So you want Brembo brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Ok, so as usual when I'm working on 745 things at once I tend to make small oversights on big issues. I for some reason (unknown to me) had it in my head that the wheels I have would fit the Brembo's. As I was about to install, I had a thought (more like a sledgehammer to the side of the head) that these wheels weren't gonna work. Of course I was right, they won't. I bolted up the Brembo prior to breaking the brake lines open thankfully, and thus was able to do a quick clearance check......which failed. Just a thought to anyone else doing this project, don't work on it half assed as it just makes more work in the long run. I don't know why I thought my wheels would work......I guess it was item 892 on my list of 745. Either way I took a quick shot of the factory rotor/caliper mount and the brembo mounted up. The good news is that the crossover line being slightly higher and not in the intended mount doesn't create and clearance issues. Now I just have to hunt down a set of wheels that I can live with so I can finish.
IMG_5095_zpszqbet1kc.jpg

IMG_5096_zps7jnmzrvu.jpg

And for those who wish to now point out the stupidity of my error on wheels, I will point out these factory wheels don't work
IMG_4703_zps1ypavsln.jpg

BLK_5.0

Established Member
man that stinks - the Brembos look great tho. Pretty sure there are a couple of guys in Georgia or down your way selling stock Brembo wheels pretty cheap-either on here or on facebook. Good luck with finding a set!

nosscort

Established Member
Ok, so as usual when I'm working on 745 things at once I tend to make small oversights on big issues. I for some reason (unknown to me) had it in my head that the wheels I have would fit the Brembo's. As I was about to install, I had a thought (more like a sledgehammer to the side of the head) that these wheels weren't gonna work. Of course I was right, they won't. I bolted up the Brembo prior to breaking the brake lines open thankfully, and thus was able to do a quick clearance check......which failed. Just a thought to anyone else doing this project, don't work on it half assed as it just makes more work in the long run. I don't know why I thought my wheels would work......I guess it was item 892 on my list of 745. Either way I took a quick shot of the factory rotor/caliper mount and the brembo mounted up. The good news is that the crossover line being slightly higher and not in the intended mount doesn't create and clearance issues. Now I just have to hunt down a set of wheels that I can live with so I can finish.
IMG_5095_zpszqbet1kc.jpg

IMG_5096_zps7jnmzrvu.jpg

And for those who wish to now point out the stupidity of my error on wheels, I will point out these factory wheels don't work
IMG_4703_zps1ypavsln.jpg

Small spacer on the front will work and they will fit

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I'm not a fan of spacers. I've seen what happens when a spacer slowly fails, and it's not pretty. No big deal though, I already have a new set en route. I got a hella good price on some American Muscle 2010 GT500 wheels and since I was intending on doing all black to begin with, it gave me good reason to buy a 3rd set of wheels (which I'm sure my wife will appreciate.......:bash::cuss:) These:
gt500wheel_zpslp5bywpg.jpg

BLK_5.0

Established Member
I almost went with those wheels too but nded up with the laguna seca replicas instead.

BLK_5.0

Established Member
just tried ordering everything from autozone online and i did not meet the minimum quantity requirement....lets hope my local 12 year olds working the counter can make it happen.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
You won't be able to get them online. They'll be forever out of stock that way. You have to get the counter guy to do some legwork to get them. I am not 100% sure, but I think the new Ecoboost is also coming with the 4 piston Brembo so that may help supply the market. And my first choice was the black leguna seca wheels, but I got a deal on these 2010 GT500 replica's so I had to jump on it.

Now, for those still patiently awaiting the pictures of doing this......not yet. lol. But I did get my new wheels and had my tires moved over to them today, along with a well overdue alignment after I lowered it. I could see some cupping on the inside so I had them do it all today. (also, I got a set of TPMS sensors from a seller on eBay, helluva deal.....$49 shipped to me with a 30 day warranty for all 4) Anyway, if all goes to plan I should have this conversion done tomorrow. Until tomorrow, here's the new wheels installed
IMG_5127_zps0pg9rdqb.jpg

skipnay

Established Member
What is the size of those wheels and where doesn't it exactly fit?

12coyotegt

Established Member
Thanks for the great info. I just picked up the calipers from autopartsexpress for $58.74 + $45 core, total of $103.74 per side. Got the Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors with pads for $245.97 for a grand total so far of $453.45. :rockon:

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
What is the size of those wheels and where doesn't it exactly fit?

They were factory Premium appearance package wheels. 19x8.5 The offset to the rotor isn't deep enough and the caliper contacts the back of the spokes

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Thanks for the great info. I just picked up the calipers from autopartsexpress for $58.74 + $45 core, total of $103.74 per side. Got the Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors with pads for $245.97 for a grand total so far of $453.45. :rockon:

That is awesome. Yet another success story for someone who puts forth the effort. As I said, if you search they can be found. I would love to know how you got them SO CHEAP! I've not seen them for less than $100 each anywhere......the $30 core is the going lowest price, and a small price to pay. I got the Powerstop rotors as well, and the HAWK HPS pads.

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Ok, and now for the finale. I have finished the install. I have some pointers for those inclined to do it as well. There is no reason to remove or replace the splash shields.....at least not on a 2013. I did not remove mine and there is no clearance issues. Perhaps they use smaller ones for heat dissipation, but I don't see that being necessary given the crossdrilled rotors will vent themselves. Perhaps if you go with stock undrilled rotors you should read further into it. The shorter PAE308 brake line did not cause any issues running over the top of the caliper vs being in the channel that is there for it. That being said, I'd still get at least a 10" line or buy the prebent ones to save the trouble. If I was doing it again, I would buy prebent. Otherwise, it is a relatively uneventful install. Remove wheels, remove caliper securing bolts (two 12mm) and pull caliper off. Set caliper on lower part of A-arm until you are ready to remove the line. Remove caliper support bracket (two 15mm bolts). At this point, if you so choose or so need to on other year models you would remove the splash shield.....I left it on after confirming it wasn't an issue. Now put the new rotors on, slide the new Brembo into place and use the two 15mm bracket bolts to secure the Brembos in place. After getting everything tightened up I removed the brake line from the old caliper and installed it on the new Brembo in the shortest span of time possible to reduce fluid loss or air build up chances. I chose to gravity bleed the system (for those who don't know how to gravity bleed, you just open the bleeder(s) and wait for the fluid to start coming out......then tighten them up) Once they had gravity bled I got an assistant to pump as I did the final bleed to the system. You must bleed both valves independently of each other. Even though they are equalized with the crossover there will be a little air in them as the bleeders are on the top side and air obviously travels up in fluid. I did make a bit of a mess of the paint job on the calipers, but at this point many weeks later I was ready to just get it done. I can go back and touch up the paint when time permits. Below are just a few pictures of them installed. I took shots of both sides from different angles so you can see the splash shield as well. Any questions feel free to ask, but it is as simple as just replacing a bad caliper would be......even a simpleton could do it! :pepper:

ENJOY :D

IMG_5147_zpsl9qhgu0e.jpg

IMG_5146_zpsgfo1dkig.jpg

IMG_5145_zpsygbknxzu.jpg

IMG_5144_zpsc7s4jhlz.jpg

IMG_5143_zps0lkebtgs.jpg

IMG_5142_zpskhawxttg.jpg

IMG_5141_zpsls7sa2e4.jpg

IMG_5140_zpsiakiikgd.jpg

IMG_5139_zpsnvb9wygp.jpg

IMG_5138_zpsatuajaos.jpg

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
And they work like a dream. You can instantly feel the difference in brake system power. For those who got TrackPack's, you don't know how good you got it. I can only imagine how hard the 6 piston must bite. I further lightly researched the rear brakes. I did find that Shelby offers a 6 piston rear kit, but it's almost $4000. Considering rears don't do but like 30% of the work, I couldn't even imagine justifying that price. Seeing as I just installed them I don't have many miles on them yet, and not wanting to screw it all up I haven't used them hard or extensively yet. I'll keep reporting back as they bed in and I get to use them more.

12coyotegt

Established Member
Stang99x, when you get on there website it'll show a higher price. Once you select it, the price changes to the price i stated in my previous post. Maybe they do that to ward off people.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Stang99x, when you get on there website it'll show a higher price. Once you select it, the price changes to the price i stated in my previous post. Maybe they do that to ward off people.
I went to the site and checked on the calipers. Please double check your order and part numbers to be sure. The Brembo's show out of stock. The Brembos are the 18-5128 and 18-5129 numbers on their site. The 18-4928 and 18-4929 are the normal GT calipers. Just want to make sure you don't end up with the wrong thing.

12coyotegt

Established Member
I got part numbers 18-5128,18-5129, i believe i got the last ones.

4.SLOW

Established Member
I just wanted to add this to your post up above. The 05-10 backing plates also work without an issue. I believe they are a little bit smaller than the 11-14 backing plates, to fit the 12.4" vs 13.2" rotors, but the caliper opening still has no clearance issues. I ran them on the car for a few months. I just took them entirely off a couple weeks ago to get some brake ducts welded on, and then they'll go right back on, after a little bit of modification for the cooling benefit.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
The only issue I could see with the splash shields would probably be on the 6 piston calipers. They are close on the 4 piston, so the larger caliper of the 6 may be the reason everyone seemed to think they wouldn't work

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
The only issue I could see with the splash shields would probably be on the 6 piston calipers. They are close on the 4 piston, so the larger caliper of the 6 may be the reason everyone seemed to think they wouldn't work

I have the 6-piston Brembos and I just took off the old brake calipers and put on the new. No issues at all.

As for bleeding the brakes and keeping the brake fluid off the calipers, I devised a little contraption so it wouldn't mess up my new paint on the calipers.

1397582949_zps3548e534.jpg

1397845156_zpsfc0cf6ff.jpg

1397845214_zpscfeefc7b.jpg

1397582941_zps50347760.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread