Rear differential cooler

Terry Moenich

Established Member
My temp sender is in the cover. You will note the cover is very thin, so tapping is interesting. I have the return line and sender tapped in the cover and left the fill hole alone so I could check the level. I epoxied (JB Weld) brass fittings in the cover after tapping it, and ran the fittings into the brass, a much better fit and feel of safety.

ragansrcobra99

That R has a CLOCK?!?
Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
My temp sender is in the cover. You will note the cover is very thin, so tapping is interesting. I have the return line and sender tapped in the cover and left the fill hole alone so I could check the level. I epoxied (JB Weld) brass fittings in the cover after tapping it, and ran the fittings into the brass, a much better fit and feel of safety.

We noticed how thin it was also Terry, but with nothing pulling against the senders, unlike the AN line, I didn't think it'd be a problem, so they're just there. We had considered welding aluminum bungs to screw the fittings to, but hey, I'm a hillbilly, we just duct-taped them....;)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
My temp sending unit was 1/8" pipe tap and the bottom of the cover was no sweat for this piece. Plenty of thickness for a 1/8" tapped hole.

Now the return line was a little more interesting!:read: Just above the fill hole was a round "casting history indicator" which added just a slight amount of material (like one thread! Hey, when you only have three, that's a 33-1/3% increase!!!!!:lol: )

I put the AN fitting in very carefully with lots of dope AND teflon tape being careful not to overtighten the fitting and stress the thin walled casting. If the rear end was NOT fixed, I would not feel comfortable with what I did. But seeing there is little or no movement, I didn't see it as a problem.

The only thing I don't like about this set-up is the return line is directly above the fill hole and you have to have the plug in when filling otherwise the lube will just run out the fill hole. There are not many more options (that I saw) for the location of the return line unfortunately.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Andy M

Established Member
Terry, you're right man... heck, the NASCAR guys could not finish races without it?!! They use copias rolls to keep the sheet metal on those cars after a little "fender bangin and paint swappin"!! ;-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
am i nuts? i recall an 'in the trunk' install of the diff cooler. i swear i saw a pic in a magazine once - cooler mounted upright with an electric fan on it. anyone have a pic? google didnt have much.

John:

That was the original mounting location. We have since started putting them under the rear bumper cover behing the fuel cell. They breathe much better out there and the heat and smell stay outside as opposed to inside.

Bruce

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
am i nuts? i recall an 'in the trunk' install of the diff cooler. i swear i saw a pic in a magazine once - cooler mounted upright with an electric fan on it. anyone have a pic? google didnt have much.

diffcooler15.jpg

Here is the setup in my 00R

Brian

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
attachment.php

Is the spare tire for those days that you run over a nail on the track?:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :beer: :beer:
:nono: sunday cruising :p

kevin

attachment.php

Is the spare tire for those days that you run over a nail on the track?:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :beer: :beer:

nah. i put it in there so you could see something from the r was clean:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
nah. i put it in there so you could see something from the r was clean:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea, I know what you mean!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bowdown: :bowdown: :p :p :p :beer: :beer:

Thumbsup, pal!!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:

kevin

Yea, I know what you mean!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bowdown: :bowdown: :p :p :p :beer: :beer:

Thumbsup, pal!!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

hey, at least i was polite and was giving the wave bye:shrug: :lol:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kevin
hey, at least i was polite and was giving the wave bye:shrug: :lol:

Looks to me like you're popping off that dude in the white car for running you off the track?!?!;-) :lol:

kevin

Originally posted by ac427cobra
Looks to me like you're popping off that dude in the white car for running you off the track?!?!;-) :lol:

since brian is a friend i didn't want to point that out

kevin

Originally posted by ac427cobra

i would simply like to say, lisa and i had fun.

i guess when i doo something i go all out and oo it right:thumbsup:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Sorry Shelby Guy, but I don't have a scanner or I would show you pictures of mine. I was one of the first to put a diff cooler in my 00R - in fact, just as soon as Kenny Brown released them (Nov 2000). SVT originally "cobbled" one together on their prototype, but there weren't any commercial ones available until then.

Yes, it is mounted upright in the trunk with an electric fan and a heavy duty pump. It looks somewhat like Brian's picture. We did not feel an air intake was necessary because you have to run with your windows down. As for "exhausting" the air from the fan, my mechanic came up with a clever idea. Instead of cutting a hole in the rear quarter panel (the way the SVT prototype did), he cut a hole through the back of the trunk and mounted a 4" duct from the fan to it. He then routered (sp?) a channel in the styrofoam between the back bumper and the fuel cell. So the "bad air" gets vented through all those little slots in the rear bumper. A very creative and slick installation. In fact, pictures were sent to SVT and Kenny Brown to demonstrate this way of doing it. As for Bruce's comments, yes you can mount it underneath. Is it better? Dunno - but I disagree with his comment about airflow and heat exhaust - plus I don't really notice any smell either.

I really don't think it matters where you mount it - just so you have one. I see you have an 03 Cobra - and if you are going to use it on road courses, I highly suggest getting one. I just mounted one on my 03 Cobra - under the rear bumper! Since my car doubles as an everyday driver, I wanted to keep the trunk "functional".

Users who are viewing this thread