Rear differential cooler

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Terry,
Using the fill hole will work fine. I did that on my 01. The only reason it wasn't done on my 00R was I added two senders to the housing and one was put in that hole.

Lets see pics. :beer:

Originally posted by NJ2000R
I'm also going to use the fill hole for the return....Terry, did you use the same size oil cooler as the one up front? I've checked into a few different sizes/configurations as well....please post pics when you have a chance, THANKS! :thumbsup:

Brian, Terry and Ken:

So, you guys are saying when you want to fill your diff you have to take the temp sensor out? I guess I'm just curious. Because that fill hole is in such an inaccessable area I use my diff cooler pump to overfill the system and cycle the oil through the system with the pump to get the air out of the lines and heat exchanger and then turn the pump off and quickly pull the fill plug out and drain off any excess fluid.

I suppose you could use some sort of a pump and hose to pump the oil into that fill hole? :shrug:

Just some food for thought I guess? :read:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Bruce,
I mentioned in your other post that I do as you in using the pump to fill the system straight from the bottle. Then just pull the sender to check the level. (I am lazy, so I am always looking for a easy way out. ;) )

Brian

Terry Moenich

Established Member
I drilled a hole for the temp sensor and return line, so my fill hole is not used for anything with the cooler. I have my gear lube in a one gallon bottle with a hand pump on top. These are available at any parts store, got mine at Pep Boys. I run the pump for awhile to rid the sytem of air, I don't fully tighten the fill plug, so I run the pump, shut it off and quickly check the level

Terry Moenich

Established Member
I drilled a hole for the temp sensor and return line, so my fill hole is not used for anything with the cooler. I have my gear lube in a one gallon bottle with a hand pump on top. These are available at any parts store, got mine at Pep Boys. I run the pump for awhile to rid the sytem of air, I don't fully tighten the fill plug, so I run the pump, shut it off and quickly check the level

Terry Moenich

Established Member

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Just got the car back from L + M Service in Lunenburg, Mass. yesterday, and I can't say enough good about the quality of work that Mike Morin the owner does. He installed the differential cooler kit, and a temperature gauge on the A pillar. The whole thing looks factory, and he designed it with a temperature switch on the rear end to come on above 210 degrees, but I
also have a manual switch to turn it on.

It is mounted behind the gas tank, he custom made some brackets using existing holes and mounting points, (Kind of like what Terry did) painted the brackets black, ran the return line higher than the diff. to prevent backflow, like I said, it looks factory. Also changed all the fluids, Mobil 1 Synthetic oil, and Royal Purple Synthetic for the transmission and rear end.

I think now I'm all set for Detroit. I was hoping to have a cage done by now, but time won't allow it, so I will pick up my 5 point belts while in Detroit, and have them for the cage installation when I get back.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Dave, sounds good, I still have to get one done also....I'll check yours out at gingerman....what day are you heading out? I'm leaving some time tuesday evening, hope to get there early on wed....

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ken, I'll be heading out on Monday, the 9th and drive straight thru to Detroit, stay at a friends house, and then Tuesday head to Gingerman where we have a room booked at the Guesthouse Inn. Info has been sent to you. I'll see you there !!!!

By the way, how was Carlisle? Heard your car was there along with 2 others....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
carlisle was fun, despite the rain showers off and on throughout the day on saturday. friday was nice, but sunday we packed up early and went home due to the rain and wind, although it may have cleared up later on....

I found a hard to find moulding for my '70 cougar on friday, talked to some old friends, and got to meet some new ones, so that made it worth the trip ;-)

Enigma2002

Established Member
this may have been mentioned before but what about using a DERALE oil cooler and mounting it on the back fuel cell? The kit offered at summit should have everything needed except for the pump....

Terry Moenich

Established Member
The system I designed and photoed earlier in this link works perfect, two track events, Road America and Gingerman, and the rear diff never hit 210.

I also believe removing the original g-Rotor disc diff in favor for the Torsen T2R reduces heat in the diff as well.

No need for a fan

Andy M

Established Member
I just recently installed a new Autometer oil temp gauge connected to the diff.. and although I have not run it on the track yet with the gauge installed? I am seeing roughly 160-165 degrees on the gauge while cruising around on the freeway and in mixed driving... without running the cooler.

I will let you guys know what my diff temps are next time I am at the track, with the diff cooler running?.....

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andy:

My diff runs the same temp on the street. Not quite 170.

I never use the cooler unless I'm on the track. Then I run a consistent 210 in cool temps. I have not done an event in hight temps yet. Should be interesting!!!

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
Andy:

My diff runs the same temp on the street. Not quite 170.

I never use the cooler unless I'm on the track. Then I run a consistent 210 in cool temps. I have not done an event in hight temps yet. Should be interesting!!!

I'll let you know what happens in "high temps"??? we've got alot of that here in Texas!!! Will be doing TWS in August... ought to be good and toasty!! :burn:

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
I took my 99 (no R...sniff) to Charleston NC and back, and averaged 180*. Never over 210 at the track with the pump on. Very pleased with the "Groth Perfomance" ideer, and saved buku change too.

When I go back to get the pinion angle set (sensitive bugger, that IRS) and dyno burn the chip, I'll get some pics. It's pretty much the same as everyone else's, just a different cooler.

Last edited:

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Andy, do you have the stock diff or Torsen? My street temps are
125 to 135 range with the autometer gaugewitout the pump on.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
Andy, do you have the stock diff or Torsen? My street temps are
125 to 135 range with the autometer gaugewitout the pump on.
Terry,

You forget where I live man?!!:rollseyes :burn: In south TX where it is as hot as a firecracker on the 4th of July!!

I still have the stock diff...but with 3.73:1 gears and the KB cooler.

I just got back from a run on some country twisty roads and ran the car pretty hard in some of the turns... 80-90+ on some of them, and over 155 on the straights (short periods of course) and it is about 97 degrees here today... and I had the cooler running the entire time.. and my gauge never went above 175. So, I figure it may get another 15-20 degrees hotter than this when on the track running hard... so, that would be just shy of 195-200 or so.... I will find out for sure when I go to the SCMC event next month at TWS in College Station.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread