Rusty Rotors

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Hi all

I bought a set of rotors/pads off AM right around May and had them installed. https://www.americanmuscle.com/xtremestop-rotor-ceramic-kit-brembo-1114gt.html

I know rotors get rusty when they get hit by water almost instantly but I've never had it coat the inside of my wheels with sling off the rotors. If anyone has any ideas as to what caused this or if it was just the cheap rotors it'd be appreciated. I'll note though this only happened on the driver side front and rear but very little if not at all on the passenger side.

Rear:

20170720_163244_zpseylqybjm.jpg

20170718_150228_zpscxqpmahm.jpg

Front:

20170718_150247_zpsghstegka.jpg

Thanks

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Update...

AM emailed me and said this is normal... Advised to use a wheel brush to clean the inside. Problem is after I drive off and the rotors are rusted/wet, the sling just coats the inside of the wheel again. I pulled the wheels off and sprayed a healthy dose of brake clean/brake dust cleaner and the front seems to be a lot better. Rear Driver is still creating/slinging a lot more than I think is normal considering I don't have the problem on the passenger side. Wondering if I should pull the pad and reinstall just to see if it isn't seated right.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Canadian5.0,

It isn't cheap but a Vac-'n-Blo by Metropolitan Vacuum is the answer to chasing water out of hidden places on the car. You would be surprised by the amount of water that can be blown out of a late-model Mustang, lol!

There may be cheaper options but I think it is worth considering. As an added bonus, you'll find fewer water spots to get rid of, too, on the paint and windows.

HTH,

Chris

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
When you wash the car, just take it down the street quick lightly loading the brakes, rust issues will be gone.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I have an electric blower I use to dry the car with some times so maybe I'll give that a try. I just find it funny that it's only affecting the drivers side rear now, all other corners don't do this.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So after 5 weeks the rusting issue hasn't returned on the driver's side front? Did you do the same clean-up on the driver's side rear as you did on the driver's side front (with the brake clean/brake dust cleaner)?

96gt02

Established Member
Thats pretty terrible looking, i've never had that happen even on cheap rotors lol, but who knows what junk AM is selling now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Before installing any rotors, I've always sprayed them with high temp clear. The pads wear off the paint on the rotor face immediately, but the rest of the rotor (the hat, veins, etc) remain rust free.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
So after 5 weeks the rusting issue hasn't returned on the driver's side front? Did you do the same clean-up on the driver's side rear as you did on the driver's side front (with the brake clean/brake dust cleaner)?

I think i ended up taking all the wheels off and spraying them down with brake clean and maybe that had something to do with the front working out. It was never quite as bad as the rear anyhow.

Before installing any rotors, I've always sprayed them with high temp clear. The pads wear off the paint on the rotor face immediately, but the rest of the rotor (the hat, veins, etc) remain rust free.

I did this on the rear and it did seem like it worked but then the rust fling came back after a few washes. Might need to try a higher temp clear next time.

Users who are viewing this thread