So you want Brembo brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Even if I had the money I would not buy anything brembo or Harwood just because of the rediculous prices.

Thanks for posting a reasonable alternative.

paintmann111

Established Member
I was going to do this but it looks like EVERY vendor is out of stock...:cryying:. I can't find them anywhere.

PaceCar328

Established Member
well looks like the secret's out. I put together a kit for $450 by buying a used set witha broken caliper for $300 and a replacement caliper from autozone

Aesthetics28

Established Member
You know I tried doing this exact same thing but my autozone was being such a pita about it... They kept giving me the run around I ended up buying a used set on the forums but they had only 500 miles on them!

Redline8k

Established Member
great info! Ill be looking into this soon as well.
**edited reread your post about the way you currently have the xover tube ran and you addressed my concern. have you test fitted them yet?

Last edited:

paintmann111

Established Member
It seems the secret was out back in February. I emailed a couple places and apparently the stock had a huge run the past couple months with no cores being returned. Centric has the same calipers, but they have now changed the core fee to $150.00 plus $130 for the caliper. Seems like they caught on guys...

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
great info! Ill be looking into this soon as well.
**edited reread your post about the way you currently have the xover tube ran and you addressed my concern. have you test fitted them yet?

I have all the parts, except my dumbass forgot to order a set of pads. It's the little things sometimes right? Anyway, I have since ordered a set of pads from Hawk (the HPS blue box) They are slated for delivery on Tuesday. I should have an answer for you by middle of the week, end of the week at the latest. (By the way, the motorcraft pads were available locally, for $432....I passed on them)

It seems the secret was out back in February. I emailed a couple places and apparently the stock had a huge run the past couple months with no cores being returned. Centric has the same calipers, but they have now changed the core fee to $150.00 plus $130 for the caliper. Seems like they caught on guys...

Autozone and Advance still have the calipers for $99 with a $30 core. Those are done by Cardone. Perhaps they will catch on, but it's not likely. I think you see a short term spike from the supplier you speak of due to simple supply and demand. The demand will decrease as the supply of cores increases and the price will be as it was......that or they'll get called out by people who point out that major market players such as Autozone or Advance still have them for the lower price. I played this game years ago when I put 2003 Cobra brakes on my Mark VIII. As long as there are IDIOTS out there paying the $1500 for a kit that has these very parts we are discussing then yes, they will try to influence the market price to maintain their astronomical profits......hell I would too. I tried to buy a single caliper, used none the less, off ebay and the seller wouldn't go less than $250. It took him 3 months, but he did finally sell it for $250. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited:

paintmann111

Established Member
What rotors did you go with? I ended up finding them! Got one for $130 the other for $190. I am going with either the Hawk Ceramic or HPS pads since I do mostly DD and spirited driving. All the rotors I found were north of $100 though...That's the last piece for me.

Also, where can I find the cross over tube?

SoCal Stangman

Established Member
You can't find these calipers anywhere. The only place I could find any is Rock Auto, but the pair is over 600.00

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
What rotors did you go with? I ended up finding them! Got one for $130 the other for $190. I am going with either the Hawk Ceramic or HPS pads since I do mostly DD and spirited driving. All the rotors I found were north of $100 though...That's the last piece for me.

Also, where can I find the cross over tube?

One of my local parts suppliers had the Powerstop crossdrilled/slotted ones available through special order so I did that. I think I ended up paying about $180 for the pair. Then I lucked out and found the rear Powerstop cd/slotted ones on ebay from American Muscle and won them for $30. I've seen some on ebay for less than $200 for the front. I used to use all R1Concepts stuff but over the years as they grew more successful they got more expensive. The crossover tubes can be found at Autozone, Pepboys, ebay, etc. Just remember to get something that it at least 10 inches long. The 8 inch doesn't fit in the intended path.

You can't find these calipers anywhere. The only place I could find any is Rock Auto, but the pair is over 600.00
Like I said, it takes patience. It took me over 2 weeks to get both of them. But they can be had if you are willing to play the system.

Guys, I just did this. I know you can do it as well. Don't let a single no from some desk lacky deter you. Go into the store, find an associate who has more than a 6 year old mentality, and be ready to pay in advance for a delivery date that is well into the future.

Last edited:

paintmann111

Established Member
I got mine, found both on ebay. I got an email back from A-1 Cardone and they confirmed they have absolutely no cores available and do not know when they will get more in. Seems like their well is all dried up. lol

As for the cross over tubes, do you know where I can buy the premade/factory ones? Dont really feel like bending the auto zone one.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
As for the cross over tubes, do you know where I can buy the premade/factory ones? Dont really feel like bending the auto zone one.

Ford does not sell them separately. I have not seen them listed on their own pre-bent even when I had my Volvo R car that had 4 pots on all 4 corners. They might be sold through Brembo directly, but it seems like they won't even sell the o-rings that seal the 2 halves of the caliper.

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I got mine, found both on ebay. I got an email back from A-1 Cardone and they confirmed they have absolutely no cores available and do not know when they will get more in. Seems like their well is all dried up. lol

You are correct that they have no cores. I ordered mine from a local Advance and he had to call Cardone 3 times and confirmed when they got a core, thus I had it before it ever hit the inventory system. That's part of playing the game. You can't wait for it to show on inventory, someone will buy it instantly. You have to kinda massage that relationship with the guy at the parts counter to get him to work for you. I am fortunate that I have a commercial account and this kid prided himself on his ability to get hard to find parts.

As for the tubes, they are available prebent on a camaro site. They can be found here:
http://www.racingbrake.com/Crossover-TubesCrossover-Tubes-Camaro-SS-CTS-V-p/bm41-01a.htm
It's $40 + shipping. That is the only place I found that had them. Brembo won't sell them to you. Brembo will also tell you that you can't rebuild their calipers, yet they sell rebuild kits. Their advice is that you buy a new caliper, it comes with crossover tube. Real kind of them isn't it?

paintmann111

Established Member
So essentially you can't powder coat these things and I'm stuck painting them? My poweder coat guy said I have to strip them down (all o-rings out etc) before he would powder coat them. Since it's rebuilt I figured no problem, but I'm worried if something happened to seals I wouldn't be able to fix it.

Anyone know of a good paint system that actually looks nice and will hold up over time?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Zeckhausen Racing sells the piston seal kits for Brembo calipers. They might be able to source the seals for the body halves. They also sell the proper tool for compressing the pistons, which I have used a bunch of times and it is worth every penny.

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
So essentially you can't powder coat these things and I'm stuck painting them? My poweder coat guy said I have to strip them down (all o-rings out etc) before he would powder coat them. Since it's rebuilt I figured no problem, but I'm worried if something happened to seals I wouldn't be able to fix it.

Anyone know of a good paint system that actually looks nice and will hold up over time?
I have seen them powder coated assembled. Not that I would either recommend or not, but I have seen it done. Actually I think there is a set on eBay right now that was done assembled.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Also, my pads have arrived and I assembled the setup. It is ready to install, and I think I'm going to get it done tomorrow.

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Awesome write up, in for pics on the car. May order myself a set here in the next week now that I finally have wheels that can fit the bigger brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread