Thinking on 13-14 shelby

termcobra281

Established Member
Hey so not really sure where to post this but anyways just wanna get your guys thoughts on trading my 2003 mustang cobra in on a 13-14 shelby? Will the cobra be worth more money one day? What can you guys tell me that I need to know? Just kicking the thought around not sure if I wanna pull the trigger or not... Thanks for any input.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
After owning both IMO the 13/14 GT500 is just a modern day terminator. I will admit in some ways I think the 03/04 cobra looks better especially the ass end. But the front end of the 13/14s look amazing. You can make 700+whp with basic bolt ons, the interior is so much nice, the car handles great, it's all around a better car.

Having said that the GT500 doesn't feel as raw as the cobra and the cobra exhaust is the best sounding mustang next to the GT350

The 13/14s will hold there value just the like cobra. Go drive the GT500 and see if you like. I think you will enjoy it.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If you're holding on to the Cobra, thinking it may go golden any time soon, forget about it. Maybe in thirty years or so, but that's not certain either. If you want a Shelby, go for it and don't look back. The 13/14 Shelby's are a great choice by the way.

MG0h3

Established Member
I've been browsing 13/14s but I'm keeping the Cobra if I do. Just not sure if I want three toys to tinker with.

I need to go test drive one to really form an opinion.

efurlong

Established Member
I've owned two 2004 Terminators...no doubt they are really nice. I purchased a 2005 Ford GT brand new as well. My 2013 GT500 Vert is the best all around car I've owned. It's the quickest as well.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I've been browsing 13/14s but I'm keeping the Cobra if I do. Just not sure if I want three toys to tinker with.

I need to go test drive one to really form an opinion.
That's the best choice if it's feasible. Keep Terminator, add a 13/14.
I've got both, wouldn't want to be without either.

termcobra281

Established Member
Great info guys, I think test driving one is what I need to do I am sure I will love it we shall see if I like it enough to trade my cobra in because I do have a list of mods into it by now... engine wise its .20 over, ported heads, ported blower, smaller pulley, and darkstar wheels with coilovers, so I know I could do alot more with it I just cant afford both with a truck payment also right now as I would love to own both. So I will test drive and go from there if I am not blown away I probably will just keep the cobra and work it more which would be less money as I could put another 15 to 20k in her and make it really wild compare to 40 plus.... thanks for the feed back..

Mr.CuBaN

Established Member
I been thinking the same . 13/14 gt500. They look badass and they will hold the value . I have a friend that got a new 2018 after turning in his 2013, and he said he got it for 48k out the door!!!!! I am thinking i would never pay that much for a regular Gt . Rathe get aomething that whill hold value .

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Great info guys, I think test driving one is what I need to do I am sure I will love it we shall see if I like it enough to trade my cobra in because I do have a list of mods into it by now... engine wise its .20 over, ported heads, ported blower, smaller pulley, and darkstar wheels with coilovers, so I know I could do alot more with it I just cant afford both with a truck payment also right now as I would love to own both. So I will test drive and go from there if I am not blown away I probably will just keep the cobra and work it more which would be less money as I could put another 15 to 20k in her and make it really wild compare to 40 plus.... thanks for the feed back..

Honestly, you have a wicked Terminator. 13-14 GT500s are amazing cars as are all the GT500s. Test drive it to see if its worth the jump. I went from a 2014 GT to my 2011 GT500 and I regret nothing. My dad bought my GT so theres a chance Ill get it back someday lol.

But with VMP about to release the Gen 3 2650 for the Terminator guys, you have a huge performance boost available that would offset any advantage in power a Trinity GT500 has. The GT500 is a higher quality car, but as for raw performance, a Terminator Gen 3 would get you there.

Also, the blower upgrade would hold you over till youre truck is paid off. Then it would be worthwhile to look into a GT500. I carried a Harley payment and a car payment... for a long time. I wasnt very happy after a while. I wouldnt do it unless its a financially comfortable decision to carry 2 loans. My opinion of course.

fearthesnake

Established Member
There is really no sure answer anyone can provide to you.

I sold my built 04 Mystichrome that i bought new in 04 for the 2013 I have now. I like driving the GT500 overall better. These cars are just TQ monsters. I loved my Mystichrome but dont regret selling it.

To each their own and both are really awesome cars to own/drive.

You just need to test drive a 13/14 to see if you like it. I plan on keeping mine for a long time. Ultimately like to upgrade to new 2650 TVS and built motor is my goal.
Good luck with your decision.

termcobra281

Established Member
Good point of view from all you guys, I will for sure have to test drive one... 50stang if you wasnt so far away Id love that but I did look it up and its saying 6 hours to you but with you having something far from stock I might love it so much that my wife would get rid of me after I told her Id have to get one just like yours with all the add ons.... lol

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
After re-reading this thread, you've obviously got a choice between the two cars mentioned. They are two completely different cars!
Do yourself a favor & ride in/drive a stock 13/14. You'll quickly see what all the hype is about. It's not dodge hype, it's real Ford hype.
There seems no end to the pull of a 13/14. You'll also like the upgrade in creature comforts. Also, the speed and ease of, is addictive.
I like my terminators, but the Shelby is a completely different ride. Sample it, then you decide..
As I mentioned earlier, it's great to have both if you can swing it.

white14/500

I just sold my 14 on Saturday... I loved the car but had to let it go so I could bring home another car. Unfortunately, I didn't hang on long enough and lost about 10K but if it cost 10K to experience 662 hp it was worth every penny. The way I rationalize it to myself is if I took a lesser car and spent what it took to make 662 hp it would probably be a wash so no regrets. Get the 14. Pretty sure I'll have another someday.

Clemson

Established Member
Only thing I really liked better about the Cobra was that blower scream. You can barely hear it on the 13.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully.... a 1971 429 SCJ Mach 1. I owned the car 36 years ago and have a chance to buy it back IF I can deal with the guy...

Got lucky enough to see a Pewter/Silver one exactly as you described a few years ago at a tiny Mustang gathering.

‘71/‘72s are cool cars with so much less love from the Mustang community. Good luck!

(No mistake made btw, ‘73s might as well be ‘74s)

termcobra281

Established Member
so I have decided to take lexustech48 advice and hold out for a couple years.... I think I could maybe swing the money for a shelby in a couple years and still keep my cobra so since I dont really wanna let my cobra go and at the same time I want a 13/14 shelby I could have both...

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
so I have decided to take lexustech48 advice and hold out for a couple years.... I think I could maybe swing the money for a shelby in a couple years and still keep my cobra so since I dont really wanna let my cobra go and at the same time I want a 13/14 shelby I could have both...
Good choice, the best of both worlds. There are many low mile garage queens being stored right now for you to choose from when the day comes.

Users who are viewing this thread