Outcome?? 5.0 vs caliber srt4?

pwned

Established Member
Ok so this isnt a kill story but my buddy has a caliber srt4 that as every bolt on but a turbo. The turbo is soon to come. He says it will trap 120+ after all said and done. For those who dont know the caliber is basically a stage 3 stock. If you own a neon this is the turbo to make it stage 3. Dont get me wrong his car is fast. Wont hook in 2nd at any speed and any above gear its a highway whore.

Now I will be purchasing a 2011+ 5.0 but not sure when. I know these cars are low 12's at 117 with full bolt ons. The vortec is a whole other story.

Has anyone ever ran the csrt4 on the steet or anywhere yet? Vids? Outcome?

ArabianOak

Established Member
you should dust him in your stock 5.0. I ran 12.2@115 with just intake and tune on my 5.0. i have a boss now...lol

i highly doubt that car traps anywhere near 120!

MRSUPRA

Established Member
120mph trap? That sounds a little high for the stock turbo. I know the turbo on the calibers has a lot of capacity, but I think you would need 400+FWHP to hit 120mph in the 3200 pound Caliber. You would need every bolt-on in existance to get MAYBE get close to that horepower level with the stock turbo. If I remember correctly (as I used to own one), many people on the forums were getting 315-330ish FWHP with a flash and a few bolt-ons.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
I ran one awhile back with 270/280 to the wheels of my 99. This kid was running 20+ odd pounds of boost through his caliber and brake boosting, he ended up taking me by a car or so.

Match that up against a new 5.0, I'm pretty certain one of those would wax that ass on my 99 way more than a car that the caliber put on me.

pwned

Established Member
I know these 5.0's have plenty of power to them. It just irritates me when people say well everyone on the forum are making 330whp and running high 12's at 112 or what ever on stock turbo. Just trolling the forum 24/7 is crazy. He is running 20lbs with a death knob.
Sends me this link

Stage 2 turbo $650 - Dodge Caliber SRT-4 Forums

Im not making this a bitch fest just would like to know who have ran into these cars.

In all reality i would like to pick up the 13 5.0 but is a wee bit too high in price.

Last edited:

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
Ok so this isnt a kill story but my buddy has a caliber srt4 that as every bolt on but a turbo. The turbo is soon to come. He says it will trap 120+ after all said and done. For those who dont know the caliber is basically a stage 3 stock. If you own a neon this is the turbo to make it stage 3. Dont get me wrong his car is fast. Wont hook in 2nd at any speed and any above gear its a highway whore.

Now I will be purchasing a 2011+ 5.0 but not sure when. I know these cars are low 12's at 117 with full bolt ons. The vortec is a whole other story.

Has anyone ever ran the csrt4 on the steet or anywhere yet? Vids? Outcome?

you will have no problem. i have a 13' 5.0 with exhaust and layed the smack down on a srt4 neon. dont let that caliber scare you.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
The Caliber SRT4's are pretty easy to make fast, but they will have there limits as far as internal engine strength. I wonder how long they would last at 450rwhp.

From my brief experience of owning one, they have 3 good qualities: Nice engine, nice transmission, and lots of space.. Otherwise the car is just a humble suped up noisy economy car with a horrible ride and horrible handling.

And if you like torque steer, this car has the new definition of torque steer. It will literally fight you into a ditch on the side of the road.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I have ran several stage 2 STR4 neons in my 97 cobra and my 02 lightning and never lost by more than a car length. Im pretty sure a stock/intake, tune coyote will dust a stock turbo SRT4 anything, unless perhaps if its on E85 and making the stock turbo beg for mercy. Maybe Im wrong though.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
my buddy has a full bolt on/turbo upgrade SRT4 and i have no problem beating him in my car. Although im FI as well lol.

pwned

Established Member
The 11+ 5.0 was out of my price a month ago and there was nothing in my area so I ended up picking up a 12 Mazdaspeed 3 from my dealer at a good price. The mustang has to be thought threw and not just scoop up the first one I see. I have a feeling the 11-12 will be plentifull at some point when everyone wants the few extra pony's, blacked out rear and led front lights of the 13 so really thats what im waiting for. As well as a random stack of extra cash lol. But i am liking what all of you are saying about putting down a smack down.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
The 11+ 5.0 was out of my price a month ago and there was nothing in my area so I ended up picking up a 12 Mazdaspeed 3 from my dealer at a good price. The mustang has to be thought threw and not just scoop up the first one I see. I have a feeling the 11-12 will be plentifull at some point when everyone wants the few extra pony's, blacked out rear and led front lights of the 13 so really thats what im waiting for. As well as a random stack of extra cash lol. But i am liking what all of you are saying about putting down a smack down.

When you do get one get a 13. I traded in my 2011 for a 13 and though the changes are small it adds up and was enough. The new style after 13 so far is looking not to good.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ran a S3 srt4 neon with the upgraded comp wheel on meth/pump gas. Said he dynoed high 380-390whp.

He made my cobra with numbers in sig look like it was standing still.

Light fwd cars with good motors and boost **** with cars with a 100hp defecit and still competitive. Not too bad imo....

blackvette101

Established Member
You will win 100% a stock turbo is just not good enough. My brother raced an SRT4 neon with a modded stage 3 turbo and all the other bolt ons he was making 393 whp. My brother would jump as the other kid lagged/spun and then would start a very slow reel on my brother and would not inch past him until 100+ mph. that was a 45 roll. The 60 roll the SRT4 started his slow pull from the hit and the 25 roll my brother pulled about 8 bus lengths. And My buddy has an SRT4neon with a ton of bolt ons and and he couldn't run with many cars that trapped higher then 110. The good thing about going against any street driven fwd car is you can always say you want a dig or low roll and you will embarriss them.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
I ran a Srt4 Caliber a while back in my bone stock 01 Cobra and we were nose to nose all the way down the highway. I pulled at the beginning and then the higher km/h (130-160) he started to pull me back in but after that we stayed nose to nose. I think the new 5.0 with said mods should handle business, should be close though with a full bolt on car.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I raced an SRT Caliber when my 5.0 was stock, and it wasn't even close - I pulled away at ease.

He had a S2 badge on the back, loud exhaust, huge aftermarket FMIC, loud BOV and god knows what else. With FWD, from a dig, they're hard to drive fast.

Also, don't think that experience with the SRT-4 Neons is in any way congruent to the Calibers - the Neons were far superior cars.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You will win 100% a stock turbo is just not good enough. My brother raced an SRT4 neon with a modded stage 3 turbo and all the other bolt ons he was making 393 whp. My brother would jump as the other kid lagged/spun and then would start a very slow reel on my brother and would not inch past him until 100+ mph. that was a 45 roll. The 60 roll the SRT4 started his slow pull from the hit and the 25 roll my brother pulled about 8 bus lengths. And My buddy has an SRT4neon with a ton of bolt ons and and he couldn't run with many cars that trapped higher then 110. The good thing about going against any street driven fwd car is you can always say you want a dig or low roll and you will embarriss them.

Reread the first sentence of the OP.

Car is currently on stock turbo but upgrading to bigger and then thats when they will run.

Think itll be a good freeway run.

And better watch the cockiness on fwd launches. Theres a few really good launch control systems that detect wheelspin far better than oem traction controls and can make fine adjustments to boost or timing (IE not via fuel cut) and some of these guys are launching with rwd cars with DR's or AWD cars with meh drivers. Especially since the 05+ srt4 neon and calibers come with lsd so theyre not peg legger fwd like say my gst is stock.

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
I raced an SRT Caliber when my 5.0 was stock, and it wasn't even close - I pulled away at ease.

He had a S2 badge on the back, loud exhaust, huge aftermarket FMIC, loud BOV and god knows what else. With FWD, from a dig, they're hard to drive fast.

Also, don't think that experience with the SRT-4 Neons is anyway congruent to the Calibers - the Neons were far superior cars.

this. i would like to race an srt-4 caliber sometime but there aren't any around my area.

Users who are viewing this thread