Resonator delete on gt350

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Is the Mustang GT X-pipe, Ford Performance part no. M-5251-M8, what is used by everyone for the resonator delete on the GT350? I don't see anything specific for the GT350. The Ford Performance website overview for the part states, "Fits 2015-2017 Mustang GT 5.0L Coupe and Convertible."

Attachments

• Ford Performance Mustang GT X-Pipe M-5251-M8.pdf
    579.7 KB · Views: 412

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I want to strictly use only Ford Performance parts for mods on my GT350. I found this on the American Muscle website regarding Ford Performance part no. M-5251-M8 in the Q&A section:
Would this fit a 2017 GT350 ? Thanks.
  • This Ford Performance cut and clamp resonator delete X-pipe will not be able to fit on the 2017 Mustang GT350.

KevinD92

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Is the Mustang GT X-pipe, Ford Performance part no. M-5251-M8, what is used by everyone for the resonator delete on the GT350? I don't see anything specific for the GT350. The Ford Performance website overview for the part states, "Fits 2015-2017 Mustang GT 5.0L Coupe and Convertible."

People are getting custom cut pipes to delete the resonators. That's why a GT350 with resonator deletes clamped/welded in still don't sound quite the same as the GT350R. The "foreign" pipes and clamps/welds actually attenuate the sound a little bit. If you want the full R sound, get the full R exhaust.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
People are getting custom cut pipes to delete the resonators. That's why a GT350 with resonator deletes clamped/welded in still don't sound quite the same as the GT350R. The "foreign" pipes and clamps/welds actually attenuate the sound a little bit. If you want the full R sound, get the full R exhaust.
I looked into the availability of just the R X-pipe, but Ford parts and Ford Performance doesn't have any exhaust listings for the GT350 or the R. Ford Performance does list an aftermarket cat back from Borla. I checked with Borla and the X-pipe is not available by itself.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I looked into the availability of just the R X-pipe, but Ford parts and Ford Performance doesn't have any exhaust listings for the GT350 or the R. Ford Performance does list an aftermarket cat back from Borla. I checked with Borla and the X-pipe is not available by itself.

Yeah, that's the problem. I forgot to mention that finding OEM parts for the GT350s is apparently quite difficult. You either have to go to the dealership or have an insurance claim. Even with an insurance claim, it's still difficult to pull up the OEM parts. I think Ford does it on purpose to protect the integrity of the GT350s. You can find all the aftermarket knockoff parts you want, put good luck finding original equipment pieces on your own.

ANGREY

Established Member
From header to tip the exhaust (OEM) comes in 3 pieces, the shorty header, the catted "section" (which includes the bulbous cat and a piece of flex with the NVH dampeners (aka weights) and then the entire rest of the exhaust is one big single piece (the x pipe joins the two and then section where the two front facing exhaust hangers are this weird mangle of thin hangers that are tacked together) and then from there it splits off into each side mufflers, valves, etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is the reason there's probably not a "stock" part is because the entire x pipe back is one joined piece.

If you want the R version, I'm betting you'd have to order that ENTIRE assembly.

I'm not of the opinion that one resonator delete (x) would sound any appreciably different than another. There's plenty of youtube vids that dispel the myths about hp and sound characteristics of x's vs. H pipes, etc. As long as it's an x design, it's pretty much going to sound like every other x design (with the stock headers and stock exhaust components being the same for each setup).

Bottom line, if you want the resonators gone, it's going to involve spending a boatload on a whole new x back assembly from Ford, or involve cutting and either welding or exhaust strap clamps.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yeah, that's the problem. I forgot to mention that finding OEM parts for the GT350s is apparently quite difficult. You either have to go to the dealership or have an insurance claim. Even with an insurance claim, it's still difficult to pull up the OEM parts. I think Ford does it on purpose to protect the integrity of the GT350s. You can find all the aftermarket knockoff parts you want, put good luck finding original equipment pieces on your own.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. I've purchased any number of OEM GT350/R specific parts from the Ford dealer parts network without any difficulty. All were delivered directly to my front door.

I'm not of the opinion that one resonator delete (x) would sound any appreciably different than another....As long as it's an x design, it's pretty much going to sound like every other x design (with the stock headers and stock exhaust components being the same for each setup).

This.

The Shiftek piece is quick and easy. Any competent muffler shop can get delete the resonators in short order.

Zemedici

Established Member
So you're wanting Ford parts

But not to purchase them from Ford...?

I'm lost by your prerogative here...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
GT Premi, the GT350/R parts are readily available through Ford just as they are on the rest of their car fleet. You said...

I forgot to mention that finding OEM parts for the GT350s is apparently quite difficult....I think Ford does it on purpose to protect the integrity of the GT350s. You can find all the aftermarket knockoff parts you want, put good luck finding original equipment pieces on your own.

The above simply isn't the case.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
That's because the X section is part of the exhaust assembly. Welded portions of a typical exhaust system aren't (usually) available as individual parts. You need to order the rear portion of the R model exhaust system. Here it is as it is presented to Ford Parts...

GT350R%20exhaust.jpg

You can order it from any Ford dealer in the United States that has a parts department. Not sure if you are being rhetorical or trying to prove a point as it makes little sense to buy the entire system when you can source "X" sections from the aftermarket that eliminate the resonators. Shiftek has one for example.
https://shifteck.myshopify.com/coll...oducts/shifteck-resonator-delete-x-pipe-gt350

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Tob, thanks for taking the time to post that page. I'm just being anal with the GT350, ie. I want anything that I modify on it is using genuine Ford parts or Ford Performance parts. I may buy some stock straight pipe and replace just the resonator section. What would you suggest for the stock pipe? I'm thinking 2.5", 409 stainless, 16 ga. A buddy of mine said it looks MIG welded and not TIG.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I believe you need 2.75" tubing. Depending on where you cut, the ends need to be matched, unless you butt weld. Guage should be fine, as should mig with stainless wire. Factory system is 409ss so that would be a match.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
It sounds like you made your mind up already, and if i could weld i might do that too, but i liked how with the shifteck i can clamp my resonators right back in if catless headers are too much or the next owner wants it stock.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Thanks Tob, I believe I read somewhere that certain sections were 2.75". That size is not widely available... at least at a reasonable price. It looks like there are some spots where one can butt weld a pipe in. I'm not quite sure yet if I'll delete the resonators. I know someone who can mig weld very well and is pretty meticulous in his work. If I can get him to do it, then I would. The clips I've seen on You Tube are pretty convincing. There's one with Stainless Works long tube headers that's awesome. I wouldn't be getting Christmas cards from my neighbors if I got them :D

Users who are viewing this thread