New unprecedented Georgia gun law

jdw2000gt

Established Member
While I agree with what you have said, the article said the bill would allow districts to allow teachers and administrators to carry a gun. I am assuming you and I still couldn't take a gun while picking up children. It is hard to say though without seeing how the law was written and not what the article says.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/144825.pdf

Start with line 290 I believe. I will retract the comment about conferences as that's questionable currently but as noted by the lawyers/officials who helped draft the amendment (check GeorgiaPacking.org for so of those), it will be legal for the average citizen who IS licensed to carry within a school safety zone (school property K-12 as newly redefined) to have upon them a weapon when dropping off or picking up a student, which would include inside buildings as drafted. There is no doubt going to be some interpretation to the law before actual case law is made, however it is nice that they minimalized the offenses to non-arrestable misdemeanors (most cases) and a $100 fine. Since SB308, there has been no 1000 ft rule for school safety zones (again read school property here) and if you had a valid GWL, you could have a weapon in your vehicle before this passage...so in essence it is just reinforcing and expanding previous law. I would try to expound upon this but I'm short on time, but if you are interested you can visit the site I referenced earlier as they have several threads on the exact changes.

Spudz

Established Member
I'm not really for this sort of legislation, but it is a given right. Really, the root issue is that the idiotic few ruin it for the many law abiding folks that choose to carry.

I guess my negative view on open carry stems mostly from those few idiots that sling a loaded AR and waltz into a private business with a camera looking for a reaction, all so they can post on YouTube saying how badass they are. Those sort of ppl aren't helping the issue on either side of the debate.

jdw2000gt

Established Member
I think this is a good law. Being a GA resident I now don't have to worry about leaving my gun in my car when I go to a bar/restaurant (which is much more unsafe than carrying it). Most of the time I just would not take the gun with me.

You can't be drinking if have have your gun on while at the bar.

I think the term used is "influence" which does not preclude consumption as explained by several gun rights lawyers. It is a grey are though as consumption does not equate to under the influence, but being deemed "unsafe" could equate to being under the influence by an officer I suppose, much like driving, and I believe the same BAC limits apply. I think it really boils down to the person, their ability to process alcohol, and the authority figure at the time. YMMV

I'm not really for this sort of legislation, but it is a given right. Really, the root issue is that the idiotic few ruin it for the many law abiding folks that choose to carry.

I guess my negative view on open carry stems mostly from those few idiots that sling a loaded AR and waltz into a private business with a camera looking for a reaction, all so they can post on YouTube saying how badass they are. Those sort of ppl aren't helping the issue on either side of the debate.

I can agree to that, but people should be aware that carrying a weapon is not a crime and thus create such a disturbance that warrants needing an officer or a camera. It's a two way street.

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
Ohio allows licencees to carry in a bar so long as they are not consuming alcohol. Everyone freaked out about that law, but nothing has happened. Even the news had to come out and say "hmm, nothing actually happened after this law was passed." People need to recognize that those who get a license to carry a concealed handgun are those who are not inclined to break the law. Thus, they are not inclined to violate a new law just so that they can carry a gun while drinking.

msc111

Established Member
Such a moronic comment. Look out, those gun free zones across the nation are among the highest crime rate areas anywhere but don't let that stop a good baseless rant. The last report I saw from the FBI crime statistics reported that valid license holders made of less than .01% of all violent crimes nationally, to which this entire bill caters prominently. The majority of the bill rewords laws already on the books or more clearly defines them, as it was already legal for most places other than churches/govt. buildings. The precedence is in the fact that we now don't actually have to disarm to go into a school when conducting actual business (picking up kids, conference, etc.) and it also lowered offenses for license holders to mainly misdemeanors if mistakenly in an area off limits, which as we know the law can be interpreted various ways by judges and lawyers. We've been able to carry into bars as long as the owner allowed since SB308, as well as carry on school property when picking up/dropping off among other things that changed with it. I'm also glad the governor kept his word about signing any pro 2a bill that came across his desk.

you can just use Mexico as an example.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
VA has allowed OC in "bars" (places that serve alcohol) for damn near ever. more by omission than legislation but an individual could openly carry into such places provided property owners didn't prohibit it.

recently we've been granted CC in such places with the stipulation that you may not consume alcohol while carrying.

no "blood in the streets" from either the long standing OC group or the newer CC eligible.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Those who go out and get their CC permits are not the ones who are running around shooting up the saloon like they are a guest star on Gunsmoke. The people carrying illegal are generally going to be the perps in most bar shootings. All the laws making CC and open carry illegal had no influence on criminals. Criminals, by definition, don't obey the law.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Shit I missed it, some how I got the idea that anybody could carry openly and that included in a bar. restaurant is one thing, but if I go in a bar I'm gonna have a beer or two and watch a game. That would cull me out quick.

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
I see no problems. All of these gun free school zones have been quite successful the last 15 years :rollseyes: . I don't see why any reason why you would not want some trained CC persons carrying in a school. I would much rather have the chance of a friendly fire scenario, than an absolute slaughter house with people left to do nothing but barricade the doors and hope for the best. I don't see the arguments from the left on this. If my 7 year old was in the Sandy hook scenario i would much rather have a teacher barricaded with a barrel pointed at the door, rather than some asshole walking into a class full of children and executing my child. Put your political views away for a second and think of preservation of the life of your child. Newsflash drinking and driving is not legal either.....need i say more.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The Communist governor of Maryland, Comrade Martin O'Malley (Democrat), mad it even more difficult to obtain a pistol after what Adam Lanza did in Connecticut. Stupid Democrats.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Shit I missed it, some how I got the idea that anybody could carry openly and that included in a bar. restaurant is one thing, but if I go in a bar I'm gonna have a beer or two and watch a game. That would cull me out quick.

Then you don't carry. It's quite simple. A little bit of common sense goes a long way in this scenario.

I've been in many bars without drinking a drop of alcohol. It's really not that difficult.

We are beginning to head in the right direction as a country when it comes to gun legislation. Now if we.can just get constitutional carry approved in more states.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Not so sure about allowing them in bars...

It's still up to the business owners whether to allow them in their bars. If it is posted that it is not allowed then you can't have it there. I live in GA and I have no issue with any of this. I have a carry permit and I would have much rather seen GA and SC work out their differences and allow GA permit holders to carry in SC instead of opening up the places that you can carry. GA permits are good in NC but to get to NC you have to drive through SC... That's kind of stupid if you ask me.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Meanwhile in the gun free utopia of Chicago:

By Scott Whitlock | April 22, 2014 | 16:00

Forty four people were shot over the last three days in a bloody epidemic sweeping Rahm Emanuel's Chicago. Yet, CBS has, thus far, ignored the crime wave. In contrast, ABC's Good Morning America and CBS This Morning on Tuesday both briefly covered the violence in the city run by Barack Obama's former chief of staff.

GMA news reader Dan Abrams explained, "Special authorities are creating a special crime-fighting unit in Chicago after a shocking spike in street violence." He noted that among the victims were "six children and two more teenagers overnight." On Today, Willie Geist explained that five children were shot in a park on Easter Sunday. Even though CBS allowed no time for tragic news out of Chicago, the network's morning show devoted four minutes to a possible maple syrup shortage.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-...uels-bloody-chicago-cbs-ignores#ixzz2zoAb76b9

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
It's still up to the business owners whether to allow them in their bars. If it is posted that it is not allowed then you can't have it there. I live in GA and I have no issue with any of this. I have a carry permit and I would have much rather seen GA and SC work out their differences and allow GA permit holders to carry in SC instead of opening up the places that you can carry. GA permits are good in NC but to get to NC you have to drive through SC... That's kind of stupid if you ask me.

This is where I think MS has made great strides. I am legally able to ignore no guns signs with my permit. This includes private businesses and gov buildings.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
It's still up to the business owners whether to allow them in their bars. If it is posted that it is not allowed then you can't have it there. I live in GA and I have no issue with any of this. //snip//

again, just like VA. the owner of an establishment (aka, private property) is free to designate their place as a "gun free zone". they aren't even required to put up signs, they can just ask you to leave (failure to comply results in a trespassing charge NOT a gun related crime).

generally though, anti-gun businesses put up signs. not a lot of places like that in my area... it would be bad for business.

a few branches of a particular bank in town have "no gun" signs, it's a corporate policy. not a SINGLE person in any of the local branches has ever said a word about carrying in the bank. matter of FACT in three of them i've been told directly they don't really care and i'm welcome to carry.

once i was actually asked by the regional manager if i was armed. when i replied yes, she said it made her more comfortable knowing this part of VA had a lot of CC holders. she wasn't fond of her time in commie northern VA nor did she care for the banks "official" anti-gun policy.

this same bank made me sign a form releasing them from liability if something happened to me between the "back room" and the parking lot. as it turns out, when you pick up a LARGE amount of cash they get a little nervous and don't want to be responsible if you get robbed... on their property! officially a "gun free zone" and screw you if you get jacked. i calmly pointed out my Glock would handle any issues that may pop up and bank dude said "good call. no way i would take this much cash without a gun".

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
I can carry in my state capitol :)

That's because we all know Texas is ****ing retarded.

But I actually support these laws. I hope more states pass them, and I also support carrying in schools and capitol buildings.

I'd LOVE to see more laws like this passed. Everywhere.

Then we will see what happens.

You think every patron at a bar is going to be honest whether or not they are packing? L...O...L.

But like I said, go for it.

Sick03Vert

Banned
People need to recognize that those who get a license to carry a concealed handgun are those who are not inclined to break the law. Thus, they are not inclined to violate a new law just so that they can carry a gun while drinking.

:lol::lol::lol:

:bs:...and I can tell you that first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread