Traveling to Cuba

snakedoctor

Established Member
Now that the ban has been lifted on Cuba, Carnival cruises is offering cruises there. I'm really thinking about doing this as the place intrigues me. I've read that no cars have been imported since the 1950's and that most of them are still running. It's like a time capsule and I would love to witness it first hand. Anybody have any thoughts? Would it be better to take the cruise which allows you to explore all day and stay the night or would it be better to just book a flight.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Make no mistake, Cuba is a 3rd world country with a government that can not be trusted to have much interest in your well being. If you stick to the areas that are frequented by tourists you'll be fine.

Once the Castros (and communism) are gone Cuba will have a chance to become a wonderful place.

jacker1991

Established Member
As a tourist you will be treated as a king. Your security is more important than the lives of 100 Cubans, and everything possible will be done to please you as they are aware that tourism is their most important source of income. In many places Cubans will not be allowed in, except those that work there, so if you are looking to see how the people live you will have to go into the cities and away from the hotels. All American cars will be from the 50/60s, and the newer cars are Chinese. If you are married then be really careful, girls will throw themselves at you, ages 13+. Hence why quite a few guys go to Cuba regularly to have sex with under-aged girls. Getting laid no longer requires a direct cash transaction, you take them out to a club or to a restaurant to show them a good time and well...hold on.

Source of info: My head, I am Cuban.

P.S. Cuba will be a PoS with the Castros and many years after the Castros leave. Those who can/will take over are cut from the same cloth and even if they weren't, the way most people live in Cuba is not compatible with any other system.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
^^ wut he said.

Cuba has been a tourism destination for Europeans for decades. The Cuban government has always allowed US citizens to travel there, it was our own government that would threaten to prosecute you if you travelled there. Long story short, you would travel to a place that could care less, they would staple a blank page in your passport, stamp you out, Cuba stamped you in, you tore out page when you got back to whatever country outside the US you started from.

Just like any country, follow the rules and be courteous.

If you think Cuba is a squalled crap hole, try visiting St. Croix (a US territory) and heading anywhere beyond the hotel resort. You quickly realize that it is a third world country. I dread going there for work. But, I love the food....

Myusername

Established Member
OP, I just booked a royal Caribbean cruise for June. The royal Caribbean agent said it's actually really cool and a lot of fun. He went to check it out. He did say tho there is a $75 charge per person for a visa to get into the country. He said I would pay that when I get there

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
My Father and Brother just went down to Cuba for a vacation.
They started off on the cheap, staying at $35 BnB's in small towns avoiding the normal tourist locations, and at the end after slumming for almost 2 weeks they upgraded to 5 star resorts which would be a solid 2 star in any other country.
They saw classic American cars everywhere, but a lot of them had been converted to Mercedes Benz diesel engines.
As someone mentioned above, almost everything is in a dilapidated state, with stray dogs running amok, prostitutes everywhere, and definite signs of poverty.

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Can you guys see the above images?
They display fine in the preview, but show as "X IMG" in published post.
Do Photobucket images work ok on here?
My signature pic which is also hosted on Photobucket has the same issue.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
FINE list of {img} icons there .. not a pic in sight. you may have copied the wrong link but i have no idea

nxhappy

Established Member
canadians have been going there for years. you will be safe lol. should be a fun destination.

nxhappy

Established Member
what other stops are on the line up for that cruise? I'll let you know if it's worth it lol .

Kevins89notch

Established Member
canadians have been going there for years. you will be safe lol. should be a fun destination.

...and not just a couple either. I think I once heard 4 million a year. Hell, Conan filmed a show there. While I agree it would be cool to go, it's far from extreme as some make it sound. A friend was trying to get me to go but I already have another trip planned and some big purchases I should be making soon...so I said no. Maybe next year.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I haven't been but, I've heard nothing but bad things from friends and family who have gone to Cuba. They all say its very sketchy. That they felt unsafe the entire trip.

nxhappy

Established Member
the cruise line is not going to take you to a very sketch place, they don't want the bad rep or liability. A few days there won't hurt. Hell, millions of tourists go to Mexico each year and that country is REALLY ****ed up.. you just have to use common sense ie don't want alone at night and don't leave your shit laying around. If you have been to Mexico, Cuba will be about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread