New unprecedented Georgia gun law

Woody6799

Established Member
Good for them... at least somebody is stepping to the plate... not sure about how I feel about the police losing the right to ask for a license but everything else is good to me!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The lefties are doing the usual sky is falling, and they will be wrong, again.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Can't wait to see this backfire in their faces. It's going to be great.

Oh, and LOL@no guns in the capitol building. What's the matter? Gun owners are all upstanding, law-abiding citizens, correct?

Typical.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Good for them... at least somebody is stepping to the plate... not sure about how I feel about the police losing the right to ask for a license but everything else is good to me!

It's this way in MS. I should not have to prove my innocence.

Oh, and LOL@no guns in the capitol building. What's the matter? Gun owners are all upstanding, law-abiding citizens, correct?

Typical.

We've been able to do this in MS for quite some time as well.

Sorry, the wild west scenario just doesn't happen.

Woody6799

Established Member
It's this way in MS. I should not have to prove my innocence.

Agreed, and granted this is a news article, but how I read it is that the Officer has no right to ask, as in ever. So if a situation merits the officer to ask I hope he still has the right to do so. That is all I am saying.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Agreed, and granted this is a news article, but how I read it is that the Officer has no right to ask, as in ever. So if a situation merits the officer to ask I hope he still has the right to do so. That is all I am saying.

The way I read it and how it works here is you cannot be detained and do not have to answer any questions for solely carrying a firearm.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The way I read it and how it works here is you cannot be detained and do not have to answer any questions for solely carrying a firearm.

While I don't know the actual wording to the law, I interpreted it as a just because you have a gun on you doesn't mean they can ask, but if you were committing a crime you better have one.

jdw2000gt

Established Member

Typical.

Such a moronic comment. Look out, those gun free zones across the nation are among the highest crime rate areas anywhere but don't let that stop a good baseless rant. The last report I saw from the FBI crime statistics reported that valid license holders made of less than .01% of all violent crimes nationally, to which this entire bill caters prominently. The majority of the bill rewords laws already on the books or more clearly defines them, as it was already legal for most places other than churches/govt. buildings. The precedence is in the fact that we now don't actually have to disarm to go into a school when conducting actual business (picking up kids, conference, etc.) and it also lowered offenses for license holders to mainly misdemeanors if mistakenly in an area off limits, which as we know the law can be interpreted various ways by judges and lawyers. We've been able to carry into bars as long as the owner allowed since SB308, as well as carry on school property when picking up/dropping off among other things that changed with it. I'm also glad the governor kept his word about signing any pro 2a bill that came across his desk.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Such a moronic comment. Look out, those gun free zones across the nation are among the highest crime rate areas anywhere but don't let that stop a good baseless rant. The last report I saw from the FBI crime statistics reported that valid license holders made of less than .01% of all violent crimes nationally, to which this entire bill caters prominently. The majority of the bill rewords laws already on the books or more clearly defines them, as it was already legal for most places other than churches/govt. buildings. The precedence is in the fact that we now don't actually have to disarm to go into a school when conducting actual business (picking up kids, conference, etc.) and it also lowered offenses for license holders to mainly misdemeanors if mistakenly in an area off limits, which as we know the law can be interpreted various ways by judges and lawyers. We've been able to carry into bars as long as the owner allowed since SB308, as well as carry on school property when picking up/dropping off among other things that changed with it. I'm also glad the governor kept his word about signing any pro 2a bill that came across his desk.

While I agree with what you have said, the article said the bill would allow districts to allow teachers and administrators to carry a gun. I am assuming you and I still couldn't take a gun while picking up children. It is hard to say though without seeing how the law was written and not what the article says.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I think this is a good law. Being a GA resident I now don't have to worry about leaving my gun in my car when I go to a bar/restaurant (which is much more unsafe than carrying it). Most of the time I just would not take the gun with me.

You can't be drinking if have have your gun on while at the bar.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Typical.

Here in PA those terrified of firearms said the very same thing when the castle doctrine was signed into law. Fat Eddie Rendell said we'd see the return of the Wild West. Guess what? The left was stuck with eating humble pie.

In my opinion, merely carrying a firearm should not be enough reasonable suspicion in order to detain someone.

Users who are viewing this thread