smoke 3-5 joints while on the road. That's reassuring that truckers are operating 70,000 lb semi's and are high behind the wheel. brilliant.

Made my day in regards to the stupidity, but I figured some of you who have claimed in the past that marijuana is harmless, or should be legal would be interested in reading this study.

discuss. :read:

Do you drink? I would say take a deep hard look at the destructive power of family, society, abuse, on and on from that drug. I will say I have never run into someone high that wanted to fight. I don't know how many drunks I have run into not to mention the times it helped me make an ass of myself.

Planter

Banned
what do you think people get drunk for? same thing

I wonder the same thing, it's been quite some time since I last got drunk. Stupid shit I used to do because I was young and dumb.

If MJ helps people then so be it. I know I'd rather use a plant than chemicals made in factories. I see no difference in people smoking at the end of a hard day of work vs. a glass of beer/wine/liquor to wind down.

problem is, today's weed is more potent than the weed of 1960 or 1970. You have no idea where the stuff is coming from, what it's laced with, what's been injected into the plants to make it grow faster, greener, and more abundantly, you don't know what chemicals have been dumped in there during processing or what they were sprayed with during the growing process.

"Puff for puff, the amount of tar inhaled and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed by those who smoke marijuana,regardless of THC content, are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers."

the daily smoking of relatively small amounts of marijuana (3 to 4 joints) has at least a comparable,if not greater effect” on the respiratory system than the smoking of more than 20 tobacco cigarettes.

Planter

Banned
Do you drink? I would say take a deep hard look at the destructive power of family, society, abuse, on and on from that drug. I will say I have never run into someone high that wanted to fight. I don't know how many drunks I have run into not to mention the times it helped me make an ass of myself.

I can count the number of beers I've had this year without going past the number of fingers I have if that tells you anything.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I can count the number of beers I've had this year without going past the number of fingers I have if that tells you anything.

OK this is just you. Now think on a national level. I say alcohol is the gateway drug, yet it is legal. Much worse than anything I have seen with dope smokers.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Leave my beer out of it! Im getting hammered for tomorrow's match

Rock on beer

Planter

Banned
OK this is just you. Now think on a national level. I say alcohol is the gateway drug, yet it is legal. Much worse than anything I have seen with dope smokers.

I won't disagree, most people can't handle their liquor. I'm down to have a long island ice tea or a rum and coke, or a some beer every now and then, but when I do I do so responsibly and I don't start any shit with people and I ride with someone so I can drink.

Those that can't control their behavior and drive drunk or get angry, should lose their ability to purchase and consume alcohol. unfortunately, there's no checks and balance system to go along with that thought process because if you stamp their ID, no beer purchase, they'll just get someone to buy it for them.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I won't give in and use it, I'll just primarily ignore it.

That's what I meant... I just want it to be legalized nationally so the constant coverage will stop. It died down when the state legalized it, but it's back with sights set on the national level.

Also, ESPN radio is like 102.3 or something like that.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
LOL @ citing a PDF from the "Office of National Drug Control". Might as well cite "Reefer Madness" as a documentary while youre at it.

I cant even begin to state how stupid it is that as a culture, marijuana is illegal while alcohol and a real useless plant (tobacco) is legal. At least while smoking MJ may be bad, it does have many beneficial uses as well.

danbogart

Established Member
LOL @ citing a PDF from the "Office of National Drug Control". Might as well cite "Reefer Madness" as a documentary while youre at it.

I cant even begin to state how stupid it is that as a culture, marijuana is illegal while alcohol and a real useless plant (tobacco) is legal. At least while smoking MJ may be bad, it does have many beneficial uses as well.

:beer:

jbou91

Established Member
Looks like a bunch of bull shit to me, its not Marijuana myths and facts, its more of a bash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread