Upcoming timeframe on the next GT500 and speculation

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
it's a shame we're still guessing what the new GT500 will be, when the direct competition already has a Zl1, Hellcat, and upcoming Demon and Zl1/Z28. Ford really needs to start letting the cat out the bag if there truly is anything on the horizon. I for one just bought a used SRT392, and can't wait to get into a Hellcat.
I agree sir. I post that question up on almost every thread for the new GT500.
I would add the Z06 in that mix of cars as well as the ones you mentioned.
Ford,.......if you're reading, throw us something! lol
At least let us know that there is a new GT500 coming.

I remember before the Hellcat came out. It boosted over 600HP and all the hype it had.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
I'm hearing the twin 5.0 was too expensive to hit their price point and they went with blown 5.2 that started being delivered last week.
So, Chevrolet is coming out with a 6.2L DOHC monster and Fords going backwards 10 years to something smaller than the original 5.4L GT500 powerplants? Yes, I know the heads are slightly better out of the box but the eternal Achilles heal for Ford is the lack of cubic inches. I don't think I'm ready to buy into this one. Not saying you're not right, just saying I hope you're wrong.

DepWraith

Established Member
I hope I am too, trying to get some more info. I do think however that plenty of power can be made on the 5.2 and coupled with the new 10 speed (along with use of lighter materials/carbon fiber) that it would be very competitive.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Oh sure, plenty of power can be made no doubt but just imagine what the Chevy guys will be able to do with a 6.2L platform capable of 440 cubic inches & some monster ported 4 valve heads. They won't even need a blower to decimate the GT500.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Ford just needs to make the GT500 Turbo and AWD.

That would solve all of these issues.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Please,..........no AWD.
It's a Mustang, not a GT-R. Rear wheel drive,.......good ole' American muscle car power. \m/

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So youre wanting a 6 figure mustang. LOL. Dumb.

No.

Evolution. Cars are making crazy power time to start making it so they can effectively apply if.

GT350R is already $55k MSRP. GT500 is going to easily be $70k.

I'm sure anyone can slap a turbo kit on a GT350 or Coyote and make it faster at that price.

I'm sorry but a 5.2 Supercharged engine is not sounding very exciting unless the long Block can support 1,500whp off the factory floor and has all the bells and whistles - dry sump, etc.

AWD is a logical procession.

Ford wants the Mustang to be a international platform. It's no longer strictly a SRA poor
mans drag car.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So 5.2 GT350 motor with standard crank and TVS2650? Use the 10spd auto and basically all the GT350 goods (brakes, suspension, etc) with a few upgrades and the '18 interior/electronic upgrades?
Sounds decent to me, but I hope we all see it at the NY auto show.
Looks like my '14 will stay special but this could work, too bad the twin turbo 5.2 didn't fly.
-J

DepWraith

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me to see AWD in the NEXT generation of Mustangs, but for now it just isn't mechanically feasible with this platform. I too was really hoping they would work the bugs out on the TT 5.0 and although I don't have 100% they dropped it, it sure is looking that way. Pricing should be around 72 to 75 from what I've been told.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Corbic, we've had 1500hp capable blocks from ford for over 20 years. The 4.6 teksid's and 5.4 fgt blocks are literally of the very best. (koennigseggs upstages imho)

Ford gt's with fully built and concrete filled blocks are doing 293mph in a standing mile. That's insane.

Separate of that, I see fitting essentially an engine the size of a dishwasher into an alpha chassis or corvette quite difficult. I am excited to see it happen though.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Handling and chassis wise, I see the zl1 staying ahead of the gt500. If the zl1 is already beating the gt350r on priliminary testing mt's figure 8, 23.1 vs 23.3 then I don't see what other magic ford could bring to the table considering a supercharged mill will just add nose weight and convolute handling balance.

Regardless, these cars are so fast off the showroom floor that you just can buy what you like and give two sh*ts or buy what's .8% faster here or .1% slower there.

Regardless of performance and price (relatively speaking) a person that wants a mustang will buy a mustang/cobra/gt500, and a person who wants something else will buy something else.

It can easily be argued that the better bet than either of these is xyz because abc performance stat, def test result, ghi mod potential, jkl looks etc etc etc.

But no, awd isn't a good play in my opinion unless it's optional like amg did

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
No.

Evolution. Cars are making crazy power time to start making it so they can effectively apply if.

GT350R is already $55k MSRP. GT500 is going to easily be $70k.

I'm sure anyone can slap a turbo kit on a GT350 or Coyote and make it faster at that price.

I'm sorry but a 5.2 Supercharged engine is not sounding very exciting unless the long Block can support 1,500whp off the factory floor and has all the bells and whistles - dry sump, etc.

AWD is a logical procession.

Ford wants the Mustang to be a international platform. It's no longer strictly a SRA poor
mans drag car.

It's always been that way since the GT500's came back in regards to comparing a GT with aftermarket FI to a stock GT500.
Nothing new.

AWD isn't logical especially when they have no AWD vehicle that comes close to the power level of the next GT500. All that R&D will drive up the cost.
Or 1,500rwhp supporting internals/engine from factory. L o l

conceptmachine

Established Member
Handling and chassis wise, I see the zl1 staying ahead of the gt500. If the zl1 is already beating the gt350r on priliminary testing mt's figure 8, 23.1 vs 23.3 then I don't see what other magic ford could bring to the table considering a supercharged mill will just add nose weight and convolute handling balance.

Regardless, these cars are so fast off the showroom floor that you just can buy what you like and give two sh*ts or buy what's .8% faster here or .1% slower there.

Regardless of performance and price (relatively speaking) a person that wants a mustang will buy a mustang/cobra/gt500, and a person who wants something else will buy something else.

It can easily be argued that the better bet than either of these is xyz because abc performance stat, def test result, ghi mod potential, jkl looks etc etc etc.

But no, awd isn't a good play in my opinion unless it's optional like amg did
It will beat it in more ways than 1 and that's what's important. If all the tracks were short figure 8s your theory may hold water but that's not the case. I'm sure they will balance it fine. Maybe move the battery in the trunk. It was also noted of new supercharger/ turbo set up that is much lighter, more efficient and makes its power instantly at any rpm. It will beat the zl1 I all facets, I have little doubt, however I have zero doubt it will clobber it running the straights.

Beercules

Established Member
I'm merely following Ford's movement as of late - small displacement. When fuel prices eventually rise, they may go much higher than ever before. As much as fuel efficiency isn't making major gains with decreased engine size in RWD performance applications, there is no doubt in my mind that the automakers are looking to continually shrink powerplant size as much as possible.

Prices won't go higher than they were. Might never get to the level they were again. As soon as commodity stocks decrease enough for prices to rise, frackers start back up. Google up Fracking 2.0. Automation is making frackers more efficient, making oil prices drop even more. Opec let the genie out the bag when they let oil prices increase enough to develop fracking.
Now we just need to find a way to pull co2 out of the atmosphere to make something useful.

Users who are viewing this thread