Rear differential cooler

Terry Moenich

Established Member
My Racemaster Torsen will be here on Thursday, I got lucky found one in stock!!!! I also ordered 03 Cobra Complete Axle assembies, $200.00 each my cost. Be here Friday! Hopefully by this time next week this project will be done!

JoeJ

Established Member
Terry,

Glad everything is falling into place. I had to replace my GKN stage three axles with a set of 03 Cobra axles a couple of weeks ago due to a split boot. Everything went together fine. Man, it is a shame a person can't get replacement CV joint boots if one tears.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Here's a question, how does one determine how much extra fluid is needed when adding the cooler and hoses? In other words, what is the capacity of the lines and cooler? I must have brain fade from too much plowing and not enough sleep, because this has been keeping me up thinking about this ..:bash: Thanks.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Dave,
What I did was pour in about 2-3 quarts and start the pump to get the pump and lines filled with oil and all the air out. Then I removed the check plug on the housing and filled it untill the oil level got to the bottom of the hole. (remember, I have a check valve so the oil in the pump and lines cannot drain back into the diff when sitting or when the pum,p isn't running)

Brian

Terry Moenich

Established Member
That is about the only method I can think of.

I got my 03 Cobra axles and the Torsen. The axles are identical to 00 R axles except for the inner stub. I will photo later to show both axles.

This is not as simple as changing out a traction loc. The G-disc diff is considerably longer than a trac-loc or Torsen. I was surprised when I did not see any thick shims next to the side bearings, only one on each side less that .075 thick.

So I borrowed my favorite Ford dealer's box-o-shims to set up the diff tonight. I also ordered the #4 crossmember from Steeda to help stabalize the diff housing. Hopefully this will be as bullet proof as it can be.

I also was supprised to see aluminum bearing caps! That gives me the willies!

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Here are pics of the axles. The first one is of the inner stubs. Top tp bottom: Driver side, passenger side, 03 Cobra, both sides on the 03 are the same.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I have a check valve so the oil in the pump and lines cannot drain back into the diff when sitting or when the pum,p isn't running)

Brian

Do you have the part number for this? I don't believe I have seen one of these while checking out fittings.

Thx:beer:

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
Do you have the part number for this? I don't believe I have seen one of these while checking out fittings.

Thx:beer:

yeah! what he said. i'm having a hard time finding a check valve myself.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Does anybody make a replacement differential cover with cooling fins? I have seen this on BMWs. This seems like a good middle of the road solution for people who run at the track infrequently. Probably good for a few degrees temp drop.

Anybody ever see one?

Andy M

Established Member
Man, that thing is cheap!!!:eek:

At this price, you could afford to have it get banged up and just replace it before each track event?...

Terry Moenich

Established Member
The brace may be the same as an 03 Cobra, It's also in the Ford Racing catalog under M-5030-F which means I probably paid too much!

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
The brace may be the same as an 03 Cobra, It's also in the Ford Racing catalog under M-5030-F which means I probably paid too much!
Terry,

I've got the Paul's High Performance IRS brace on my car. I think I paid around $200.00 for it?, if I remember correctly?

Is the FR brace more than that? just wondering?

The Paul's HP brace is made of solid steel, and seems to be holding up well. I've had it on my car for over a year and have had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread