Outcome?? 5.0 vs caliber srt4?

blackvette101

Established Member
Reread the first sentence of the OP.

Car is currently on stock turbo but upgrading to bigger and then thats when they will run.

Think itll be a good freeway run.

And better watch the cockiness on fwd launches. Theres a few really good launch control systems that detect wheelspin far better than oem traction controls and can make fine adjustments to boost or timing (IE not via fuel cut) and some of these guys are launching with rwd cars with DR's or AWD cars with meh drivers. Especially since the 05+ srt4 neon and calibers come with lsd so theyre not peg legger fwd like say my gst is stock.

Yes but in the end your still limiting the power coming out of the hole. My cobalt had a similar system where 1st gear would have limited boost and the following gears had a boost by gear system. It was faster then spinning but still slow since it had to cut my power in half to get my street tires to hook up. There are a few FWD cars that can hang from a dig with proper money put into the suspension, tires and traction control but they are few and far between. It also could be in my area most of the import people outgrew FWD after high school and ended up getting higher end AWD/RWD imports.

And OP i forgot to put in my story my brother has a 11 5.0 with ford racing tune. But the SRT was alittle faster it just couldn't hook up. That was a lighter neon not caliber.

TRMach1

Established Member
well a friend of mine ran a 2012 5.0 today which had a cai against his caliber srt4 with stage 1 and exhaust and he got pulled on pretty bad. The 5.0 was automatic so when they went from a roll the 5.0 pulled on him after 80 but when it was from a stand still the 5.0 would take off on him. from a roll it was like 5 cars. I wanted to race the 5.0 in my mach but i didnt get a chance to since i was busy even though i know i would have lost but i wanted to see how i stacked up with my mach 1 with mac o/r prochamber, catback, frpp drive shaft and mwg short throw, i can beat my friends srt4 pretty easily as well and i keep pulling on him so i know i would have put up a better race against the 5.0.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Must have been an intake and exhaust stage one ^
With the MS1K pcm flash, Dp, turbo back, they are seeing 350frwhp
In a 3200lb car they can surprise quite a few.
If the car racing OP has a bigger turbo he will be putting down 400+frwhp
That would come close to waxing a pulley port 03.

TRMach1

Established Member
Must have been an intake and exhaust stage one ^
With the MS1K pcm flash, Dp, turbo back, they are seeing 350frwhp
In a 3200lb car they can surprise quite a few.
If the car racing OP has a bigger turbo he will be putting down 400+frwhp
That would come close to waxing a pulley port 03.

Nope, there is a difference between MS1K and mopar stage 1, my friend has the mopar stage 1 pcm with exhaust no intake.. Like i said they are two totally different pcms, one is from mopar and the other one is from an independent company.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I know Realtune issued the MS1K they are also releasing MS1K2 soon

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I've owned one for 4.5 years. It would take a big turbo car or aggressively tuned stage 2b turbo car to pull a tuned bolt on 5.0 consistantly. Caliber like mine with full bolt on's clamped (key word: Tuned correctly) should pull stock 5.0. My car weighs 3320 with me in it @218. Numbers in sig.

Be happy to meet up with any SW Missouri peeps if they would like to get some runs in. fyi

Last edited:

lafeva

Established Member
I ran my buddies srt4 caliber that put like 350whp the car didn't seem slow but I ran it in my old 97 cobra 13.0 @106 car and from a roll we were even lol.. u should have no problem handling it. My buddy ran a 400 whp srt4 neon in a 12.5@109 fox and ruined the srt from a roll.

Sport The War

Established Member
I've had quite a few good runs with 5.0's. This all done in a 2008 Caliber SRT-4. Car made 354hp/390tq. I've won quite a few and lost quite a few. Have to remember the caliber is lighter and 6 speed, I'll bet my wins have come on automatics. I haven't had a chance to sit down and talk with many owners after runs though. Seems like we get a pull in and the spot gets rolled. It's a lot more fun running 5.0's in the 300c SRT-8 that's in the garage now :)

LS2GTO

Established Member
So did OP's race ever take place?

Do you really think any of these dumb benchracing threads turn into an actual race?

Plus, halfway down the first page the OP mentioned he got a MS3 instead, so doesn't look like the 5.0 vs. SRT4 race is happening anytime soon.

SneakyPete

Banned
I ran my buddies srt4 caliber that put like 350whp the car didn't seem slow but I ran it in my old 97 cobra 13.0 @106 car and from a roll we were even lol.. u should have no problem handling it. My buddy ran a 400 whp srt4 neon in a 12.5@109 fox and ruined the srt from a roll.

Your run with C SRT-4: Either wheelspin was a HUGE issue or he was asleep at the wheel because he should've waxed your ass pretty easily. That's a mid 12 sec car w/ some tires and should trap in the low 110's. I hate the Caliber though, freakin' mini Durango, hideous.

Your buddy's run: :bs::bs::bs: I owned a 455whp pump/505whp 110 SRT Neon and I rolled on a good friend's 03 Whipple Vert by 2 cars 40-140 (no, no vid, by myself because i drove a Neon). That Fox should've gotten not just beat but DESTROYED, multiple bus lengths. Even with Steven Hawking driving the Neon he should've won. Even pansy stage 3 cars with 370-380whp run high 11's @ 12x. Dig race should've still ended in a loss for the Mustang as well, though Neons from a dig are DOGS.

ALSO, OP "a C SRT-4 is basically a stage 3 car?" WTF are you talking about? Stock for Stock, I've pulled on my friend's mini-durango by about a car. They are heavier than the Neon and have shitty gearing. Some Caliber guys will argue all day that they have more potential than a Neon SRT blah blah blah, B.S., the numbers speak for themselves. Not too many 9 second C SRTs.

Fastyzwg

Honestly, if the Caliber is on a stock turbo running highboost. The Mustang would take the victory. However, if it's a big turbo or upgraded turbo, it's another story.

I've lost some and won some with very strong running stangs. Many on shots of NOS. Also, i did lose to a new 5.0. He had a Boss intake manifold, exhaust, xpipe, headers and 3.73 gears. I was impressed. If, you take a look on my youtube channel, you will be able to see how a big turbo caliber does against bikes, cars and trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7u8vwM-yw

To get a sense on how fast that New 5.0 is. Below is a vid of my caliber vs. cbr600rr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Djet6uf0J8

Enjoy!!

Last edited:

662HP631TQ

Established Member
This year I am going from a Caliber SRT-4 with bolt Ons (DownPipe, Catback, Intercooler, Intake, Clutch) and PCM (MS1K) to a 2013 GT500.

The Caliber is deceptively fast. I will admit, it was my very first performance car. I owned a Caliber SXT, and then I grew up to a Caliber SRT-4. Now I got really grown up and ordered the 13 GT500. Both the 5.0 and the 2.4 are incredible engines and the cars have great track records.

To the guy who was beating on the Neon being better than the Caliber and the numbers speak for themselves... The Calibers have only been around 3 years, the neons have been around for what 8 years? Come on! In 3 years they are already in the 10's with very few aftermarket players. The Neon was babied from the begining every aftermarket company wanted a piece. 9's...they will be there soon enough. I am not saying the Caliber is better, but I'd definitely say it is on equal ground. The Neon was Americas sweetheart, the Caliber was Americas bitch and red headed step child....Who grew up to be a BEAST!

There is a lot of talk here, I'd like to see these 2 RUN!

Users who are viewing this thread